Step Three: Age page 19 (typos?)

p. 19, Step 3 Age reads “For every full 10 years you add to the default rolled starting age of your character, you can allot another 20, 30, or 40 professional skill points (based on the level of campaign, as described in Step Six)."

There are four campaign levels: Normal, Heroic, Epic and Superhuman, but only three numeric increases to skill points per 10-year increment given (20, 30, 40 respectively). Are these skill point increases for Normal, Heroic and Epic, or are they for Heroic, Epic and Superhuman? Regardless, what about the missing fourth Campaign Level?

Also this page states that Campaign Level is discussed in Step Six when it is not. Step Six delineates Personality skill point bonuses.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

p. 19, Step 3 Age reads “For every full 10 years you add to the default rolled starting age of your character, you can allot another 20, 30, or 40 professional skill points (based on the level of campaign, as described in Step Six)."

There are four campaign levels: Normal, Heroic, Epic and Superhuman, but only three numeric increases to skill points per 10-year increment given (20, 30, 40 respectively). Are these skill point increases for Normal, Heroic and Epic, or are they for Heroic, Epic and Superhuman? Regardless, what about the missing fourth Campaign Level?

I've never given the skill increases for age to encourage people to pick what fitted their character, rather than run decrepit old farts to get the highest possible skill levels. However there are several ways you can interpret this (none are good):

• Assume there is a missing first number and it's zero. You'd get 0, 20, 30, 40 with normal missing out on the increases. Seems a bit unfair however.
  • Assume there is a missing first number and it's ten. Still pretty miserly.
  • Assume that there is a missing last number and it's fifty. This is the only one that seems fair to me.

In any case I think this needs to be cleared up and some official errata would be nice. There didn't seem to be any on the Chaosium website, but I might just be too used to Google and my search skills have withered. In any case I'd go with the third option or just revisit the number of skill points characters get, it's your game.

The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

My Blog: http://grevsspace.wordpress.com/

I was thinking the same thing (regarding your suggested third option).

And I agree about the need for errata. I've begun to re-read the book and note the areas that are unclear (like the one above). I may document them on this forum for future reference.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I went back to the Chaosium website after posting my comment about errata and found some. There's a one page document called BRP Corrections that was added to the downloads section last Saturday.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/fdm_folder_files.php?fPath=3_9

It doesn't mention Skill Point by Age, but it's a start and nice that some at Chaosium is looking at it. Only niggle is that you have to log in to download it even though it's a free download.

The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

My Blog: http://grevsspace.wordpress.com/

Thanks! I just downloaded it.

~Albert Einstein~