What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think one of them has been done before......

Anyway, the selection on offer on the home page of this site is an attractive start, for sure. A couple of good sci-fi/fantasy world ideas, Rome and Vikings for history, and a post apocolyptic zombie world.

I guess ones that I'd like to see in a wishlist would include:

1. - The worlds of Phillip K. Dick and/or Bladerunner.
  2. - Dune
  3. - Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  4. - Ancient Greece/Homer
  5. - Dante's Hell
  6. - The Rennaissance (with occultish magical realism)
  7. - Spagetti Westerns (mixed in with Native American spirituality)
  8. - 1960's Summer of Love (mixed in with New Age wierdness)/or possibly an adaptation of the Illuminatus trilogy.
  9. - Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting
  10. - Time Travel.

That'll do for starters.

If you dig around on the web you should be able to find EPT:RQ by none other than Sandy Petersen (CofC and DOOM).

Jorune could be interesting. It was always handicapped by having a crap "system" riddled with typoes. I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to officially resurrect it but BRP would be my choice for Jorune or any genre.

I'm toying with an 'After Disaster' themed campaign idea in the tradition of Kamandi, Planet of the Apes, Gamma World, etc.

Maybe something anime/manga... like a mix of Bubblegum Crisis/Appleseed/Ghost In The Shell... with bits of Zeiram and the Guyver and Nirasawa's Phantomcore tossed in. Mixed teams of human/mecha vs. insane supernatural superpowered shapechangers.

Some crazy fantasy steampunk like Final Fantasy (mostly the mixing of airships and mecha with 'exotic fantasy'). The weird uber-ninja from Basilisk in a psuedo-Asian/Victorian setting with automatons, technomancers, homunculi, and airborne pre-dreadnought styled battleships. Mystical wardens sniffing out intrigues and clockwork menaces against a background of technomagical warfare.

My list goes something like this...

1. Pulp Setting(s), right now I'm working on a 1930's Pulp Secret Agent sub-genre. Additionally I've a 1930's Pulp Sci-Fi pilot setting or two bouncing around in my head for years, though it has yet to solidify into anything.

2. Space Opera, I'd be interested in seeing something that is new and original, but most likely will eventually just roll my own.

3. The Morrow Project, once I have the book in my hot little hands, one thing I want to figure out is how much effort it would take to update and run The Morrow Project using BRP. Likely go with something other than all out Nuclear War as the reason for the collapse.

4. Doctor Who, a year or so ago I posted some initial ideas on this to Yog-Sothoth.com, basically add a couple skills from the FASA version and you are ready to wing it. Adding specific creatures from the Doctor Who universe will take more effort.

5. Take Sandy Peterson's EPT for Runequest conversion and make any changes needed for it to work well with the new book. (Jorune is cool, but kind of feels like a diluted EPT set right after the Time of Darkness)

6. Tom Swift Jr. or something close

7. Something along the lines of d20 Modern's "Urban Arcana". Actually I'd love to see an entire series of BRP books along the lines of the d20 Modern books. I'm guessing most people didn't like them, but I like how they're more "building blocks" for different genre, rather than a full fledged setting. Though I think Urban Arcana is supposed to be a full fledged setting.

8. Cyberpunk

9. Traveller

10. Andromeda

11. Stargate - This setting just SCREAMS perfect for running a RPG in. I don't know of any existing Sci-Fi series that is better suited.

Realistically I'm far more interested in "building block" books, especially ones that let me mix and match genre's, than I am in "World Books". I like to do my own settings and adventures rather than running someone else's material. Granted as can be seen from the above list there are existing settings that I am interested in.

I would like to see Stargate SG-1 or even Stargate SG-Atlantis as an world in BRP or even. My wife likes both SG-1 and Atlantis and I would love to get her into RPG's.

I would love to see Planet of the Apes as a setting but I don't see that realistically.

Hmmm. From a game mechanics standpoint, a Planet of the Apes campaign wouldn't be hard to put together. We've already got the 19th Century firearms rules in the downloads section, which is where the ape civilization is militarily, although they are more advanced medically. We already have professions templates for doctors, soldiers, and such, and psionics rules in the new BRP edition. All you'd have to do is figure out appropriate ape stats vs. the conventional human stats. You'd also want to figure out appropriate stats and "professions" for the primitive humans. The human astronauts from the 20th Century always lost their fancy gear when they crashed, so there isn't a lot of gee-whiz technological gimmickry to figure out. Even the bomb-worshipping mutants from Beneath the Planet of the Apes didn't have much in the way of sci fi hardware other than their "god." It's basically a Western in which the guys in the black hats also have fur, and parts of the Painted Desert are radioactive. Ride 'em, cowboy, and please pass the bananas. :D

Planet of the Apes is a very cool idea but I think it's too small of a niche to have much of a chance. Terra Primate from Eden Studios for the Unisystem did a very nice job with the genre but the book sold poorly (at least poorly enough that they never added to the line).

I'd like to see some modern supernatural stuff other than CoC, or to add to CoC. Different magic systems based on "real world" magic traditions, etc. I'd like BRP versions of the Supernatural show and the Dresden Files or at least rules that allow games with that feel (I know that these are coming out in other systems, but this is a wish list).

Planet of the Apes would be cool if you stayed away from them coming to the 1990's with the baby. Also, you forgot about the Marky Mark version. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year!

Ironically, the "Marky Mark" version is closer to the orignal concept. The Apes were supposed to have an advanced culutre. The whole low tech thing of the first film was to keep costs down, and the twist ending was something added to the film during production.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'd like to see some modern supernatural stuff other than CoC, or to add to CoC. Different magic systems based on "real world" magic traditions, etc.

Incidently, you can download Postmodern Magick from SJGames E23 site. It's a sourcebook for Unknown Armies, in fact, but the fact that all the different types of Magick (sic) are all represented in percentile scores, it does make the entire book rather compatable with CoC and BRP.

Planet of the Apes would be cool if you stayed away from them coming to the 1990's with the baby. Also, you forgot about the Marky Mark version. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year!

There is also the Original Novel (plus Movie novels), TV show, and comic books (both from the 70's and 90's). As I recall the TV show had a fair amount of pre-collapse tech that could be scavenged (I haven't seen it in over 20 years, keep meaning to get the DVD set).

Of all of these, the 3rd movie, and the 2001 remake were the worst.

Logan's Run could be another interesting classic to do as a BRP game. I've never seen the TV version, but have seen the movie, and read the trilogy *years* ago.

Zane

I've recently been reading W. H. Prescott's "History of the Conquest of Mexico" and "History of the Conquest of Peru", and have been amazed by the depth and drama of the situation. That's a period which is rich for RPG pickings yet which has been (AFAIK) neglected so far.

Here's how I would do it:

- Timeline 1520s, after which you can veer from the "historical" timeline if you wish.

- The Inca and Aztec Empires are still at full power.

- The Spanish have just arrived in the New World, and are beginning to realised what they've discovered.

- Then I'd "supernatural it up" with magic and monsters, with 16th century Christianity, alchemy, demonology, etc, on one side, and Aztec / Inca deities and weird sorcerous powers, plus groovy mythological monsters on the other.

There is heaps of background to be researched, with alternative weapons, armours, beasties, not to mention myths, social structures, religions, and so on. Prescott gives exhaustive descriptions which can be pillaged, Campbell et al provide the religious back up, and then you've got lots of hardware in the form of ships, trading rules, political intrigue, inquistion, lost cities, weird cults, all sorts.

Could be a cool setting. Would need some very thorough research to pull off a sourcebook though.

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I would honestly like to redo my Berlin '61 OGL MRQ books for BRP. But alas they have no OGL to go on so Id have to actually really submit it and then before I do that Id have to yank the game off lulu.

I dont know, might be worth it though. Id much rather use the psychic/mutation/magic system from BRP for B61.

As also thinking of adding some low-key non sanity causing/mutation causing low-end spells (cantrips anyone, but a bit more powerful) that some characters could use regularly without the risk of going evil insane demonic mutant on the rest of the party. That way B61 could mimic some of the styles of play presented in Dresden Files.

And Im on board for th PotA setting if anyone really wants to put together a rules set and set up a PDF?

Jorune could be interesting. It was always handicapped by having a crap "system" riddled with typoes. I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to officially resurrect it but BRP would be my choice for Jorune or any genre.

I doubt there is any chance of an official new version of Jorune, the owners have no interest in doing one. There was a fan produced GURPS conversion that was in the offing but it seems to have disappeared. Personally I agree that BRP would be a better fit for Jorune.

What about a Le Carre style spy thriller?

As in Berlin 61 but without the Nasties?

I've just discovered the Vorkosigan books and am having lots of fun. I heard there was a planned GURPS book but that seems to be in some kind of limbo at the moment.

I think I'd rather see something like Vorkosigan, a relatively light-hearted and over the top Space opera.

I've recently been reading W. H. Prescott's "History of the Conquest of Mexico" and "History of the Conquest of Peru", and have been amazed by the depth and drama of the situation. That's a period which is rich for RPG pickings yet which has been (AFAIK) neglected so far.

Here's how I would do it:

- Timeline 1520s, after which you can veer from the "historical" timeline if you wish.

- The Inca and Aztec Empires are still at full power.

- The Spanish have just arrived in the New World, and are beginning to realised what they've discovered.

- Then I'd "supernatural it up" with magic and monsters, with 16th century Christianity, alchemy, demonology, etc, on one side, and Aztec / Inca deities and weird sorcerous powers, plus groovy mythological monsters on the other.

There is heaps of background to be researched, with alternative weapons, armours, beasties, not to mention myths, social structures, religions, and so on. Prescott gives exhaustive descriptions which can be pillaged, Campbell et al provide the religious back up, and then you've got lots of hardware in the form of ships, trading rules, political intrigue, inquistion, lost cities, weird cults, all sorts.

Could be a cool setting. Would need some very thorough research to pull off a sourcebook though.

I had thoughts of something similar, but with zombie workers and human sacrifice being an intergral part of the world (and woe betide you if you stopped the sacrifices!

The sacrifical victims actually would become minor deities/Avatars and are ness to keep: the sun rising, crops growing, world turning, THE GODS HAPPY.

A bit dark I know, but what can you do...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't find Planet of the Apes appealing much I've got to say.

What about a Le Carre style spy thriller?

With Chimps?