The Design Mechanism and the Future of RuneQuest

lawrence.whitaker

I would expect that a professional baseball player would kick my arse at cricket. And a long jumper would easily beat a shot putter at a 100m sprint. I like the idea of "complementary skill" bonuses, but it could get complicated if a player has two developed skills and wants to use one to get a bonus in the other all the time.

Yes, but thats where the GM comes in. Does the complementary skill make sense for the situation? If not, it can't be used.

SDLeary

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, or maybe a small number of skills : 1-Handed Weapons (covering shield use, like in Pendragon), 2-Handed Weapons, 2 Weapons.

The professional sports were an analogy for combat, which I thought at first you were accepting, but now you're rejecting. The suggestion is that experience in hand to hand combat should be in some way useful even with unfamiliar weapons. I'm convinced that if I was up against an experienced sword-and-shield fighter and we were both armed with two-handed maces, he'd pound me to burger in seconds flat, even if I was substantially more buff than I currently am.

The professional sports were an analogy for combat, which I thought at first you were accepting, but now you're rejecting. The suggestion is that experience in hand to hand combat should be in some way useful even with unfamiliar weapons. I'm convinced that if I was up against an experienced sword-and-shield fighter and we were both armed with two-handed maces, he'd pound me to burger in seconds flat, even if I was substantially more buff than I currently am.

He would probably benefit somewhat; I don't think as substantially as you think though because the use of the two-handed mace would still be somewhat foreign. His benefit is going to be mainly from knowledge of positioning (which might not work well given the differences in weapon and lack of shield) and movement. Thinking about this I would probably give your adversary the base chance with the weapon, plus their "combat/physical" bonus if using skill category modifiers, and allow the use of their "sword-and-shield" skill at either 1/5 or 1/10 as a complementary skill.

As I would generally only allow one complementary skill, this would preclude the use of others.

SDLeary

You're completely right : there's no point in having more than one "Close Combat" skill.

Thank you :)

Why not just use the Mongoose RQ2 related skill mechanism? You get 1/10th of your best combat style as a bonus when using an unfamiliar weapon to reflect your greater experience in battle. You can house rule the bonus to taste; if you think 1/10th not enough make it 1/5th (RQ3 special) or if you think that's too much go for 1/20th (Ye olde RQ3 crit). You get a decent approximation of the benefits of experience without vanishing up your own ****hole with unnecessary calculations and modifiers.