BRP Magic

SDLeary

I'm hoping a year from now:) I'd honestly like them to put this one on hold and retool the book combining Grimoire, Witchcraft and the old Bronze Grimoire into one big tome of magical mayhem. Probably won't happen, but a guy can wish...

Well, some of the Bronze Grimoire is already in the BGB if memory serves. BGB sorcery has bits from both Elric Core Rules and Bronze Grimoire I think.

I've said this many times before ( many, many times :P ) but what I'd like to see would be:

BRP Magic

Chapter 1: Magic...err..magic the first Powers system for BGB Loads of new spells, mind you Classic Fantasy Vol 1 has a couple of hundred of these so this might be redundant

Chapter 2: Sorcery, all the remaining spells from Elric/Stormbringer plus remaining spells from the Bronze Grimoire, plus the sorcery spells from the now out of print Gods of Law and Gods of Chaos monographs. All suitably edited and BRPised. This would give what 70-80 spells, maybe more ?

Chapter 3: Runic Sorcery, from Bronze Grimoire, suitably edited and with many new runic sorceries

Chapter 4: Spirit Magic, as is but with all the spells from the old editions of Runequest suitably de gloranthasised

Chapter 5: Divine Magic as with spirit magic, there were loads of divine magic spells for RQ2/3. Again de gloranthasise, allocate to the deity archetypes in Basic Magic ( hell, put some new archetypes in )

Chaper 6: Wizardry, cull all the sorcery spells from RQ2/3 edit accordingly and add to the mix.

The beauty of this is most of the material already exists, it's a matter of compiling and editing rather than creating new stuff. Though chapters 1 and 3 would require new material.

I don't think Witchcraft and Grimoire should be compiled in this fashion they're monographs not 'official' publications ( if you see what I mean ) and thus should be allowed to stand on their own merits and to the credit of the authors

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No comment. B-)

cruel...

(hurray! I'm guessing fun Nephilim stuff!)

The beauty of this is most of the material already exists, it's a matter of compiling and editing rather than creating new stuff. Though chapters 1 and 3 would require new material.

It's a great listing, but it leaves out my favorite systems. Elric! demon summoning (and the excellent tweaks from Corum) still gets no love. The Virtues system from Gods of Law is brilliant and should be brought back out for 'something.' Chaotic Melds, Constructs, Elemental Tattoos, Fetishes, all lost to current publication. The system in The Unknown East should be dusted off.

At least it looks like Nephim may get some love. :)

70/420

I'm hoping a year from now:) I'd honestly like them to put this one on hold and retool the book combining Grimoire, Witchcraft and the old Bronze Grimoire into one big tome of magical mayhem. Probably won't happen, but a guy can wish...

Ah ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa! I love you, you crazy cat, but I think I've been in outer space so long that Chaosium have forgotten who I am.

cruel...

(hurray! I'm guessing fun Nephilim stuff!)

It's a great listing, but it leaves out my favorite systems. Elric! demon summoning (and the excellent tweaks from Corum) still gets no love. The Virtues system from Gods of Law is brilliant and should be brought back out for 'something.' Chaotic Melds, Constructs, Elemental Tattoos, Fetishes, all lost to current publication. The system in The Unknown East should be dusted off.

At least it looks like Nephim may get some love. :)

Where are the elemental tattoos from ?

EDIT: Aren't the demon summoning rules from Elric in the sorcery section of the BGB ? I'll have to check. Certainly the demon construction stuff would be good, some of that does seem to have crept into Chronicles Of Future Earth

Edited by Agentorange

Yeah, the summoning rules are the same for the most part. I'd have to pull out Elric! to check but I think there are some minor things dropped, like summoning spot rules. The system just feels a bit hollow to me without all the extras.

Elemental Tattoos are from Corum (one of my favorite rpg books). It's only a short section but there's plenty of ways to fill it out and expand it.

I got Chronicles Of Future Earth a while ago but I haven't really given a full read through. I need to rectify that, as the book looks positively brilliant. But it reminds me, I haven't seen Shaira around recently...

70/420

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope! It just came in this morning, and I happened to be going by to drop off some stuff with Charlie. Should be shipping soon, I gather.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Hello folks, according to what you say, it looks like The Magic Book encompasses all Basic Magic (plus RQIII stuff), am I right?

- Spirit & Divine magic are present in both

- Ritual Magic (from TMB) includes Ceremony (from BM)

- What about Wizardry (TMB) and Sorcery (BM) ?

Is it a good idea to buy The Magic Book if I already own Basic Magic?

Edited by Ywen

If you have Basic Magic, you already have 95% of what's in The Magic Book. The only significant changes were:

Removal of RQIII-isms (any references to Encumbrance, Hit Locations, Strike Ranks, etc.)

Renaming Sorcery as Wizardry (in order to alleviate confusion with the Sorcery in the BRP Big Gold Book).

A few little bits and bobs were fiddled with here and there (notes on how many points of starting spells people get, etc.). But by and large, it's pretty much identical to the Monograph.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

If you have Basic Magic, you already have 95% of what's in The Magic Book. The only significant changes were:

Removal of RQIII-isms (any references to Encumbrance, Hit Locations, Strike Ranks, etc.)

Renaming Sorcery as Wizardry (in order to alleviate confusion with the Sorcery in the BRP Big Gold Book).

A few little bits and bobs were fiddled with here and there (notes on how many points of starting spells people get, etc.). But by and large, it's pretty much identical to the Monograph.

I'm confused now, the BGB allows hit locations, strike ranks and encumbrance ( certainly the first two ) as options. Does that mean the new version isn't compatible with those options? Also please please say that after nearly 30 years the errata have been worked into the document

It doesn't include them, because they're optional rules. I'm fairly sure the errata was worked in; I must admit that I came on this project at the 11th hour just to "BGB-ize" the existing text.

It doesn't include them, because they're optional rules. I'm fairly sure the errata was worked in; I must admit that I came on this project at the 11th hour just to "BGB-ize" the existing text.

Mmmm...ok they're optional rules, so don't we need a bit in the magic book ( maybe a side box ) that states 'if using the [insert rule here ] option from the BGB, then do x, y and z'

compatability should be our middle name :)

Mmmm...ok they're optional rules, so don't we need a bit in the magic book ( maybe a side box ) that states 'if using the [insert rule here ] option from the BGB, then do x, y and z'

compatability should be our middle name :)

If I'd done that, not only would the book be an absolute mess (having to insert parentheticals of that sort throughout), but we would have had to take into account all the other myriad optional rules. In the end, clarity and brevity won out.

If I'd done that, not only would the book be an absolute mess (having to insert parentheticals of that sort throughout), but we would have had to take into account all the other myriad optional rules. In the end, clarity and brevity won out.

Which I can understand, It's just I feel it wouldn't have taken that much space. For example a simple note for strike rank purposes each PP of a spell would add to the strike rank in the manner desribed on page whatever it is of the core rules would have only taken a line or two. Don't get me wrong you came to the project very late on as you say so I'd imagine there wasn't much you could do. Strike ranks and hit locations are two of the more popular options, especially for those coming from the RQ. Maybe a single page appendice at the back would have been a neater way of doing it

I'm inclined to agree with Agentorange. If there's an 'optional' rule in the core rule book, then by definition the rule it replaces is also 'optional'. Personally, I do play with strike ranks and a number of other 'options'. I would hope that if the magic book (or any book, for that matter) doesn't support certain options, or assumes certain options aren't being used, then it would say so on the cover so people don't waste their money.

It seems to me that the whole point in updating something to make it compatible with the BRP gold book is to make it compatible with all the options, since providing the options in the first place was the whole point of the gold book!. Especially in the case of Basic Magic, where the rules for Strike Ranks were already there and it took more work to remove them.

I find the decision not to acknowledge them confusing, to say the least.

Edited by Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

My copy arrived today. I knew what to expect as far as it being a cleaned up version of Basic Magic. The cover and layout look great and it will attract some attention on the shelves. The interior art is cool.

I've only read the introductory section, but it closes with a discussion of DEX ranks that is quite different from how I interpret them and how my group plays them.

Edited by Narl

129/420

The Magic Book really should have been a book of spells for the existing power systems in BRP. I hate to see that Chaosium chose to invest in this instead. Though I saw the value of converting the systems from Basic Magic, this release doesn't even succeed in that.

Why can't we get something like GURPS Magic or the Hero System Grimoire?

Well, There is Grimoire by Tywyll ( Matthew ) which does exactly what you're asking. It's been submitted so it's wait and see on that one. I think ( as I've said Ad Nauseum ) that Basic Magic could form the core of an excellent magic supplement. What's needed is somebody at Chaosium to have bit of vision on this one. Instead of endless retreads and tweaks of pretty much the same material it needs someone to step back and .....hell, I've said it a hundred times, I'm sure I've even said it in this thread ;-D