LEGEND

Trifletraxor

Don't they all wear different colored shirts too? I never understood why C.S. Lewis invented those guys. I guess some like their singing and dancing.

Ahem! This ...

http://labsquad.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/marshwiggle.jpg

;t)

rather than this ...

http://dullumfile.areavoices.com/files/2011/07/4group.jpg

:?

Is it just me, or does the quartet look as if they'd escaped from an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series? In any case, Narnia is in dire straights if they make it past The Wood Between the Worlds! =O

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or does the quartet look as if they'd escaped from an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series?

Yep, it is the famous Starfleet Choir, which had to be disbanded when lethal

sonic weapons were banned - a real shame, their version of "Where no Kirk

had gone before" helped to evacuate dozens of planets.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Over here the impression is that we are dancing to British and French tunes.

Standard Grass-Is-Greener effect. But if you're not happy with the situation either, why don't you just let us keep our own independent country?

Frogspawner, in order to be granted the exquisite pleasure of obeying Frau Merkel, you Brits should first abandon that old-fashioned currency and join the eurozone. [just kidding - actually, Frau Merkel and her subjects are guaranteeing for everyone's bonds here ;) ]

I'd rather give the dubious pleasure of rule by EU/German-appointed provincial governors a miss, thanks. And we'll see whose currency exceeds it's "Use By" date soonest... ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

But if you're not happy with the situation either, why don't you just let us keep our own independent country?

But we do, Britain is free to leave the EU whenever it wants. You should ask your politicians what

keeps your country in the EU, it was not at all our decision which led your country there and keeps

it there.

(Charlie Chan)

But we do, Britain is free to leave the EU whenever it wants. You should ask your politicians what

keeps your country in the EU, it was not at all our decision which led your country there and keeps

it there.

Hopefully we will leave the EU (which we Brits never voted to enter). The current Euro-collapse may bring the whole issue to a head, and maybe our misguided political elite (who conspire with your lot to keep us in) will be forced to let us...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

... our misguided political elite (who conspire with your lot to keep us in) ...

This is a myth, since Britain does not participate in most EU core policies anyway,

it can just as well leave. You would be hard pressed to find many people here who

would prefer to keep a club member who opted out of most important club rules.

But I guess this is not exactly the right thread to discuss this.

(Charlie Chan)

I thought you guys were talking about in-fighting among the Gloranthan cults ....

I can't help thinking it'd adapt to a fantasy setting quite well. Rather like Sartar v Lunars... ;)

I can't help thinking it'd adapt to a fantasy setting quite well. Rather like Sartar v Lunars... ;)

Well, it would be a rather funny campaign, with one side convinced that it

is fighting for its independence while the other side just does not care -

somewhat like the American War of Independence without the Brits taking

part. :)

(Charlie Chan)

Well, it would be a rather funny campaign, with one side convinced that it is fighting for its independence while the other side just does not care - somewhat like the American War of Independence without the Brits taking part. :)

If your side didn't care, you wouldn't oppose us who want out...

Ooo - exitement! Today one of Santa's little elves (well ok, quite big actually) hinted she might've ordered my copy... :)

Well, basically the Legend core book is almost the same as the RuneQuest II corebook and is the same price. The differences are:

Monsters and Spirit Magic have been removed. You'll need to buy Monsters of Legend to get any creature stats. Spirit Magic might turn up as a free web download one day.

The errata from RQII has been incorporated.

All Gloranthan references have been removed.

Cults have been broadened into a range of organisations.

The charging and running rules were overhauled but still don't work.

There are no other changes. None of the known rules issues that turned up after the errata document have been incorporated. If you know RQII you know what you'll be getting with Legend.

You missed the fact that Legend is released under the OGL so it is now possible for third-party publishers to produce compatible material so we might see a few people producing products that can be used with the new game. Also, the books are now digest-sized.

(I'm really hoping that we see the Spirit Magic rules soon though!)

I really like this. Makes the books much easier to hold and store.

The digest format was popular in the early days of the hobby, but fell out of favour for a decade or so when faull-colour hardcovers were all the rage. Now that the roleplaying hobby is shrinking, it seems to becoming popular again. I suspect that one reason is simply space - most people (myself included) only have so much room for hardcover books and are getting choosy about what earns a spot on our shelves. The last hardcover roleplaying book that I purchased was the big yellow BRP book. Certainly, releasing pocket-sized editions hasn't hurt sales of the Mongoose Traveller product line at all. And I hope that releasing digest versions of Legend will help to lower consumer resistance to trying out a new system. It seems that as gamers age, they aren't as interested in picking up new rule systems any more - most of us probably own more games than we will ever play in our lives at the moment.

I quite like the digest format for basic editions, like what Mongoose did for CONAN. However, I would still like a big gorgeous hardcover core rules (perhaps a limited run?) sitting in my bookcase. I think that if digests become the norm then the cost should be much cheaper than what we pay for the big hardcovers

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

... Spirit Magic have been removed. ... Spirit Magic might turn up as a free web download one day.

Why would they remove Spirit Magic? Space? Too many Glorantha references? Is there some issue with the rules themselves?

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Well, basically the Legend core book is almost the same as the RuneQuest II corebook and is the same price. The differences are: Monsters and Spirit Magic have been removed. You'll need to buy Monsters of Legend to get any creature stats. Spirit Magic might turn up as a free web download one day.The errata from RQII has been incorporated. All Gloranthan references have been removed. There are no other changes. None of the known rules issues that turned up after the errata document have been incorporated. If you know RQII you know what you'll be getting with Legend.

Well it sounds like the LEGEND core rules won't be much use to me unless it's a bit cheaper. I'ld like to support it, but a paperback digest-sized book with less rules than MRQ2 for a similar price...doesn't sound all that appealing, and doesn't make much sense for me to spend any dollars on it unfortunately.

I'm more than likely to see how DM's RQ6 shapes up, it will be the true inheritor of the system, at least mechanics-wise I suspect. Seeing the cover art, however, it might beat LEGEND in production, at least for the core rules.

I would like to support Mongoose, I think their products for MRQ2 have been pretty good, and I like some of their current settings. I'll be showing my support by continuing to purchase the 'Age of Treason' and 'Dues Vult' setting lines (may even have a look at WraithRecon), but I think I'll give the LEGEND core rules a skip at this stage.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller

Why would they remove Spirit Magic? Space? Too many Glorantha references? Is there some issue with the rules themselves?

I believe it's down to space from Matt's explanation on the Mongoose forums. Any more pages and it goes up a category in price, or something like that. There is supposed to be a free PDF download for spirit magic at some point.

Has it been mentioned already that you can get the full Legend core rules book in pdf format for just US$1 from drivethrurpg.com?

A great way of getting the book if you're still on the fence.

My observations so far are they have some layout issues with the line spacing. Plus the layers haven't been properly edited (some pictures are not in the background or artwork layers). There are a few poorly written/structured sentences showing less then good editing. Lastly, this really gets on my tits, they don't have a comma after the word "However" when it starts a sentence (I suspect eligibility to work at Mongoose includes failing GCSE English and having ADHD).

132/420