How do you define BRP?

Chaot

Nope, I'm going to weigh in on this one also...

I own both Pendragon and the game that kept Pendragon from EVER getting any play around our group - Chivalry & Sorcery.

FGU (Fantasy Games Unlimited) was the Mohammad Ali of game companies. They put out soe seriously kickass games.

Wild West, Bushido, Aftermath, Flashing Blades, Privateers & Gentlemen, Space Opera, and Villains & Vigilantes (proof that not even Babe Ruth can hit them out of the park every time).

Atlas Games owns C&S now, and it's as good as it ever was. The skill system is wicked hard to get a grasp on, but it works. My favorite part about the system is it treats missile attacks correctly - the damage is based on the projectile (arrow, bolt, dart, bullet, etc.) and the RANGE is based on the delivery system (shortbow, longbow, composite bow, pistol, rifle, etc.) If you're at less than maximum range, you do get a bonus to damage, so higher-powered delivery systems will do slightly more damage at close range than lower powered delivery systems with the same projectile.

I always hold up RQ's combat system as one of the best I've ever played, but C&S got it right with missile weapons.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

FGU (Fantasy Games Unlimited) was the Mohammad Ali of game companies. They put out soe seriously kickass games.

Wild West, Bushido, Aftermath, Flashing Blades, Privateers & Gentlemen, Space Opera, and Villains & Vigilantes (proof that not even Babe Ruth can hit them out of the park every time).

You forgot what I consider their best game ever Daredevils.

Swordbearer. That was FGU, wasn't it?

Yup. I still have that. It was also somewhat BRP derrived, although it had a horrible flaw with the parry rules (get your weapon speed up high enough and you don't need to make the parry roll).

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Sorloc,

I have and ran C&S (the original red book edition, no less with the 4 point text). While not a bad game, it was level based, and had increasing HP. Character creation was a nightmare. THe game used a d20 scale for stats (there were around a dozen or so), and players rolled a D20 for those stats. As bonuses and penalties for stats were large, it usually meant that any character tended to have at least one stat that was so low as to be crippling. I.e> mute, bedridden, pyschotic, etc. I think less than 10% of PCs managed to get through character generetion with something that was playable. My all time favorite was the character that someone rolled up with 20+ Str & DEX, great social status, horoscope the works. Everyone was getting excited about the guy, and he was looking like they were gonna adventure with their very own William Marshall, until we got to PYSCHE and it turned out that he was homicidal (the high social status meant more inbreeding), and went on rampages. I think he triggers were darkness and blood.

Pendragon also gave a lot more info on actually role-playing in a fedual setting, although C&S certainly did more towards that end then any other RPG that had come out prior to it.

Come to think of It, I think I have (or had) pretty much every one of the FGU games you mentioned. Flashing ABlades was probably my favorite of the lot. It even went out well with the local D&D players.

THere were quite a few little companies that used rto produce good stuff back then. Most still exist in some sort of undead state. Judges Guild being another one, and one that would be of interest to RQ/BRP fans.

THere were quite a few little companies that used rto produce good stuff back then. Most still exist in some sort of undead state. Judges Guild being another one, and one that would be of interest to RQ/BRP fans.

Judges Guild seems to be focusing on D20 right now, maybe they can persuaded to do other systems also.

Judges Guild seems to be focusing on D20 right now, maybe they can persuaded to do other systems also.

They always were primaily a D&D company. But they were also one of the few (okay, okay really the only) 3rd party publishers for RQ2. Paul Jaquays has always been one of the more talented people in the RPG field. Strange that Kevein Siembada Palladium has done so much better than JG.