The Inequity of EDU

LivingTriskele

As mentioned, these are minimum scores. An aquafarmer could of course have an EDU of 20+,

but a doctor could not have an EDU below 21 - otherwise he would not have passed the test

and would not have made it to the colony.

Ah, okay. That's differernt. I could still see the ocasional guy with a subpar EDU (the worlds worst Docttor), but a min EDU seems okay. Although there would seem to be an advantatage to picking a careeer that requires a Ph.D.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Although there would seem to be an advantatage to picking a careeer that requires a Ph.D.

In a way, yes. However, in this setting someone with a doctorate is expected to have

a very high skill level in one primary field (e.g. marine biology) and high skill levels in at

least two secondary fields (e.g. ecology and genetics), so the advantage is balanced

by the fact that the character can spend less skill points on the "adventuring" skills.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

In a way, yes. However, in this setting someone with a doctorate is expected to have

a very high skill level in one primary field (e.g. marine biology) and high skill levels in at

least two secondary fields (e.g. ecology and genetics), so the advantage is balanced

by the fact that the character can spend less skill points on the "adventuring" skills.

But wouldn't the high EDU mean that they have more points to spare? Someone with a 21 EDU is going to have over twice the skill points of a high school drop out with EDU 10.

Age could be a balacing factor, if it were applied somehow.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

But wouldn't the high EDU mean that they have more points to spare?

Again, yes and no. For example, the aquafarmer with the setting's minimum EDU of 12 has a

total of 240 skill points for his professional skills. He is expected to put at least 60 of them

into his Craft (Aquafarming) skill, which leaves him up to 180 skill points for the more "adven-

turing" professional skills like Pilot (Watercraft) or Sonic Spear. The scientist with his minimum

EDU of 21 has a total of 420 professional skill points, a lot more than the aquafarmer, but he

is expected to put 75 of them into his primary science, at least 60 each into his two secon-

dary sciences and another at least 60 into his Research skill, which leaves him with only 165

skill points for any "adventuring" professional skills - usually 15 less than the aquafarmer has.

The scientist's most important advantage from his high EDU is his excellent Knowledge roll, he

has a very good chance to know at least a little about virtually every plausible field of know-

ledge, but the price he pays for this is that his core skills, research and sciences, as well as

his other professional skills usually are less often important during an adventure than the pro-

fessional skills of other characters with a lower EDU score.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

if you roll your attributes then EDU averages at 13 so things work out fine.

If you are buying your stats I would scale things by the cost to raise all attributes by 1. THis is 13 without EDU and 16 with EDU so 24 * 16 / 13 = 30 . If you you are applying the Higher starting characterists for higher teirs add +15 points per teir instead of +12. Though really I don't see the fairness of this rule seing that rollled characters don't get any attribute bonuses for playing at a higher teir.

if you roll your attributes then EDU averages at 13 so things work out fine.

If you are buying your stats I would scale things by the cost to raise all attributes by 1. THis is 13 without EDU and 16 with EDU so 24 * 16 / 13 = 30 . If you you are applying the Higher starting characterists for higher teirs add +15 points per teir instead of +12. Though really I don't see the fairness of this rule seing that rollled characters don't get any attribute bonuses for playing at a higher teir.

That is why it is called an "Optional Rule".

However, the normal/heroic break applies, as there is an option for "Higher Starting Characteristics" where all stats are rolled as 2d6+6 instead of 3d6 for STR, DEX, CON, POW and APP, and with the point buy option, that is reflected in the 24 points for normal, 36 points for heroic option. Adding in EDU (which is normally rolled as 2d6+6 for an average of 13, not 10), you still need to add the appropriate increase in points to point buy (30 and 45).

Ian

seing that rollled characters don't get any attribute bonuses for playing at a higher teir.

Whoops. No they don't do they?

So playing that Epics roll 1d6+12 and Superhumans get 18 has not exactly been RAW. Taking a look again at the rules it appears that allowing players to choose Siz freely doesn't come from the rulebook either.

Edu roll seems to be 3d6+3 not 3d6 so for point buy why not start at Edu at 13 rather than 10? And leave allocated points as is?

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Whoops. No they don't do they?

So playing that Epics roll 1d6+12 and Superhumans get 18 has not exactly been RAW. Taking a look again at the rules it appears that allowing players to choose Siz freely doesn't come from the rulebook either.

Edu roll seems to be 3d6+3 not 3d6 so for point buy why not start at Edu at 13 rather than 10? And leave allocated points as is?

I considered starting EDU at 13 but ended up deciding to give the players an extra 9 points to spend on Characteristics instead (to give them a little more freedom with creating their characters). Starting at 13 makes sense to me though.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~