What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

shaira wrote.

Howdy Sarge.

Did you ever come across a little paperback game called "Maelstrom", published in the UK by Penguin or some such, IIRC. It was set in the time of Shakespeare or thereabouts,

No, but now you mentioned it i shall do a search for it. Sounds Interesting, cheers.

:)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recall Maelstrom having some very well researched Elizabethan-era occupations, plus a groovy magic system. I think the game system itself was rather creaky though - excellent opportunity to fill in with BRP!

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Well for me it would have to be:-

(1), Skyrealms of Jorune - great backstory and IMHO one of the most under-rated RPGS of all time, and as I recall what I thought to be the first Sci-Fi Western setting in an RPG.

(2), Bladerunner - Not the PKD novella but the feel and the city of the film, it's just got a great noir feel.

(3), Noir of the 40's - Funnily enough. See above but without the sci-fi.

(4), Supernatural Western - but not like Deadlands where there's an undead horde in every boothill and not like Cthulhu where my players know just too much of the mythos.

(5), Michael Scott Rowan's "Anvil of Ice" - was always intriged by the idea that smithing and wizardy had been merged into a single mystical craft.

On another note, about something that was mentioned about power-gamers and getting products out there earlier in the thread.

I agree with what was said about Chaosium's core customer base, (myself being a 40 year old gamer enjoying RQ2 for 25 years) and new blood (munchkins) needed. I think that for me BRP has always been a fantastic system because it's not tended towards power gaming in the mechanic. It's much more about the characters doing extraordinary things through the stories and adventures that they take part in rather than in the high chance of success that their players dice role. In my eyes thats a serious distinction between how munchkins do 'it' and how serious role-players do it.

I've seen a lot of criticism for CoC recently based on the idea that why would you play a character that was small and frail and destined to fail in the end. (A gaming heresy in my book, all hail Cthulhu f'tagn f'tagn).

IMHO it's these types of players that Chaosium needs to start selling too, that way they can build more resources to develop for diverse game® types.

Just my opinon of course :)

125/420

(4), Supernatural Western - but not like Deadlands where there's an undead horde in every boothill and not like Cthulhu where my players know just too much of the mythos.

How about something along the lines of:

Its the late 1890s and some stranger shows up in town. The stranger buys an old worked out mine and large crates start to arrive...

or how about an adventure based around the real reason why the Lone Ranger uses silver bullets? Just where were the Texas Rangers formed to protect people against. Indians and bandits or something worse?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Atgxtg wrote:-

How about something along the lines of:

Its the late 1890s and some stranger shows up in town. The stranger buys an old worked out mine and large crates start to arrive...

or how about an adventure based around the real reason why the Lone Ranger uses silver bullets? Just where were the Texas Rangers formed to protect people against. Indians and bandits or something worse?

Interesting hooks sure :)

I'm working on the premise that the 'supernatural' of the the Old World (European) is just a colonial/greedy/contract breaking as the People that brought it with them. As settlers move west, that spirituality moves with them into the landscape of the indigenous peoples. The ensuing struggle for the land is not just fought with bullet and arrow.

Having said that I don't want a Vampires vs. C'hindi / Faith-Healer vs. Medicine Man fest either. :)

A number of years ago I read a quote from an Australian Aborigine, it went something like:-

"You white men have come here bringing this God of love and compassion with you. You preach about fallenness and sin and hatred and wickedness, but it is you that need this God and his teachings. If we needed him, he would have come to us too".

Always thought that that would be an interesting premise to 'play' out, given that it's my personal conviction that war/struggle is never about philosophy/spirituality/religion but always about greed/property.

K. :)

125/420

Interesting hooks sure :)

I'm working on the premise that the 'supernatural' of the the Old World (European) is just a colonial/greedy/contract breaking as the People that brought it with them. As settlers move west, that spirituality moves with them into the landscape of the indigenous peoples. The ensuing struggle for the land is not just fought with bullet and arrow.

Sort of a Dragon Pass concept with the White Man taken on the role of the Lunar Empire?

Well you never really know. But most guys who pretend to be female I understand pretend to be 16 year old cheerleaders and not 50 year old grandmothers. And how many guys pretending to be female would constantly talk about their new grandson?

Well, maybe some very feminine males. :D

In truth you cannot know it for sure, you can only hope that your real life GM rolls under your INTx5 during the online-chat with this person.

Sort of a Dragon Pass concept with the White Man taken on the role of the Lunar Empire?

Well I guess you could say that but only in the context of any Empire's colonialism given its significant advantage in terms of military force and technological advancement. The paradigm works for any imperial incursion doesn't it? (Greek, Roman, British, etc). The particular emphasis for the game I want to explore is the nature of the spiritual confrontation between the aggresive invasive force and the indigenous culture trying to repel; specifically our Old World (European/Middle Eastern) aggresive philosophies/religion/spirituality against the defending belief structures of the many Native American peoples.

Is the spiritual life of the people tied the landscape? Does a new country carved from the forced resettlement of others through confrontation and suffering itself suffer a spiritual bankcruptcy/famine through not being tied to the land? Is there any chance of future redemption for the aggressors that while permanent inhabitants, the spirits of the land cry out against them for justice? These are some of the stories and ideas that I want to explore, but with a 'Colt Peacemaker' slung on the hip.

Now I know that this could seem a little contentious but there is a different feel to the 'way the west was won' to other significant land grabbing confrontations in historical context, (apart I guess, from the Austrailan Aboringines). And that is that while the government of America supported the settlers the land was not taken all at once by a vast force but settled a bit at a time with claims being backed up and protected by the federal government as needed. This is also why I partly choose the Old West.

So I guess I've partly answered your question. It may resemble the Lunar Empire, yes?

Though I guess if we were going to continue this discussion we ought to pick this up in the Western thread and get back on to topic in this one :)

----------------> :focus:

Sorry.

K. :)

125/420

Anyone remember the animated movie Fire and Ice? That might cool to develop into a campaign.

How about Ralph Bakshi's Wizards as a setting? Post-apocalyptic mutants and elves, fairies, etc.

Two Bakshi movies mentioned on one page. Does my heart good. Speaking of old cartoon movies, anyone every see Starchasers: Legend of Orion? It's a bastard hybrid of Star Wars and Heavy Metal. It could make for a fun one off.

70/420

Two Bakshi movies mentioned on one page. Does my heart good. Speaking of old cartoon movies, anyone every see Starchasers: Legend of Orion? It's a bastard hybrid of Star Wars and Heavy Metal. It could make for a fun one off.

I've actually got the whole line of that old Wizards RPG, but haven't really looked through it. One of those impulse purchases.

Starchaser: Legend of Orin is pretty fun stuff... the Sword of Shanarra to Star Wars' Lord of the Rings (if that makes any sense).

When I was younger I used to collect a comic called "The Micronauts" based

on the line of toys. It was a very good comic with a very "Star Wars" feel and

I always wanted to adapt it to an RPG. I still own them all.

My last attempt was GURPS but that was to "realistic" to fit the feel of the comic.

I may look into this.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Well you never really know. But most guys who pretend to be female I understand pretend to be 16 year old cheerleaders and not 50 year old grandmothers. And how many guys pretending to be female would constantly talk about their new grandson?

That sort of goes with the whole pretend/fantasy thing. I'm sure women who pretend to be men pretend to be young handsome and sexy, and not wrinkled old granddads.

Think about the sort of character most people pretend to be when they play. It all the what sort of person would you like to be. Just in an RPG it's an open illusion. I'm sure most female players would like thier characters to be cloer to the cheerleader than the granny.

Back in the days when we used the tables from Judges Guild to generate a female character's vital statistics, I never heard one of the female players request a smaller bust measurement for her character. I did hear a "What?11 Mine are bigger than that!!" Once.

I've actually got the whole line of that old Wizards RPG, but haven't really looked through it. One of those impulse purchases.

Damn, I forgot those existed. I've paged through those books. I think Wizards is the only game I know of that has a dedicated skill for Fine Manipulation using the character's toes. The other thing I vaguely remember are the mutants in the back of the Scortch book. Fun Stuff! Definitely worth looking through.

Starchaser: Legend of Orin is pretty fun stuff... the Sword of Shanarra to Star Wars' Lord of the Rings (if that makes any sense).

Years ago I saw this film on HBO. I didn't catch the name of it and spent years looking for it, on and off. I finally caught it again and your description is pretty apt. In fact, I'd say Sword of Shanarra is to LotRs as Starrchasers is to Star Wars.

70/420

The other day I found some old notes of mine - I was once thinking at one time of doing a BRP campaign based on "Dark Shadows."

Betcha no one else thought of THAT one! :D

Dark Shadows and Highlander are two of the core sources for an idea I've had bouncing around since the early 90's. Of course I was originally thinking of using GURPS, though in the past few years that idea has switched over to using BRP.

When I was younger I used to collect a comic called "The Micronauts" based

on the line of toys. It was a very good comic with a very "Star Wars" feel and

I always wanted to adapt it to an RPG. I still own them all.

My last attempt was GURPS but that was to "realistic" to fit the feel of the comic.

I may look into this.

I remember those, I believe they had a Marvel Comics series, and that there was even a X-Men/Micronauts Miniseries (which as I recall was the limit of my exposure to them). Along those lines, "Shogun Warriors" could be fun, though I doubt it would work well as a campaign (another toy line with a Marvel series).

Zane

This threads got me all nostalgic. I must be on an animation kick because I'm thinking about how two different games would play out using BRP. First would be Thundarr the Barbarian, the second, that old Spartakus cartoon with the pirates, the turtle ship and the dance that we call Flashbic.

With Thundarr I'd be able to randomly shout out cool things like 'Demon Dogs!' and 'Lords of Light!', but with Spartakus I could play the cool menudo song in the background. And there are pirates...

Difficult decision.

70/420

Back in the days when we used the tables from Judges Guild to generate a female character's vital statistics, I never heard one of the female players request a smaller bust measurement for her character. I did hear a "What?11 Mine are bigger than that!!" Once.

I have heard women complain about the portrayal of this in games such as Everquest.

I would like to have Transhuman Space or something similar as setting for BRP. THS is an ultra-hard SF setting based on realistic assumptions and some transhumanistic ideas. It is a extremely detailed description of the status of the world at the end of the 21st century.

It appeared from SJG several years ago and it is absolutely fantastic. It is written mostly by David Pulver and others who took much time to make technological and political research and plausible extrapolations of these topics. As soon as DBRP is out I will try to transfer the THS setting from Gurps lite to DBRP.

Here is the website for the setting if anybody is interested.

Transhuman Space

I'd like something similar based on the Fundation books by Asimov.

I'm also thinking of developing a setting of earth in the far future. This is mainly to use animals I've found on books about the future evolution of the species. One problem is to find a plausible explanation for the existence of humans in the planet (all those books assume humans are long gone).