• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of The Laundry one still has to buy the system BRP in

order to play the setting Classic Fantasy, Mythic Iceland or whatever, and

I think that this makes the combination of system plus setting comparative-

ly expensive and thereby works against BRP becoming the "winner" of the

current wave of d100 publications.

The full BRP Core Rules PDF is only $27.95 and the Classic Fantasy PDF is $20.95 at

DriveThruRPG.com for a total cost of $48.90. This is hardly an uncompetitive price especially

considering that the BRP Core Rules can be used with many settings.

Guest Vile Traveller

[...] one still has to buy the system BRP in order to play the setting Classic Fantasy [...]

I was under the impression that Classic Fantasy is stand-alone - perhaps threedeesix could elucidate?

The full BRP Core Rules PDF is only $27.95 and the Classic Fantasy PDF is $20.95 at

DriveThruRPG.com for a total cost of $48.90. This is hardly an uncompetitive price especially

And if you buy a Hard copy of the BGB from Amazon.com it is only $32.81 ( only $5 more than the pdf ).

I use  fantasygrounds.com

And if you buy a Hard copy of the BGB from Amazon.com it is only $32.81 ( only $5 more than the pdf ).

I wish more of Chaosium's catalog was available through Amazon. Or they had more than four distributor locations in the USA. I feel like ordering from their site is like playing Russian Roulette with my credit card.

121/420

Just use DriveThruRPG.com. I think they have Chaosium's complete catalog

The problem with that though is not everyone can read PDFs comfortably. For some people, such as myself, reading a long text on a backlit screen is very uncomfortable, and unfortunately PDFs don't work very well on ereaders yet.

The d10 Tavern - Role-playing and other games.

Free games: Odd Story | Smeg!

The problem with that though is not everyone can read PDFs comfortably. For some people, such as myself, reading a long text on a backlit screen is very uncomfortable, and unfortunately PDFs don't work very well on ereaders yet.

Good Point. So why don't you call in or fax your order to Chaosium at the following numbers:

phone 510-583-1000

fax 510-583-1101

Don't forget to tell Charlie that Silent Bob sent you :)

Good Point. So why don't you call in or fax your order to Chaosium at the following numbers:

phone 510-583-1000

fax 510-583-1101

As tedopon alluded to, when doing business I'd rather do business with Amazon.com. The free shipping is nice too.

phone 510-583-1000

fax 510-583-1101

Funny, somewhere in the last ten years I forgot how we did things in the "old days".

121/420

Funny, somewhere in the last ten years I forgot how we did things in the "old days".

Speaking of the old days, one thing I really wish they would bring back are print gaming magazines, like Pyramid. Not in electronic form, but in print form. But that's way off topic.

Speaking of the old days, one thing I really wish they would bring back are print gaming magazines, like Pyramid. Not in electronic form, but in print form. But that's way off topic.
Why? We should make ePuP and Kindle magazines. My Lenovo tablet looks fantastic for reading and Kindles are the BOMB. The world is moving away from paper my friend. I don't always read, but when I do, I read digital. Stay Techie my friends.

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Why? We should make ePuP and Kindle magazines. My Lenovo tablet looks fantastic for reading and Kindles are the BOMB. The world is moving away from paper my friend. I don't always read, but when I do, I read digital. Stay Techie my friends.

I agree I love epub and epub ereaders like the Kobo and Nook, but I still have a certain affinity for papery magazines :).

Guest Vile Traveller

I no longer have any novels in dead tree format (and let's remember that less dead trees are a good thing), because I now read only on my smart phone. I read faster and I read more often, so I read about twice as much as I used to. I'm now just waiting for tablets to get to the point where I can easily read A4 PDFs on them (my eyes aren't what they used to be). Once that happens, there will be more room in my flat where the bookshelves used to be.

I was as nostalgic as anyone about paper when this first started happening, but I believe we have to move with the times in this instance. If only epub could handle tables (and not as images, either) ... I wonder if we will see RPG systems moving to table-less rules?

The discussion was about the various d100 systems, and compared with

the other d100 systems recently published the $ 48.90 do not seem com-

petitive at all. To give an example, the BRP Core Rules PDF costs about

2,800 % of the Legend Core Rules PDF. ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

The discussion was about the various d100 systems, and compared with

the other d100 systems recently published the $ 48.90 do not seem com-

petitive at all. To give an example, the BRP Core Rules PDF costs about

2,800 % of the Legend Core Rules PDF. ;)

True. But Legend is only a fantasy game, while BRP can be played in any setting.

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone took Legend and, because it's all open content, re-engineered it into basically something quite a bit like BRP.

Isn't that basically OpenQuest? Granted, OpenQuest started with the original Mongoose SRD, but their modifications are classic RuneQuest. Grafting Legend magic systems and combat rules onto OpenQuest would probably be easier than hacking Legend from scratch.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Guest Vile Traveller

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone took Legend and, because it's all open content, re-engineered it into basically something quite a bit like BRP.

If you wanted to write something quite like BRP, you wouldn't need to re-engineer Legend. You could just write your own, original, BRP-ish rules. Using an OGL product is only necessary if you actually want to use elements of those rules as written, if you're going to re-write everything anyway then you may as well go the whole hog and be original. Like, um, AEON ... B-)

Isn't that basically OpenQuest? Granted, OpenQuest started with the original Mongoose SRD, but their modifications are classic RuneQuest. Grafting Legend magic systems and combat rules onto OpenQuest would probably be easier than hacking Legend from scratch.

But isn't OpenQuest also fantasy? I meant BRP as in, a generic system that would work with any setting.

If you wanted to write something quite like BRP, you wouldn't need to re-engineer Legend. You could just write your own, original, BRP-ish rules. Using an OGL product is only necessary if you actually want to use elements of those rules as written, if you're going to re-write everything anyway then you may as well go the whole hog and be original. Like, um, AEON ... B-)

Very true.

Guest Vile Traveller
But isn't OpenQuest also fantasy?
The core rules, yes, but there's a modern book (the Company) and a science fiction one (River of Heaven) in the works. Although I must admit I'm curious as to how OQ might have turned out if it had been based on Legend instead of MRQ1.