MRQII is now "wayfarer"

Bleddyn

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew it Loz is at Moondesign..... today, lots of very interesting things happening today.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I found the press release and figured out what all was going on shortly after my previous post. They say Warfarer will be 100% compatible with the current MRQ II rules but I wonder a bit if magic will get somewhat changed. Namely in how magic is tied into cult membership. Since cult membership and gaining magic through advancing through the ranks of a cult is largely a Glorantha advent, I wonder if magic in Warfarer will be somewhat divorced from having to be in a cult to gain access to spells. I must also say that the choice of name for this new version of the system, Wayfarer, sounds like they wanted something that sounded similar to Pathfinder. Did anyone else get this same vibe?

I had a back and forth going on with him this weekend about the "sterling products" Mongoose produces. I knew something was up with how and what he was asking. And Glorantha is Loz's first taskings.... he did make the comment he would still work with Mongoose on the EC line...sounds like a dead product line again.

Edited by Bleddyn

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Yeah. Sounds suspicious. Loz joins Rick & Jeff in the same day Iss splits with MGP.

mmmmhh.

Why suspicious? Loz hasn't been with Mongoose for a while now, as I understand it, and he's definitely qualified to write stuff for HQ. If anything, maybe he had a non-competition agreement with Mongoose or something that just ended and freed him to do this, but I wouldn't say there was anything 'suspicious' about it.

Edited by Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Matt Spange seems to not be enjoying himself and all the catty humor on the boards at Mongoose.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

when I spoke with him this weekend he seemed to be reflecting on his experience with them, it almost seemed as if he was reassuring himself about his earlier departure.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Matt Spange seems to not be enjoying himself and all the catty humor on the boards at Mongoose.

I don't know, the boards seem reasonably reasonable to me. There's some concern about how compatible "Wayfarer" will be and some bitterness about the ending of Glorantha 2nd age. Other than that the main opinion seems to be wait and see with the people who aren't interested in Glorantha being mildly positive.

The 'critical mess" quip about the RQ/Wayfarer fanzine was a zinger.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I tried to post the news here around noon but the site was down.

Hopefully, Wayfarer will succeed and join the family of RQ/BRP/D100 games around.

RuneQuest

BRP

Wayfarer

OpenQuest

GORE (perhaps)

Paolo's system (can't remember what it is called, sorry, Pazio ???)

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

A few words.

My departure from Mongoose had nothing to do with today's announcement. It was purely down to my working arrangements. I've been talking with Moon for quite a long time about writing for them but I needed some space and time to relax first. That's done, and so now I'm delighted to be able take on a project like Harrek saga. The announcements though, are quite coincidental. Moon were waiting for a revamp to their website so that they could support an author blog for me. This was completed today, so no need to hold back on the announcement.

As far as the RQII/Wayfarer stuff is concerned, Matt did let Pete and I know quite some time in advance - so I'd be surprised if Cakebread and Walton were kept in the dark although I cannot say for sure. I think that something else like this was inevitable. RQ and Glorantha sales were less than stellar and any publisher has to look at the bottom line.

I wish 'Wayfarer' every success (hell, I wrote the system, whatever its called). It does signal some interesting times ahead though, which, depending on your view of things, could be a blessing or a curse...

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I absolutely LOVE the system but am not really a big Glorantha fan even though the campaign my group is currently playing in is based in Gloratha the Second Age. I know Sprange claims that Wayfarer will be 100% compatible with the current MRQII and nothing will change in the new book except for the addition of errata but I hope they include some clarifications on movement, charging, etc. I also wonder if magic will change at all. Magic in MRQII is tied to cult membership, which is a Gloratha aspect. Will magic now be somewhat divorced of cult membership in terms of spell availability, etc. I wonder?

Pete just resigned using a line from Hitchhiker's Guide

Mongoose Pete

Lesser Spotted Mongoose

New postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 am Post subject: So Long & Thanks for all the Fish Reply with quote

What with the big news release that RQ and Mongoose are going their separate ways, the time has come to announce that I too have resigned from Mongoose. Its been a hectic few years, but very educational.

Many thanks to all those who appreciated the hard work Loz and I placed into the revised MRQ2 rules. Indeed your glowing reviews and continuing support of our books have encouraged us to work above and beyond the modest gratuity we received. I have been especially pleased by the general congeniality of these forums and hope that you'll continue to help one another in the future.

However, as time moves on my interests meander and head-hunting offers become increasingly difficult to resist. I already have a few projects waiting in line so I shall still continue to write RPGs, but those waiting for an Ancient Greece source book might have to wait a while longer. Wink

So without whittering on any longer, I bid you all adieu. Take care and keep on playing!

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Dude! ISS is gone from their relationship with MGP. Then the authors of MRQII both jump ship the same day that MGP drops Glorantha (Loz and Pete)...this is nuts! You can't tell me that both of them leaving the same day this all goes down has nothing to do with this announcement! Matt Sprange has to be reeling and getting lonely!

With Pete gone, Mongoose also has lost another excellent author of its Traveller

line, and the turnover of the authors there is becoming a bit annoying - every

time I am beginning to look forward to something new from one of my favourite

Traveller authors, the next news I read is that he has left Mongoose. =O

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

As I already state, Loz left Mongoose a while ago.

There has been rumour of Pete leaving for a while, now, too.

I really don't think it's all tied up in a grand conspiracy.

Can Pete share with us what he plans to do next? He mentioned being head hunted, and frankly that sounds like it might be a fun game concept!

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Maybe I'm to blame for this. Mongoose is apparently tracking my credit card purchases in order to mess with me:) Two months after I buy MRQ1 they announced they were doing MRQ2. I just picked up MRQ2 a couple months ago and now Wayfarer is announced.

Kidding aside, I don't see how Wayfarer is going to survive. The two main authors have left and they've lost the brand-recognition that Runequest brought. It might have been cleaner to work out a deal to publish the books "in the pipe" under the MRQ2 logo and then sunset the game.

Kidding aside, I don't see how Wayfarer is going to survive.

Judging from what I know about the roleplaying games market over here, the

chances really are slim. There is hardly a niche for yet another fantasy sys-

tem, this part of the market is saturated, and Wayfarer would need a true

"killer setting" to make people even look at it. Well, perhaps things are diffe-

rent in Britain and the USA, and make Mongoose's decision look a bit more

reasonable.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I'm glad to hear RuneQuest is out of Mongoose's hands. They always rubbed me wrong as a company anyway.

I also believe there are too many BRP systems out there. The last thing I want to see is one more with Wayfarer. I'd rather all the great supplements and settings out there just work with Chaosium BRP. All these different BRP rules sets just amount to a pile of house rules anyway.

129/420

Can Pete share with us what he plans to do next? He mentioned being head hunted, and frankly that sounds like it might be a fun game concept!

http://moondesignpublications.com/blog/2011/05/23/welcome-pete-nash-to-the-moon-design-team/

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.