BRP Hardback?

Pnick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always a bit sceptical about glued books. But they were sturdy you say?

SGL.

I just realized... are you talking about the Mongoose books or the CoC special edition? The mongoose ones were glued of course and fell apart quickly. I never snagged a Copy of the Leather CoC book so I couldn't tell you if it were glued or stitched. I suspect it was stitched, but I won't know till I snag one off of E-bay. ;)

During the 1800's it wasn't unusual for Doctors to use "extra" pieces lying around to cover their books. Nor was it unusual to have "special" leather harvested from executed criminals. Some times the record of their trial and execution would be bound with their own flesh. :D

Some times the record of their trial and execution would be bound with their own flesh. :D

Sunwolfe grins...well, wolfishly...and rubbing his hands together glances slyly from side to side.

Hmmm...now that gives me an idea >:->

Muuhahaha!

Oh...:focus:

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

• 2 weeks later...

You're right, some hardback gaming books are terribly bound like the old Unearthed Arcana from 1st AD&D. I think that book fell apart with my first reading.

Does anyone remember the hardback edition of Stormbringer that GDW released in association with Chaosium? The one where all the pages fell out about 2 days after purchase, despite trying to be as careful as possible when handling it?

:lol:

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

Does anyone remember the hardback edition of Stormbringer that GDW released in association with Chaosium? The one where all the pages fell out about 2 days after purchase, despite trying to be as careful as possible when handling it?

Yup! I own that one too. ;-(

BRP Ze 32/420

Yes. I bought one when it first came out and by the end of the month I was gutted. Its lived in a lever arch file since then. Saying that I bought one on ebey recently on the basis it had all its pages and figured that if they hadn't fallen out in 20 years, they won't fall out now.

Going back to BRP Zer0. Mine lives in my roleplay bag with wfrp2 and DeluxeMRQ but the corners of the covers are starting to suffer after a month. For a book this big, hardback is a necessity.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

• 5 months later...

I bought the GDW 3rd ed Stormbringer and it fell apart like everyone elses. I was thinking about that book earlier this year after I bought a little known percentile based rpg called Legend of Yore which fell apart just about as fast (bad glue). THAT one I had coil bound at Kinko's and it now resides on my bookshelf. It really makes me wish I had kept the 3rd ed Stormbringer anyway.

How much would a 400 page hardback cost anyway?

I don't know, $50?

HERO System 5th Edition Revised, 592 pages, B&W, hardback costs $49.99 while GURPS Basic Set: Characters, 336 pages, full-color, glossy paper, hardcover costs $39.95.

Speaking of which, looking at BRP, is it possible that some of the pictures were originally colored (greyscale in the book)? Any chance for a full-color, glossy paper, hardcover?

Ok, I am probably dreaming...

I don't know, $50?

HERO System 5th Edition Revised, 592 pages, B&W, hardback costs $49.99 while GURPS Basic Set: Characters, 336 pages, full-color, glossy paper, hardcover costs $39.95.

I have to imagine that GURPS probably had a larger initial print run, reducing the price somewhat. I'm not sure that BRP could reach that level, and thus price.

Speaking of which, looking at BRP, is it possible that some of the pictures were originally colored (greyscale in the book)? Any chance for a full-color, glossy paper, hardcover?

Ok, I am probably dreaming...

I, for one, am happy the paper isn't glossy. That was the most annoying change in terms of readability, especially if your reading locations are varied... the colored background only exacerbated this.

SDLeary

I have to imagine that GURPS probably had a larger initial print run, reducing the price somewhat. I'm not sure that BRP could reach that level, and thus price.

Sure but my guess was about 50$ for a Chaosium BRP B&W hardback compared to a 40$ GURPS full color hardback. I might still be off though since I have no knowledge whatsoever in the matter.

I, for one, am happy the paper isn't glossy. That was the most annoying change in terms of readability, especially if your reading locations are varied... the colored background only exacerbated this.

SDLeary

The example boxes and side notes have a slight parchment look. I would bet that was what SDLeary was referring to.

Nah... it was more to the general thought (hope? dream?) of a full color glossy HB. Looks purdy, save when your in the wrong lighting and trying to read it.

And to put the art into context... I don't think any of it was ever in color... at least in publication. The only one that comes to mind that might have been colored pencil originally was the superhero group on pg141 of BRP1. That was the house superhero group. IIRC, the guy in the top-hat was Sandy Petersen's character.

SDLeary

And to put the art into context... I don't think any of it was ever in color... at least in publication. The only one that comes to mind that might have been colored pencil originally was the superhero group on pg141 of BRP1. That was the house superhero group. IIRC, the guy in the top-hat was Sandy Petersen's character.

That pic was in Superworld and was printed in color, but I think the original was black-and-white.

As far as I can tell, aside from some of the cover images reproduced in the intro chapter, none of the book's illustrations have ever appeared in color. The page layout elements in grayscale were likely in color originally but were turned into black-and-white for the layout.

If anyone's at Gen Con, they should definitely corral Charlie and demand a HC BRP.