BRP Animal Fight - Great Cats, Bears, Horses and more!!!

icebrand

You friggin carebear!!! Animals do full str damage, and HALF AGAIN when hurt, unless they have the "berserk" skill, then its 2x and +50% to hit!!!

Thank god this is not a game where we have (Dis-)Advantages.

Once again, thanks to the designers & playtesters who supported this and BRP is what it is. You all did an excellent job.

That is just it. In BRP (as in most RPGs) animals (and people) are almost always hitting at full STR. Maybe it would be more realistic to have animals use half thier damage bonus until they get hurt or aggravated?

I would not make a rule out of this as it is more a gamemasters decision wether or not the animal uses its full strength for an attack. So yes, why not use a lower Damage Bonus until the animal gets hurt. :)

I would not make a rule out of this as it is more a gamemasters decision wether or not the animal uses its full strength for an attack. So yes, why not use a lower Damage Bonus until the animal gets hurt. :)

Animals would pull blows only as warning attacks. Several species do not even try that (i.e: a crocodile!).

Some other animals are so easily pissed off (badgers!) that don't pull blows either. If i had to go with a fixed scheme it would be:

Flee or Intimidate

if it fails, warning attack

if the warning attack works, the opponent flees. If the animal is still distressed, may try again, but if the opponent keeps pressing, all out attack.

Again, this fails on many animals (like elephants) that go from "im just chillin'" to "LOLNUBWTFTRAMPLED".

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Again, this fails on many animals (like elephants) that go from "im just chillin'" to "LOLNUBWTFTRAMPLED".

Elephants DO make a warning attack first. It's not even an attack, they just try to intimidate and run towards the foe. I tell you, that IS intimidating and you DO run.

For others like a crocodile (a saltie in particular) you are right, they do not give warnings. But then they are stealthy hunters anyway and are at the top of the food chain so they do not fear anything.

Sharks, even Great White ones, do warning attacks. Even when hunting, they bite their prey only a bit first, to get a taste of it. If they decide it is edible, they come back for the final kill. Depends on situation, sure.

This is the domain of the GM's judgement. There is no rule how animals are behaving in their territory.

Elephants DO make a warning attack first. It's not even an attack, they just try to intimidate and run towards the foe. I tell you, that IS intimidating and you DO run.

For others like a crocodile (a saltie in particular) you are right, they do not give warnings. But then they are stealthy hunters anyway and are at the top of the food chain so they do not fear anything.

Sharks, even Great White ones, do warning attacks. Even when hunting, they bite their prey only a bit first, to get a taste of it. If they decide it is edible, they come back for the final kill. Depends on situation, sure.

This is the domain of the GM's judgement. There is no rule how animals are behaving in their territory.

You can't call the Great White's taking a taste bite a warning. He's just taking a sample to see if he wants to order it for his main course. Predators who were in the habit of giving their prey fair warning went extinct a long time ago. The elephant and others who give a warning are not interested in eating you whether they eventually kill you or not. I think you have to divide animals into those who want to eat you and those who don't. Those that don't may give a warning so that they don't need to waste their energy (and risk possible injury) trampling you. But the ones who want to eat you (or are mistaking you for a delicious seal) should just get on with the job at hand of killing you however they can and then having dinner.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

Maybe I put the White Shark in the wrong topic. I wanted to say that even a white shark might not use all its Damage Bonus for the first attack. ;)

A tiger sure does!

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

A tiger sure does!

It MIGHT not! ;) You never know ... The tiger MIGHT just want to play with you, or scare you.

They certainly do Pulling Attacks when fighting over food about the right who gets the first share. ;)

But anyway, these are options to make powerful animal attacks less lethal. Wether the GM is using them or not MIGHT be a situational thing.

The topic was comparing animal characteristics and conclusion was the main concern is the Damage Bonus huge animals do in different settings/editions.

The characteristics are not really the problem, but the DB is. So I mentioned some methods to make these animals less lethal in the beginning.

Personally I seldom need the characteristics of animals or foes - their skills, DB and Damage is more often referenced, though. I do not see a hughe difference between a STR of 23 and 25. If that 'thing' is trampling on a human, the character is toast anyway. Depending on situation there won't even be the necessity of a characteristics roll. Even a 'harmless' horse will kill a human easily. No die roll needed when the situation is bad enough (the stars are right).

OK, in a Supers game, all this would look different. But that is a different situation - again!

Edited by pansophy

It MIGHT not! ;) You never know ... The tiger MIGHT just want to play with you, or scare you.

They certainly do Pulling Attacks when fighting over food about the right who gets the first share. ;)

But anyway, these are options to make powerful animal attacks less lethal. Wether the GM is using them or not MIGHT be a situational thing.

The topic was comparing animal characteristics and conclusion was the main concern is the Damage Bonus huge animals do in different settings/editions.

The characteristics are not really the problem, but the DB is. So I mentioned some methods to make these animals less lethal in the beginning.

Personally I seldom need the characteristics of animals or foes - their skills, DB and Damage is more often referenced, though. I do not see a hughe difference between a STR of 23 and 25. If that 'thing' is trampling on a human, the character is toast anyway. Depending on situation there won't even be the necessity of a characteristics roll. Even a 'harmless' horse will kill a human easily. No die roll needed when the situation is bad enough (the stars are right).

OK, in a Supers game, all this would look different. But that is a different situation - again!

A tiger clawing a human will either outright maim or kill, unless you are VERY lucky!

So, hit locations, and 2-3D6+1D8. It *MAY* get a 4!

A tiger clawing a human will either outright maim or kill, unless you are VERY lucky!

So, hit locations, and 2-3D6+1D8. It *MAY* get a 4!

BGB rules say 1d8+1d6(db) - so a 2 is possible. Still serious enough.

And: nope, a tiger 'padding' you will not kill you outright. If it wants, it might not even leave scratches on your skin - although you will have bruises. It is purely depending on the mood of the animal and its character. Zoo animals might be a lot more aggressive depending on their treatment and confinement.

Didn't want to pull this, but: Tigers in Africa tend to be more relaxed and you can even get close (10m) to them while feasting. If you have the nerves that is. Seen one tiger making an intimidation attack against a crew member coming too close. He got some bad beatings, without claws, and had to use straws for some days when eating, but overall it looked more vicious than the wounds actually were. He was lucky, no question, but survived it relatively unharmed. If the beast would have been after him, it surely would have killed the guy in an instant. I would not rely on this and I would not think this is true for lions as they are really unpredictable. But even here: you cannot say the animal will react by killing someone outright. You can also intimidate THEM, if you are really bold. Wave your arms, make noise like an animal and an elephant might stop its run towards you and retreat. Rely on it? No. But without any options, that's all you can do.

And in game terms: you might have a generous game master.

Hey, Pete, there ARE actually tigers in Africa. Thing is they are bred there in resorts and deported back to China. But they are no natural inhabitant. And that's where you can experience them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/12/01/us-books-tigers-idUSTRE6B021O20101201

Edited by pansophy