MRQII is now "wayfarer"

Bleddyn

Stafford and Mongoose split today

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vile Traveller

It sounds like the 'Goose thinks Glorantha (or at least 2nd Age) is never going to cut it. But then, we haven't heard the other side of the story.

I just want to know how much the RuneQuest name is going for ... ;)

I am not surprised, for Mongoose the Runequest line turned out to be a kind of

black hole that made lots of money disappear. I am just not yet convinced that

Wayfarer will do much better, there are many excellent competing fantasy sys-

tems out there, and at least in my view Wayfarer does not yet have a setting

that could attract a sufficient market share to the new game. In the end I would

probably be quite surprised if Wayfarer would survive for much longer than the

Runequest line did.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Well, that'll end the confusion over which version of RQ is meant by 'RQ2' in forums, and start a whole new spell of confusion over which game is meant by 'Wayfarer'

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Guest Vile Traveller

While what I've seen is certainly pretty good, none of the published settings feel like that have a lot of long-term potential. It may be just to give the books already out or in the pipeline a slightly longer lease of life. It certainly doesn't look like they spent long researching the new name - try typing "Wayfarer" and "RPG" into your favourite search engine.

Maybe this would be a good time for Chaosium to purchase the licence for at least the name "RuneQuest"?

The Mongoose Runequest II ruleset was better than its predecessor. Gotta give loz credit for that.

I would like to see chaosium become its old self again..

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

It certainly doesn't look like they spent long researching the new name - try typing "Wayfarer" and "RPG" into your favourite search engine.

Aren't you glad they didn't pick 'Glyphmaster'?

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Guest Vile Traveller

Hehehe ... no worries, that's just the working title. Now, for the real title, where did I put Greg's phone number ... :P

Okay, I think I can speak freely here.

Mongoose did not bother to inform the sublicensors that they were going to rename/repackage everything. There are sublicensors with warehouses full of books with a logo that will soon be unusable.

I wonder what will happen to C&C.

I had the opportunity to license the MRQII system last year, like Cakebread & Walton did, but preferred to redo everything with BRP (which meant two books already written, Crusaders and Merrie England, to redo) rather than doing so. I was right.

No words...

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Mongoose did not bother to inform the sublicensors that they were going to rename/repackage everything. There are sublicensors with warehouses full of books with a logo that will soon be unusable.

Wow. Imagine that.... Mongoose acted unprofessionally... I never would have seen that coming... ;)

BTW: just want to say that I am -really- looking forward to Merrie England. The BRP fantasy setting I'm working on is sort of a 12th-century England analog, with fair folk and dark haunted forests. I can see that M.E. will offer a lot of material to steal for it.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Guest Vile Traveller

I presume there's going to be a selling-off period? I though someone said something about the end of the year.

I'm frankly surprised at the name change as the system core seemed to be selling well enough with only the Glorantha line not working. My guess would be that they asked to keep the name and lose Glorantha and were told that they could have both or none. The name change alone is probably going to cut book sales in half over the next year as casual players assume that RQ is "dead" and people start offloading the books so they must have been taking a hit on the licence. Given Mongoose's ruthless attachment to the bottom line I can imagine it's distinctly possible that Wayfarer will be effectively stillborn. I hope not but who knows. The basic format (a half-size book with lots of settings) is in theory a good one.

I personally hope that Glorantha 2nd age material continues to be published in some form. It's a shame to see the RuneQuest name sink back under but names have a habit of returning.

It is not my habit to defend Mongoose, but I am not sure whether there really

was a choice, because announcing the end of Runequest before the agreement

with Greg Stafford was finalized would also have been a questionable and poten-

tially risky decision.

(Charlie Chan)

Still, when you decide something that might hurt one of your partners, it is considered good manners to inform him, at least. Actually, one of the partners was informed by me, after the press release. And they blocked the printing of a batch of books "just in time" after my email. Had they waited for Mongoose...

I wonder if Pete Cakebread & Ken Walton know this.

I would go further with "best wishes" to Wayfarer, but this would damage Pete's future work on the line. Loz and Pete's work deserve to survive this mess.

And BTW, I wonder if Pete knew of this decision before today.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Still, when you decide something that might hurt one of your partners, it is considered good manners to inform him, at least.

Yes, I agree. The partners have to be informed at least an hour before any press

release, not after a press release - this is really very bad style.

(Charlie Chan)

I really don't think he was.... Loz was hinting at it on another forum.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

My group is only 2 sessions into a new Mongoose RuneQuest II campaign. What does this mean for us? Can someone please explain in layman's terms to someone new to the game what just happened? What is this Wayfarer thing? Will it be the same system repackaged with a new name and maybe some settings? I am really taken aback here. Our campaign is currently based in 2nd. age Glorantha.

Laymen's terms.... the rules system continues under a new name, but 2nd Age dies off.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

My group is only 2 sessions into a new Mongoose RuneQuest II campaign. What does this mean for us?

If you have all the books you need for your campaign, there is no problem for

you. Mongoose's decision only means that there will be no new Glorantha 2nd

Age books published, and that those already published will cease to be avai-

lable this year. Otherwise the game system of Mongoose Runequest 2 will be

continued, now renamed Wayfarer, but with other settings. However, I doubt

that Wayfarer will have a long life.

(Charlie Chan)

Considering that most of the Mongoose products are on 4Shared.com... you would think someone has it out for them.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Greg looks like a real magnete for untrustworthy advisors and partners, at times. I hope Rick Meints is the exception to this rule.

I know you are upset here, but that's really unfair to tar Rick with the same brush. Rick has done good by both the HeroQuest and Gloranthan Classics line, and now that he's partnered with the powerhouse that is Jeff Richard, Moon Design releases are now nicely coming along both in terms of release dates and quality.

I say this both as a fan of their books and as a 3rd Party publisher who has worked closely on a very tricky and sensitive project with them - a project that many other rpg publishers would not have had the patience and balls to let see the light of day.

In short you can trust Rick

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain