BRP Magic

SDLeary

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was the project editor for this book. I hope Narl won't kill me when I tell you that essentially it is Basic Magic. However, I spent quite some time going through the whole thing, and updating it to the BRP core rules. Any specific RQIII isms were pulled out: for example, any references to Fatigue, Hit Locations, Strike Ranks, etc. They were either converted to the core BRP equivalent, or smoothed into something else. Existing errata was also incorporated into the book.

If anyone has futher questions, feel free to ask. It's been a while since I worked on this, so my memory may be fuzzy, but I'll do my best to answer.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Any chance of small tweaks that incorporate the more advanced mechanics used by M-RuneQuest? I mean, RQIII magic was essentially an endless sequence of reasons why you should lose POW, often in ways that did not give you anything in return (see TotRM #12) and were totally disconnected from character development for the most part (a sorcerer with an INT spirit is stronger than a more skillful sorcerer). While the Big Gold Book has good reasons to exist as a complete compendium of ALL BRP versions and settings, having the old RQIII magic system in the shops together with RuneQuest II will possibly produce a sensation of "old" stuff that are way less usable than their Mongoose equivalent.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Any chance of small tweaks that incorporate the more advanced mechanics used by M-RuneQuest?

No. The Magic Book will essentially give you the play style of RQIII, while using the basic BRP rules.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I agree! And even if I don't end up using it I will pick it up just to support the BRP line.

I am not very pleased by how this is turning out. As an old skooler myself, I know exactly how much houseruling that ruleset needs to produce a game that suits modern tastes. If it was still 2006, I would be very happy to see this book. I understand it might have been impossible to do something else than this, but with RuneQuest II - that does the same three things, but better - in the shops, I am afraid it could do more damage than good to BRP.

Edited by RosenMcStern

I am not very pleased by how this is turning out. As an old skooler myself, I know exactly how much houseruling that ruleset needs to produce a game that suits modern tastes. If it was still 2006, I would be very happy to see this book. I understand it might have been impossible to do something else than this, but with RuneQuest II - that does the same three things, but better - in the shops, I am afraid it could do more damage than good to BRP.

I don't agree, honestly. I ran an RQIII campaign a few summers ago, for a group that was evenly mixed between people who'd been fans of RQ 'in the day' as well as players who were new to RQ as well as Glorantha. They had no idea what to expect, and they loved the magic rules. Ironically, they specifically thought the Sorcery rules were awesome.

And, this was completely without any house ruling at all.

I think the BRP magic rules are fine, and work great as-is.

We also don't have a problem with the RQ3 magic rules as written, but then we play pretty low powered games. Almost every objection I've seen comes from the point of view of campaigns with multiple skills over 100 and lots of magic matrices and bound spirits. Mind you, the rules allow for those things too - ideally you want your magic to work equally well at all levels.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I've run the RQIII Magic rules either as is or with minor house ruling off and on since the late eighties and whilst there are a few niggles I'd like to remove, they are mostly things I have noticed from GMing multiple campaigns, NOT player complaints. As for the MRQ2 comparison - The Magic Book is listed as $14.95 SRP, MRQ2 IIRC is $39.99...

Cheers,

Nick

I don't agree, honestly. I ran an RQIII campaign a few summers ago, for a group that was evenly mixed between people who'd been fans of RQ 'in the day' as well as players who were new to RQ as well as Glorantha. They had no idea what to expect, and they loved the magic rules. Ironically, they specifically thought the Sorcery rules were awesome.

They are a good ruleset, possibly ahead of their time. In disagreement with people who consider the RQIII sorcery (sorry, wizardry) unplayable, I have played plenty of campaign based on that ruleset that were extremely satisfactory, with spectacular uses of magic that outshadow any D&Dish spell-slinging.

However, there are a few known issues. Specifically, there are rules that reward bad, out-of-character interpretation of your adenturer. Like the sorcerer that ransacks the Spirit world for INT and POW spiritts being way, way more effective than the guy who actually studies his spells and skills. Or the character who acts in defense of his Faith never becoming a priest because he uses up his 1-use magic and he needs 10 points to qualify, while the guy who hoards his magic does.

Not addressing these points - which are very well known issues that have been changed by every iteration of RuneQuest, published or unpublished, written after 1990 - is somehow a lost opportunity. Especially because it was rather easy to include an optional rule addressing the specific issues. But maybe there was some good reason not to do so.

Edited by RosenMcStern

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like since I already have RQIII (and MRQII for that matter), I don't need to make the new Magic supplement a priority purchase. There are a lot of books in my "must buy" queue.

I sprang for the "BRP Magic" PDF not too long ago for reference purposes*, so this new one doesn't make my list at all. Yes, an updated version of Sorcery and Ceremonial Magic might be nice, but until I start using BRP for reals it would be just another book gathering dust on the stack.

* My RQ III boxes are in a storage unit, so consulting the dead tree Magic book is a bit inconvenient.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

What's the difference between this book and Basic Magic? Will the upcoming Grimoire be compatible?

Basic Magic is a cut and paste of the RQIII Magic Book. The "Magic Book" is the same basic text, but then gone through to remove specific RQIII-isms. No references to Strike Ranks, Encumbrance, etc. THings like that. It's essentially the same book, but tweaked a bit to be more easily-useable with the BGB.

I've no idea how compatible it will be with the Grimoire. I would imagine very.

• 2 months later...

How much longer till we can purchase this?

I'm hoping a year from now:) I'd honestly like them to put this one on hold and retool the book combining Grimoire, Witchcraft and the old Bronze Grimoire into one big tome of magical mayhem. Probably won't happen, but a guy can wish...

I agree with this, I have most RQ2 and RQ3 books and i dont find any of it really requires much houseruling (However i DO use the SR, Fatigue and hit location rules from BGB). Once the optional rules from BGB are in use the game is not a lot different to RQ3 anyway.

I actually made the mistake of buying Basic Magic, Basic Creatures, Basic Gamesmaster not realising they are exact copies of material i already had (and already had multiple copies since i had RQ3 games workshop edition and deluxe adition from Avalon Hill?) so i was a little irritated that they was published in the RQ3 format to begin with. The edited version described here sounds like what basic magic/gamesmaster/creature should have been from the start to me... However i wont buy them due to already having the material essentially :) and whilst its good enough to have 3 copies of it... its not so good i need 4 copies *Grin*

Also i would like to add as a title... Basic Magic / Basic Gamesmaster / Basic Creatures should not be named thus... Basic Roleplaying is multi-genre and the 3 books named are very fantasy specific books and the title should reflect that imo.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a thing of beauty. Any chance of being able to incorporate Chaotic Melds from Corum and Loz's magic system from Unknown East?

Or maybe the system from Nephilim?

No comment. B-)