daddystabz

MERP converted into BRP?

Has anyone ever worked on or seen anywhere a conversion of Middle Earth Roleplaying (esp 2e) into BRP or MRQ or RuneQuest?

MERP uses a D100 system as well so the conversion probably wouldn't be that tough. I just like BRP more-so than Rolemaster.

Yikes! I was going to suggest checking out the Thieves' World Companion, as it had BRP and MERP stat blocks for the same characters. But it looks like the downloads cover a lot of ground.

Well if you could read swedish it would even be more simple than that.

All of the adventure modules that where translated to the swedish version of MERP where dual statted with Drakar och Demoner Expert (Dragons and Demons) which was basicly a pure BRP system.

Otherwise I do recommend getting one of ICEs Arms Law (pre Rolemaster Classic) or you can just download Arms Law Conversions that should be enough to get you going. But since RM is an inverted Percentile system skills should be pretty easy to convert you just have to find the corresponding skill and keep the skill value as it is. The stats you can use the above downloadable document to convert.

I have converted a lot of ICE stuff for use with BRP and it's very simple actually. Just convert Stats and Skills and then you can just calculate all the necessary Derived Stats as usual.

• Like 1

Is this what you were after?

Seconded. I've been using this as a base for a Middle Earth FGII BRP game to great effect. The magic document is heavily inspired by the DECIPHER LoTR game, too, which is very good. Just turn on some of the heroic BRP options (or not) to suit. What I particularly like about Anthony's work is that Elves are Tolkien Elves, meaning they are unapologetically "unbalanced" the way they should be. :) Same with Dunedain in relation to, say, Northmen.

Good luck!

I'm slowly working my way through the three sections that make up Chapter 8 Equipment for ME-BRP.

My RPG group dried up recently but I have been able to rally some of the troop and am about to start the group going again. That's inspired me to get my backside into gear again with the ME-BRP project. Hopefully over the next few months I shall be able to post Chapter 8 (fingers crossed:) ).

Daddystabz, if you want pdf's of the chapters so far complete with images, drop me a personal message through BRP Central here with an email address I can send you the FileFactory links too.

Most MERP campaign and adventure books have a section on stat and abilities conversion to D20 and 3d6 based games IIRC. I assume that was to support D&D and Runequest folks in the 80's.

There is also The Age of Shadow, which is based on OpenQuest.

I was also gong to chime in with Age of Shadow, it excellently presented and has a nice flavour to it IMHO.

Apologies if anyone was trying to download the book over the last few days, but it was taken off-line while I updated it to v1.01. Anyway, it's back up now (should anyone still be interested :) ).

Kris

On 6/19/2011 at 2:45 AM, soltakss said:

Is this what you were after?

I know this is Thread Necromancy of the highest order...but any idea what happened to the file you were referencing? Anyway I could get a copy if you still have one?

Tywyll, while I don't recall where that specific link led, there was Fergo's adaptation hosted here on BRP Central, plus one more by an author I referred here; I think he may have uploaded his file here after that, as well. Finally I also recommend Age of Shadow. It's a monograph edition. If you need me to refresh my memory, I have all three works sitting around, so I can get more specific.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:46 PM, Baron said:

Tywyll, while I don't recall where that specific link led, there was Fergo's adaptation hosted here on BRP Central, plus one more by an author I referred here; I think he may have uploaded his file here after that, as well. Finally I also recommend Age of Shadow. It's a monograph edition. If you need me to refresh my memory, I have all three works sitting around, so I can get more specific.

Thanks for the info!

Do any of them do a conversion of RM/MERP style magic to BRP?

No, all three that I mentioned have magic that's based on BRP, but tweaked. None of them do the RM Spell Lists by magic "type."