The Design Mechanism and the Future of RuneQuest

lawrence.whitaker

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

*whatever* you [do] don't call it "runequest" or "runequest III". ...

Fear not! Clearly, as the 7th version of RuneQuest, it's going to be called "RuneQuest 6". So no confusion there! ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I never had any problem with Chartered Accountants in Runequest ... :?

Combat actions. What actually bothers me is not the concept (it actually makes for very cool fights when heroes fight lowly peasants with less CA's, or terrifying monsters with many CA), but that it's purely stat-based, so if i have high INT and DEX, i get 3 combat actions even if its the first time in my life i pick up a weapon, and the grizzled veteran fighter has 2CA's because he has low stats.

It IS a rant an quite a minor issue, since im sure pretty much any grizzled veteran can easily manage an INT/DEX average of 13, but still...

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Combat actions.

Ah, I see. This is probably a MRQ thing, as I never ran into this problem with the

various BRP systems I used, and MRQ is the only one I used only to mine it for

ideas. :o

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Its definitely RuneQuest 6th Edition, which, as the sixth published edition of the game, its quite entitled to be. RQ6 seems to be favoured shorthand, although RQVI will no doubt appear as may 'DMRQ' - which I hope won't happen, because, well, I don't like it.

Combat Actions will be staying. That said, how one comes by them is fully open to review by me and Pete, and there's lots of little things like this that we're reviewing right now.

Loz

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Its definitely RuneQuest 6th Edition, which, as the sixth published edition of the game, its quite entitled to be.

Of course. Best of luck with it! Good News. :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Will RuneQuest sixth edition support non-fantasy genres in any way? It's no longer a deal breaker, of course, as the BRP BGB suits me just fine for those things. I just considered Mongoose's decision to not go forth with "SpaceQuest" and "ModernQuest" (after they acquired the Traveller license) a bit of a missed opportunity.

I like Combat Actions. I have ported them to all my games.

On my MRQ table you need 60% for 3 CA, 90% for 4 CA and +30% for every extra CA, in addition to the INT/DEX requirements. Animals/Monsters get their full CA whatever their skill rating is.

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Probably not dual-statted in the book itself, but a very, very good chance of having RQ stats available as a separate download for HQ Glorantha books.

And vice versa?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Combat Actions will be staying. That said, how one comes by them is fully open to review by me and Pete

Like not tying them to characteristics, or giving alternate ways to calculate them? Instinctively, I would say "DROP THEM", but given the endless threads that appeared here about "how to give the proper advantage to shield wielders", and the answer not yet found (while this is not a problem in MRQ because of the extra CA), maybe they should stay.

Though I am still in favour of having "3 CAs per round, 4 for dual wielders".

But there is plenty of time to discuss this :)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

This is great news. Some of the best BRP/RQ products have been written by you guys, and I was so impressed by such that I returned to the BRP system after a sojourn into other systems. I wasn't a big fan of MRQ initially, but the rule and supplments for MRQ2 won me over.

I think Mongoose 'Legend' has much more competition going for it now, considering how you guys have your own 'cult status' as game writers. I'm really glad you've become a licencee for Issaries Inc, and Glorantha may live on with the RQ system (although I'm sure your other settings will be just as good)

Best wishes for the venture, this is great news for the BRP/RQ community!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

...a very, very good chance of having RQ stats available as a separate download for HQ Glorantha books.

Oooo - Glorantha rehabilitated! :)

But there is plenty of time to discuss this :)

And still get it published by "early 2012"? I don't think so!

Better get another thread started. Someone...?

On my MRQ table you need 60% for 3 CA, 90% for 4 CA and +30% for every extra CA, in addition to the INT/DEX requirements. Animals/Monsters get their full CA whatever their skill rating is.

HA! I do the same thing, except it's 50/75/100 then +25%.

121/420

HA! I do the same thing, except it's 50/75/100 then +25%.

Haha, great minds...

Though i would never, EVER give a x5% penalty/bonus, all my modifiers for everything are +/-x0%, so you do substract/add only one time. If a gm gives me a 15% or 25% penalty/bonus, i would just punch him im the face, cut his head off and drink from his skull. (And hear the lamentations of his mother, since GM's rarely have women :P)

As a fan of MRQ2's system, but not a fan of Glorantha, I was looking forward to purchasing Legend. It wasn't until I read this line from the RQ6 FAQ that I started having second thoughts:

"... but for RuneQuest 6th Edition we’ve carefully divorced the rules from the setting. RQ6 is intended to be a basis for roleplaying in any kind of fantasy setting – with an emphasis on heroic sword and sorcery – and is not tied to Glorantha."

If I can get a revised MRQ2 - done by the original designers - free of Glorantha material... well, The Design Mechanism will be getting $50 from me when RQ6 is released.

Combat actions. What actually bothers me is not the concept (it actually makes for very cool fights when heroes fight lowly peasants with less CA's, or terrifying monsters with many CA), but that it's purely stat-based, so if i have high INT and DEX, i get 3 combat actions even if its the first time in my life i pick up a weapon, and the grizzled veteran fighter has 2CA's because he has low stats.

Wouldn't "the first time in my life i picked up a weapon" be modeled by an abominably low Combat Style skill %? Frankly, I don't see the cause for concern. Who cares if someone has the natural instincts and reflexes to strike more frequently in a round? If they don't have the combat skill to hit the grizzled veteran, or parry his blow, they'll probably be disemboweled before they get a chance to use that 3rd CA.

I'll resist the temptation to join in the "I know how to make the rules better!" clamour, but I will say that I think the rules for HeroQuesting are very poorly detailed. How do I determine how successful a quest has been, what do you gain or lose by completing or cocking up a station, and how do I work out what level of reward should be gained based on the level of success?

I ran a HeroQuest today and dished out Hero Points as the reward for successfully playing the various roles in the myth, now they have a stack of points to spend so I need to figure the Hero Points costs of the rewards that they want, e.g. magic items, characteristic increases, skills, rune-touched, etc.

Writeup: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47970

Edited by PhilHibbs

Please please try to get your hard copies onto Amazon.com, or have PayPal services available for online transactions, it'll help your sales, esp for customers outside of the UK or USA ;)

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"