MRQII is now not Wayfarer it is Legend

deleriad

What?! I know this has been said before and elsewhere, but I don't see the letters from all your books suddenly evaporating or one's imagination imploding because of this decoupling. I'm pretty sure most of the published books are not intended to be one-use-only.

I also do not understand it, but nevertheless I hear it all the time whenever a

game gets out of print. In my view it is a silly idea, for the reasons you mentio-

ned, but I have given up to try to fight this windmill. ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vile Traveller

Like "proto-Traveller" using only the 3 original LBBs and Supplement 4, I am attracted by the idea of "proto-RuneQuest". After many years of scouring eBay in the hope of catching an auction while the collectors were napping, I have pretty much all the original RQII books now, and the idea of a finite, closed and ultimately knowable game is very appealing ...

I get the same warm glow about Blakes 7 and Firefly. O:)

... and the idea of a finite, closed and ultimately knowable game is very appealing ...

Yes, indeed, no more unnerving new supplements with sudden implausible chan-

ges which ruin the setting ... :)

(Charlie Chan)

Guest Vile Traveller

Of course, then I would have to decide whether to go with the Haunted Lands as they appear in the original rulebook map, or the later Shadow Plateau ... oh, the potential for grognardy canon-mongering! death.gif

Of course, then I would have to decide whether to go with the Haunted Lands as they appear in the original rulebook map, or the later Shadow Plateau ...

Forgotten Realms, Sembia. The authors had left this nation undescribed as a kind

of playground for the referee and had promised that they would never publish any

description of Sembia. Young and stupid as I was, I spent months to design "my"

Sembia. Just when I had completed it and wanted to introduce it into the cam-

paign, a player came to me with the latest edition of the Forgotten Realms - with

a detailed description of Sembia, of course. X(

(Charlie Chan)

...the idea of a finite, closed and ultimately knowable game is very appealing ...

I get the same warm glow about Blakes 7 and Firefly. O:)

I get that from Rackham's setting for 'Cadwallon' and their wargames. Just enough info to inspire... endless room for expansion.

FR is (or was) expansive, but I've never thought of it as deep. ;)

LOL

I am so glad I never came in real contact with this system. Except for it's computer games, that is. Might be it was not that popular in Germany when I was young(er), might be RQ and CoC always appealed more to me than AD&D.

Life is good!

Whenever someone tells me that Glorantha is too deep, I point them at Forgotten Realms and laugh. rofl.gif

You should try the German DSA roleplaying game, there it seems that each pebble

along the road has a name and an (implausible) history ... =O

(Charlie Chan)

On this note, we were accused on one forum of deliberately stuffing over 3rd

party publishers who have warehouses stacked full of RQ-branded books. This is

absolutely not the case. The issue here is that said publishers dropped comple-

tely off our radar and, as far as we knew, they were not publishing anything - it

is fundamentally _not_ our job to chase after said 3rd party publishers. It is their

duty to keep us in the loop. If they had, like the chaps working on Clockwork &

Chivalry always have, they too would have been informed before we made the

announcement. It is not our intention to stuff anyone over, but we also expect

anyone operating a business using our property to take responsibility for their

own work. If you just tell us what you are doing and when, you'll find we are

quite helpful!

That's interesting.

Alephtar Games had told Mongoose about Merrie England: Age of Eleanor before they pulled the licence - in fact I hand-delivered two copies that Mongoose were expecting on the day they announced that they were pulling third party licences.

Shame, as I had already half written three or four supplements.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Is there that much bile for MRQII among BRP fans? I don't follow these forums that regularly, so perhaps that's the norm and I've just missed it.

BRP fans in general? No.

However, there are quite a few active BRP fans who don't like Mongoose that much.

To answer your question: no, I think that Mongoose Publishing is probably quite a bad thing for BRP - at least in terms of fantasy/historical campaigning. Strong competition, a more focused rules set, hell - a pretty damn entertaining rules set for sword & sorcery rpging.

Mongoose Publishing is probably bad-ish for Chaosium Inc as they are rivals with a similar product in a crowded marketplace.

However, RQ/Legend is a good thing for BRP, in my opinion, as it expands the D100-style rules and provides fans with more options/rules/scenarios/settings.

If there was emphasis (product lines) for other genres of rpging, using the BRP core, developed or pushed aggressively by Chaosium, then the relevance of Mongoose Publishing would probably evaporate.

But that hasn't happened in the 3 years since BRP's release, and there aren't signs of that ever happening. And, I blame the publisher for that.

BRP supplements are being produced, both by Chaosium and by Third Parties. They aren't being pushed aggressively, but that's probably because the margins on RPG supplements don't support aggressive marketing.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Guest Vile Traveller

I think RPG fans, in their (generally laudable) brand loyalty can sometimes forget that competition is actually good for the consumer. ;)

I think RPG fans, in their (generally laudable) brand loyalty can sometimes forget that competition is actually good for the consumer. ;)

Competition is good, but those competitors are a real nuisance ... B-)

(Charlie Chan)

Alephtar Games had told Mongoose about Merrie England: Age of Eleanor before they pulled the licence - in fact I hand-delivered two copies that Mongoose were expecting on the day they announced that they were pulling third party licences.

I think he was referring to Asterion Press with that comment.

Anyway, I was in direct contact with Matt Sprange yesterday via email, and he is now explicitly trying to make things smoother for third parties willing to publish for Legend. I cannot restrain myself from noting that he should have done this before, but late is better than never, so...

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Anyway, I was in direct contact with Matt Sprange yesterday via email, and he is now explicitly trying to make things smoother for third parties willing to publish for Legend. I cannot restrain myself from noting that he should have done this before, but late is better than never, so...

The licencing for Legend seems a bit looser and less expensive than the one for BRP (no up-front cost, no giving books to sell, no restrictions on the number of supplements produced every year), so is there any chance of seeing some Alephtar supplements for Legend?

The licencing for Legend seems a bit looser and less expensive than the one for BRP (no up-front cost, no giving books to sell, no restrictions on the number of supplements produced every year), so is there any chance of seeing some Alephtar supplements for Legend?

No. I have already made it clear with Matt. We have our own plans, and this new license will not change them, despite the great value of the game system.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I think I, for one, will delete Mongoose from any further consideration. This is the last straw...I'm tired of being jerked around and having them trying to sell a mucked up ruleset to me time after time. I mean, how many times are they going to try to sell the same or similar rules in a half-assed format of one sort or another. Answer: as long as they sell, period. Ditto for Chaosium, as I am not really impressed with the big gold book.

No thanks.

You guys enjoy your addiction. I'm out of it.

I think I, for one, will delete Mongoose from any further consideration. This is the last straw...I'm tired of being jerked around and having them trying to sell a mucked up ruleset to me time after time. I mean, how many times are they going to try to sell the same or similar rules in a half-assed format of one sort or another. Answer: as long as they sell, period. Ditto for Chaosium, as I am not really impressed with the big gold book.

No thanks.

You guys enjoy your addiction. I'm out of it.

I'm not addicted, I can give it up any time, really I can.

Seriously though, it's just a game, if the rules set doesn't allow you to run the games you want to then search around for something that does. The point is to have fun ;t)

Well heroin may have been a cheaper addiction option, after 25 years I'ld either be rehabed or six feet under'

Gotta love a RPG addiction, especially a RQ/BRP addiction!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Seriously though, it's just a game, if the rules set doesn't allow you to run the games you want to then search around for something that does. The point is to have fun ;t)

I think much of the expressed frustration from various people is because someone feels he has found a rules set that does what he wants, but the publishing company "jerks" him around so he can't enjoy the game he likes. If I thought a game stunk, I'd not care in the least how dysfunctional the publisher was. This is probably like the fans who get mad when the network cancels the only show they actually enjoy.

I don't know enough about this slice of the gaming market to be able to have reasonable expectations about what a company could be doing. For good or ill, when you move away from the Wizards of the Coast and Paizo end of the market, you are effectively in the "zero-percent market share" range. Obviously for someone like Random House, there is no difference between a book that would sell 1,000 copies and one that would sell 5,000: both would be way too small to bother with. But for an independent publisher/small press, the difference between 1,000 and 5,000 would be huge. I don't know enough about the economic viability of companies like Mongoose and Chaosium to have a reasonable expectation about how "professional" their books should be or how fast and frequently they should publish. Obviously it's easy enough to judge shabby behavior or irrational behavior, but I would have to know what the market could really bear before I could judge what one of these publishers "should" be doing as far as the quality and quantity of their books.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

I think we found the Firefly fan. ;D

Actually, I was introduced to Firefly long after the show was cancelled. I've only ever seen it on DVD. But I've heard the pain of those who did watch in when it was on TV.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."