Sign in to follow this  
Vile

AEONS - A D100 Game

Seeing as I'm no longer operating under a working title bushel and we have these shiny new forum sub-divisions, I thought I might as well start a new thread about AEON here. For those of you who don't know, AEON is a mechanical reproduction of the ancestor of the games we all love so much in these parts. The reason I'm not referring to it by name is because, like the many retro-clones written for "the world's most popular roleplaying game", AEON is OGL-based and uses the SRD for MRQ1 as a (remote) basis. When I say "mechanical reproduction", that's exactly what AEON does - it reproduces the game play of the old D100 games, not the details of the setting. A great deal of effort has gone into cleaning up the rules to iron out any irregularities or inconsistencies, but - honestly, there are not that many.

The first document will be the D100II SRD. This is an editable document, based on the text of the three MRQ1 SRDs. This will be a complete document, containing all the rules necessary for play of, for example, the classic reprints made available again in PDF format on DTRPG. This will also serve as a playtest document for the pretty versions to follow, and it will be available from the BRP Central Downloads area when it's done.

The D100II SRD is almost ready. I expected to be further along, but you know how it is - 90% done, 80% to go.

Then it's on to the fun of layout and artwork (following up some leads there already) for the actual books, and ... the website, for someone who has no idea what websites even involve ... shark.gif

Edited by Vile

... Aaaand it's done! Please head over to the downloads area and have a gander (had to get the duck joke out of the way). As well as an SRD this is intended to be a playtest draft for AEON, so please let me have your feedback no matter what it is. Gushing praise also accepted!

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=433 Yahoo.gif

It looks very good, and very similar in style and feel to the original

not-to-be-named game. Since I did not find anything to complain

about, my feedback can only be a "Well Done Indeed". :tu:

Thanks, gents! Hefty? It's only 123 pages! That's only 1 page more than RQ2 if you count the errata. And I used a larger font and big tables. :P

This document is actually very much stripped down to the basics. There is very little fluff, as befits an SRD. The fluff, the examples and the art will come in AEON. Because I've been writing a lot of this in tridem (what's a word for doing three things at once?) - the SRD, Quickstart and all-bells-and-whistles versions. The Quickstart Edition is still on target for Christmas, by the way (because that won't have internal art to save on page count). Christmas 2011. :)

However, as I've mentioned before, a lot of what is in the OGL D100II SRD will be seen in a very different form in AEON, because AEON will not be OGL. The AEON mechanics will produce identical (or near-identical) gameplay, but they will be a new set of rules not using any SRDs. However, if anyone wants to write fan works or 3rd party for-profit supplements, they will be catered for at no cost and very little fuss. For those of you that don't visit Gringle's Pawnshop forums (why not!?), here is the plan:

D100II SRD

This is an OGL SRD, using the MRQ1 Core, Companion and Monsters SRDs revised to be compatible with AEON. The descriptions of spells and monsters will not be expanded beyond what's already in the SRDs to avoid copyright entanglements.

AEON Quickstart

This contains all of the basic rules (no options) and a few creatures and basic magic to get people started. It will be a free-to-download PDF. This will not be OGL. There will be a free licence, though (see below).

AEON Licence

Although the rules will not be OGL (but see the D100II SRD above), you can still write supplements and publish them, free or for coin, and you can stick an AEON logo on the front. There will be no fee for this, but you will need to ask me nicely. There will be an FAQ and a signed agreement so that everyone knows where they stand. I'll post more on this once the details are worked out - hopefully it will be ready by the time the rules come out.

AEON Creature Compendium

A book of monsters, including rules for creating non-human characters. The book will cover common fantasy creatures as well as animals, but no Gloranthan monsters. Also not OGL, but again covered under the AEON licence.

AEON Game Guide

The basic rule book without monsters or magic. As you know, there were some ups and downs in the production of AEON, especially with regard to the Gloranthan creatures in the MRQ1 Monsters SRD. Also not OGL, but covered under the AEON licence.

AEON Magic Manual

It's become clear that Gloranthan magic is one of the things that ties RuneQuest to Glorantha in many people's mind, so I've spilt magic from the core rules. Various magic systems (I'm currently considering common magic, spirit magic, divine magic and sorcery). Cults will be dealt with in this book. Again, not OGL but it will be covered under the AEON licence.

Beyond

I have plans for further expansion of AEON in the future, taking the system into different settings and eras. Different aeons, even. Exciting times, indeed.

It looks good.

If you added a Table of Contents, it would be even better. Have one with chapters at the start and one to Heading 4 at the end and it is really easy to use.

Well done!

Yes, Simon, I had planned to stick a ToC and an index in there (which is why all the headings are set up they way they are), but I got too excited and just uploaded it. :o

Version 1.1 will have it. By the way, if anyone wants to give me feedback, you can do it right here or just write it directly into the document (highlighted or in a different colour text so I can spot it) and email it to me at dreamscape5000 AT gmail DOT com. I'd better stick that in the document, too.

On that topic, is it possible for master Tifletraxtor to set up a playtest forum for this, pretty please? :b1:

While you are at it, it is a bit uncomfortable that some of the tables

(e.g. on pages 2 to 5) "carry over" to the next page. You could per-

haps insert a few lines of "fluff" text to keep them more in one piece.

That sort of thing might happen after the Quickstart. At the moment, the SRD is just intended to be what it is, with not much page layout, because if anyone wants to use any of the text they will fit it into their own layout. So, for the moment it's better not to introduce artificial breaks into the text. I've only put in chapter breaks for that reason.

I also have another ulterior motive ... if something is a bit hard to figure out, it helps me to know where I most need to clarify the text in the Quickstart edition. ;)

That's a very good point, noticed by a number of playtesters so far. I was going to wait a while before uploading version 1.1, but I might do it sooner to fix this and avoid confusion.

The answer is that total hit points are based on CON, modified by SIZ and POW.

Those of you who keep an eye on the blogs here on BRP Central (which are a very cool resource, by the way) may have noticed that I've been talking about the development of AEON on the Dreamscape Design blog. Much of the text has already been written - the D100II SRD has been culled and re-written from AEON, not the other way around. However, there's still lots of work to do. The previous experience system in particular will need to be thoroughly tested to make sure it does what it says on the tin.

AEON will not be OGL, and it will not be based on the MRQ1 SRD. While D100II is intended to exactly replicate gameplay for people who have the original or re-released classic supplements, AEON will move away from that slightly. So I guess it's not accurate to label it a retro-clone or simulacrum any more. I guess an apt parallel would be MRQ2 vs. RQ6. My aim with AEON is to stay very close to the crunchy, gritty feel of the old-school rules, but also to clean up the system, streamline multiple rules variants that do more or less the same thing, remove inconsistencies, plug gaps and loopholes, etc., etc., etc.

There will also be changes because AEON is not tied to the same game world. A bare-bones fantasy/ancient setting is taking shape, which will give some context to the rules. I know I've previously said that I would probably divorce rules, creatures and magic, but I don't think that will happen now. The Quickstart edition will serve as a common ruleset for other settings, while AEON magic and creatures will be very much shaped by the world they're in. No doubt more changes of direction - er, evolution, will come before the final product is done.

My intention is still to have a licence similar to the 'Gateway' licences used by Moon Design and Design Mechanism - free to use, with a straightforward agreement between owner and 3rd party publisher.

The cover artwork is finished, huzzah! Okay, that still leaves the logo design, interior art, a lot of writing and quite a bit of layout - but somehow this makes it seem like we're getting somewhere:

crop2.jpg

The D100II SRD v1.2 is up, with a bit of errata fixed and acknowledgement of all the fine folk here and elsewhere who helped out. As I said before, this will probably be the last update for a while. You can grab it from the downloads section here on BRP Central, or directly from the Dreamscape Design blog.

In the meantime, work continues on AEON Quickstart. Won't be long now! WritingSmiley-anim.gif

The D100SRDII is a re-working of the Mongoose RuneQuest (MRQ1) SRD to recreate the gameplay of the original second edition of everyone's favourite percentage system. D100II is OGL, AEON is not.

How is AEON coming along? Sit-rep please! ;)

(If you have a large cover image and AEON logo Vile, I could make an AEON header for the forum.)

Cheers,

Triff.

Hopefully it will get going again soon. There has been a bit of a hiccup in the form of a new RL job. Now that the novelty of ordering my underlings around has worn off, and if I can get my Photoshop to behave, I hope to get the cover page done relatively soon - certainly within this year! :P