First thing you'll do upon receiving book...

Zane

This is for both those of us that haven't gotten the book yet, and those lucky ******* that have.

Okay, I'm curious, what is the first thing you're going to check out once you get the book (or did check out).

For me it's the Weapons tables, probably followed quickly by the rest of the equipment. I've been dying for months to see the Min DEX/STR requirements for for various guns, as this is something I really want to add to my CoC campaign. Our groups "Gun Fondler" just happens to be quite puny compared to the two women in the group. I've a feeling that at least my wife's character can handle guns he can't. :lol:

Zane

Skills and character creation, baby. I gots to make me some characters to get the feel for what's possible in the system.

Actually, I might hit the section on settings/genres first to see what yumminess is there.

But then, then I make characters! Starting with a savage hillman barbarian and heading on through the archetypes until I get to psionic space pirate lady. Or something.

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

Use to always go straight to character generation as that is the cornerstone of learning a game.

But when I got the book, it was straight to the bestiary and I pretty much stopped somewhere between Xeno Morph, Galactic Knight, Ninja and Pirate and said hmmmm? Jedi vs Aliens? Fun fun.

Now Im browsing equipment and powers trying to figure out the gadget creation rules.

Pretty cool book.

First non CoC Chaosium book Ive owned.

Darn... where to start?

First, check out the 100%+ skill rules.

Then, the Occupations / Professions templates.

Then, the magic systems, followed quickly by psychic powers and mutations.

Then, read and weigh up the major wound vs hit location rules to decide which to use - currently leaning towards the latter.

Oh, and then, pick up the cardboard packaging from the pavement, close the postbox, and go back indoors :D

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I've been dying for months to see the Min DEX/STR requirements for for various guns, as this is something I really want to add to my CoC campaign. Our groups "Gun Fondler" just happens to be quite puny compared to the two women in the group. I've a feeling that at least my wife's character can handle guns he can't. :lol:

Hehe...same here. I've instituted some houserules along those lines in my CofC game, as I had a player who'd made a STR 6 Investigator who carried around an Elephant Gun (his reasoning behind this being that the Investigator was an avid hunter who idolized Theodore Roosevelt). I took one look at his character sheet and suggested he pick a smaller caliber weapon, as he'd destroy his shoulder trying to fire the elephant gun.

My girlfriend is actually playing the group's "Gun Fondler" (and I think making the aforementioned player feel a bit of Rifle Envy), carrying a .45 revolver (loaded with hollow-point shells) and an M98 Mauser in the trunk of her car. She's got 86% and 45% with them, respectfully.

"A DM only rolls dice for the noise they make." -- Gary Gygax (attributed)

So... what did I do first? I poked around in the Settings section for a few minutes. Then I looked over general and combat rules, struggling (because my brain is tired) to find the disarm rules. They weren't listed in the index, so I panicked. I later discovered that they were "hiding" in the spot rules section - and they're under Spot Rules in the index, too. Silly me :)

I started trying to make a character - my hillman barbarian - but the lack of a printable character sheet disturbed me more than I like to admit. And then the parrots decided to go squawky and my concentration was broken. Still, I'm liking what I'm seeing here.

I'll see if I can't get back to Kinan The Unconquered sometime soon. And who knows, maybe someone will have posted a nice character sheet by then. Heck, it might even be me.

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've never read any incarnation of BRP (but played a few sessions of CoC), I'm going to get a strong cup of coffee, find a quiet place away from my baby daughter, who has a tendency to crawl all over me, and start reading from the first page. :thumb:

132/420

From what I've read so far.... The magic, psionic and superpowers are pretty good. I'm not too thrilled with the Sorcery or Mutation rules. Sorcery is pretty much just the spells from the Elric! RPG, the mutations seem like a short list of chaos features.

I loved the Creature section..... I was pleasantly suprised by the Xenomorph entry. >:->