MOVE and Speed in BRP

Atgxtg

drohem is correct in that the Chase system values are not intended to be plugged into the character scale - they are their own subsystem and have their own purposes.

However, I am looking at this thread and the soon-to-be-created thread for last-minute changes, and if you see anything that raises a red flag, let me know here or there.

Maybe add "Human" to the chase table.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Well, if we are talking individual preference here - could we do all measurements in METRIC! :thumb:

That seems to be the general rule with BRP anyway.

I prefer to use yards or paces in histocial campaigns. Something about people walking three clicks to the nearest inn to down a couple of literes just doesn't set the right flavor.

In play I use maters/yards/paces interchagably. Afterall, it not like we worring to see if some if exactly 20m away and not 19.26 or 21.345 meters.

I also tend to use 1kg=2 lbs for most game uses. Works for 90% of game situations.

If it helps, my vehicle rules, are set up to calculate speed in meters/sec, kph, mph, or even knots.

If we use the BRP speeds for vehicles as either top speed in kph, or based on Jason's comment that vehicle speeds are top speed, then we could assume that MOVE rates are crusiing speed and only 2/3rd or 3/4th top speed.

THat would give a Move 200 sportcar a top speed of 267kph or 300kph. Both good values for real word sports cars. THe 2/3 value of 300kph is just about right for the high end sportcars. And mutiply MOV by 1.5 for top speed is easy.

The 3/4 rating probably works best for tanks (gives a modern tank a generous 111kph/69mph) top speed.

Even using the speeds as top speeds would work. Since the sample vehicles are generic types, rather than specific makes & models, it would work. There are quite a few sports cars with a 200kph to speed. Either older cars, or some of the more affordable modern sports cars

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

...a few spots where imperial measurements are provided.

Three cheers for Creeping Imperialism! :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Well...

I rather view it as an artifact of the system. DEX is a combination of agility and manual dexterity. SIZ is a combination of height and weight.

If you're a big guy or gal, you're going to control the movement options in your immediate area. If you're dealing with an extended movement contest, you're going to have to deal with CON checks. I view 'fatman' as a character with a high SIZ and a low CON. I also think Aragorn (who is tall and healthy) can cover more ground than Frodo (who is short and healthy). Hence, the houserule.

After POW, SIZ is the strongest stat in BRP. It affects both damage bonus and hit points. Anyone who wants to 'game' the system is goning to put points in SIZ, and not for a high MOV stat.

I think STR is the most important ATT for fast sprints and CON for longer joggings. Eg. its fascinating that very strong trained guys in real life are also excellent sprinters, even without a sprint training.

I dont think that DEX has much to do with running, at least not how I interprete this stat. SIZ could improve MOV but only if it is just limb lenght (like many of these marathon joggers from Africa have long limbs) and not body fat. But the interpretation may vary from GM to GM. (or even character to character)

Regarding SIZ which affects HP and damage. I think the official interpretation is clear going into direction body mass and not limb lengh/height. OTOH the RQ strike ranks is going in direction limb lenght and height. A contradiction.

was reading something on running the other day an apparently it all actually breaks down to length of stride. THe higher "upP' you get when running (the higher your center of gravity) the faster you run.

Apparently it works out that everyone running at top speed in moving their feet at about the same rate (same number of "strides" per minute), just that faster runners are taking longer strides, and so end up traveling faster.

See Student Solves Mystery Of What Limits Running Speed

for a better explanation.

The trick is length of stride isn;'t entired based on height (SIZ) or muscle (STR) but also on the flexiblity of the body centeri of gravity and so forth.

A mechanical formula linking speed to stats would need to be very complex if it were to be remotely accurate. We'd probably need to factor in SIZ but work out SIZ as height over SIZ as mass, probably by factoring STR and CON. Flexibility of the joints count be factored in as DEX and CON, but it really probably goes beyond a simple stat rating.

The trick is length of stride isn;'t entired based on height (SIZ) or muscle (STR) but also on the flexiblity of the body centeri of gravity and so forth.

Interesting article. Now the question is what ATT is "flexibility of the body and center of gravity". DEX?

Interesting article. Now the question is what ATT is "flexibility of the body and center of gravity". DEX?

Several, and none.

STR gets you the muscle to get you up.

DEX and CON could represent the flexiblity.

SIZ would reflect length of legs, but also mass-so it would work both ways.

I actually played around with the formula I worked out to get vehicle speeds and got some decent results. Threw in people and a few critters, and it worked out with a good speed most of the time. The cheetah threw it off.

Personally, if we are going to get detailed with it, I suggest something like a running skill, and or maybe just let someone pick a attribute and use that for running Speed.

For instance, running in now 30m and sprinting is 50m. We could say running speed is 20m+ choice of STR, SIZ or DEX, and Sprinting is +20m higher.

I actually played around with the formula I worked out to get vehicle speeds and got some decent results. Threw in people and a few critters, and it worked out with a good speed most of the time. The cheetah threw it off.

Cheetah's effectively have a biological supercharger for the muscle operation for short duration sprints. They're outlayers and you almost certainly should ignore them for a general system.

Personally, if we are going to get detailed with it, I suggest something like a running skill, and or maybe just let someone pick a attribute and use that for running Speed.

For instance, running in now 30m and sprinting is 50m. We could say running speed is 20m+ choice of STR, SIZ or DEX, and Sprinting is +20m higher.

You could do a formula of some kind if you wanted; its not like that's unprecedented in BRP history.

Cheetah's effectively have a biological supercharger for the muscle operation for short duration sprints. They're outlayers and you almost certainly should ignore them for a general system.

Yeah. THey have an extra large lung capacity for starters. Ironically, if I were to apply some modifers for "large powerplant" they probably wouldn't have worked out okay.

Same with birds. Most birds have a low STR score becuase birds are light and not good at liting or breaking things. In truth, birds are musclebound, but about 2/rds of thier muscle power is dedicated to flying.

I bet if I upped the STR score of cheetahs and hawks by applying modifiers to reflect dedicated powerplants and good ground traction, I'd probably end up with better numbers. I actually surprised that the formula held up for most of the creatures.

You could do a formula of some kind if you wanted; its not like that's unprecedented in BRP history.

I was using 1.037^(STR-SIZ)*39.6 mph.

THat is the one I'm using for the vehicle design rules. It works pretty good for vehicles, too.

As for a detailed fomula thgat tries to factor in every stats, yeah it can be done. Something like MOV=(2xSTR+SIZ+CON+DEX+40)^0.5

But is is worth the hassle for an extra point of MOV? If a horse is at 12, there is only so high a human can go? For Superheroes,maybe. I suppose a hero with STR 300 who can toss around battleships might have MOV 26.