Characteristic Maximum

icebrand

Best Characteristic Maximum  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best Characteristic Maximum

• Maximum Roll! SCREW YOU!
    • Max+Min Roll
    • Max+Min; each +something counts as 1
    • Max+Min; each +6 counts as 1 (rounding up)

Ok, we were reviewing characteristic maximums (to tweak our RQ a bit) and i'd like some opinions :)

Maximum Roll: Whatever you can roll on maxed dice (2D6+6 = 18)

Max+Min: 2D6+6 = 18 + 8 = 24

Max+Min, plusses count as 1: 2D6+6 = 18+3 (the +6 counts as 1) = 21. 2D6+9 or 2D6+143 would still add +3 MIN

Max+Min, +6 counts 1: same as above, only a 2D6+9 would be +4 min, +21 would be +6 min, and so on

Edited by icebrand

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

I voted for highest roll. I could have voted for option 3 as well, but option 2 is too generous, and option 4 is too complicated.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, most stats aren't generated via 2d6+6, so the min+max formula isn't as massive as I had thought. Most times it would just be a bonus of 3, not 8. Doesn't change my overall opinion, just the way I come to it. :)

121/420

How about Max+3 (or plus the number of dice, if more than 3) ?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

How about Max+3 (or plus the number of dice, if more than 3) ?

That's what I've always used.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

For me, it's always been Max+Min with a few exceptions.

There's no Max limit on INT and POW. Human's play by different rules. I've always pegged them at 3d6 instead of 2d6+6, giving them a range from 3 to 21. When rolling stats for non humans, it's roll down the line. For humans, I allow either rolling 2d6+6 for all stats and placing them where the player wishes or doing the 4d6 drop the lowest and place where needed.

70/420

In my old RQ3 games, it was Max Roll + Number of Dice/Bonus.

So, 2D6+6 gave a possible max of 21. I can't remember if that was explicitly spelled out in the rules, but that's how we played at Sandy's, so I stuck with it.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I7ve gone with Min+Max. It is easy to remember, and allows for stats over 18. Useful since some people are larger than SIZ 18.

Biut, are we more concered with a species max, or a character's max? I can se having an upper limit for all humans, all elves, all trollkin, etc, but I don't believe every indudial has the same max.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The polling results are now falling in line with what I expected to see...

Moral of the story is you should just pick the one you like, since it's your game.

Well, 16 votes are hardly enough to determine any dominant trend, if one does exist.

So, 2D6+6 gave a possible max of 21. I can't remember if that was explicitly spelled out in the rules, but that's how we played at Sandy's, so I stuck with it.

Its explicitly stated like that in (Chaosium) RQII, I'm not sure whether or not it made its way into RQIII.

Having said that I think that Frogspawner's algorithm looks neater and if I hadn't internalised the RQII one I'd use that.

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Max+Min was invented for RQII, where all the stats were 3d6 (for humans). But the neatness of that idea broke down when "2d6+6" style stats were introduced.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Max+Min was RQ3 - RQ2 had Max + 1 for every D6 or bonus up to 3.

I prefer Max+Min as it is quick and easy. Sure, some creatures have a big Max but that's not a problem for me.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Guest Vile Traveller

That's the old RQ2 rule. Max roll + Number of Dice +1 for any amount of pluses. In practice it made little difference to STR and CON because of the highest-of-STR/CON/SIZ limit, but it kept DEX down to a reasonable maximum.

by max stat, do you mean max with spells and such, or max base (through training etc)

For my games ive had

STR/CON/SIZ = maximum is highest of the 3 for all 3 (However SIZ could not be altered naturally)

INT = Static

POW = maximum is min+max

DEX/APP = maximum is max x1.5

Spells add to these with no upper limit, however the effects obviously are temporary and often limited by other means (such as magic/power points)

I think this was how RQ3 worked

We mean max trainable/permanent attribute. Magic or Superpowers are not included.

Just wondering, but how often do characters actually hit the max? I recall Rune level characters in RQ2 maxing out stats fairly regularly, but since then it has rarely come up.

I'm going with max roll + number of dice/bonus since that is what is in the book (when the setting "needs" some sort of limit).

But some settings either can dispense with such limits (Stormbringer and no max POW), or have other limits in place for other reasons (my Jorune conversion has Isho limits based upon race and roll).

Ian

... RQ2 had Max + 1 for every D6 or bonus up to 3.

Oh yes. :o

Or rather, simply Max + Number of Dice (co-incidentally the same as Min when the only option was 3d6).

We mean max trainable/permanent attribute. Magic or Superpowers are not included.

Just wondering, but how often do characters actually hit the max? I recall Rune level characters in RQ2 maxing out stats fairly regularly, but since then it has rarely come up.

Well, in my group: originals in parenthesis)

Vilfrid (Orlanthi): STR 17 (12) [24 due to permanent magic] - CON 18 (14) - DEX 18 (14) - SIZ 20 (17)

Parkar (Humakti): STR 17 (8) - CON 17 (4) DEX 18 (12) - SIZ 16

Alsbo (Sorecerer): STR 14 (14) [28 due to permanent magic] - CON 17 (13) - DEX 16 (i dont recall the base) - SIZ 14

Avril (Sorceress): STR 9 - CON 18 (11) - DEX 18 (14) - SIZ 9

Of course, we don't limit stats on siz, we just plain don't like that. Current cap is max roll, the RQ 3 versions had quite a bit more stats

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

• 2 weeks later...