What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

The Tad Williams books would make some cool rpg settings. I haven't read through the Otherworld ones yet. I'm currently going through the Shadow March book series, but Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was amazing.

Personally, I like pseudo-historical settings, or at least, those that have a basis of the familiar. One of my favorite campaign settings was Ærth for Dangerous Journeys. Shame that it wasn't more fleshed out and fully realized....but thems the breaks when trying to re-invent the wheel against a corporation of crooks. Anyway, I like the interjection of mythology (or old religions) into a world. Sometimes, the pantheons and settings just seem to be weak or just stereotypical. And the names of places.....oh dear sweet god the names.... are just sooooo awful. If I have to hear about the elven city of Gelthan'yal'then'asura I'll scream! Adding apostrophes into something doesn't make it cool...just as slow motion hobbits in Lord of the Rings doesn't make them cool. Don't mean to rant, just my opinion is all. Apologies to all those living in the city of Gelthan'yal'then'asura. No offense intended. ;t)

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apologies to all those living in the city of Gelthan'yal'then'asura. No offense intended. ;t)

No problem. We usually shorten it to "Gelthan", the archaic form with the silly

apostrophes has been out of use since my childhood, 2,400 years ago.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Um - can we just assume that I've posted my standard rant about needing new, fresh exciting and original scenarios and sourcebooks that enable play (a la Griffin Mountain / Island, Arkham Unveiled, Sea Kings of the Purple Towns, The Traveller Adventure), rather than chasing the chimera of licensed IP or old settings that were popular once? I could type the whole thing out again, but I can't be arsed...

;)

Nick

Re: Rant. As other posters have said, I think Chaosium and Alephar Games are already doing that with Future Earth, Rome, Celestial Empire, etc. We just need the proverbial "killer app" that gets past the RuneQuest faithful, dazzles the Mongoose intiates, and zaps folks who've never played a BRP-based game ... or role-played, period. Fantasy is big with youth right now (all the magical kid and vampire lover series), so we need to tap into that interest without being too derivative (Harry Jackson Romances the Monster of Mexico, the RPG).

Guest Vile Traveller

I'm sure Peter F Hamilton had a very thorough read of Future*World at one point. One of his characters is even called Sheldon.

Since this thread is already quite long, perhaps start a new one asking for ideas

on new, fresh and original worlds for BRP ?

This thread may be old, but it is well-named. The worlds that we here nominate will most likely be similar to those that those outside of BRP would like to see. That will include generic settings and copyrighted places. One advantage of worlds based on existing literary or film properties is that they are more accessible to the players; they can learn more about the world in ways other than at the rpg session. And even in the USA, copyright doesn't last forever -- at least not yet.

Disney BRP, anyone? ;)

Worlds i like to see in BRP.

Jack Vance,s Gaean Reach. (I think that Pelgrane Press holds the license)

Wing Commander/Privateer universe.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

An BRP orc world. Two off my favorites is, Stan Nicholls First Blood/Bad Blood books and James Stokoe,s comic Orc Stain(Viva La Gronch!).

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Sadly, can't see Elfquest ever getting renewed.

Well, I see that WB has finally picked a producer for the projected 2013 ElfQuest movie. Maybe that will encourage Chaosium to renew, perhaps someone else may develop the RPG.:)

*fingers crossed*

Edited by hanszurcher

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price