LEGEND

Trifletraxor

True. But Legend is only a fantasy game, while BRP can be played in any setting.

It would be very easy to turn Legend from a fantasy genre to a different genre. SciFi is probably the easiest to do, but others are possible.

In my opinion, the skills, combat resolution and character generation are so generic that they can be used in any setting.genre. All that needs doing is to add customised Legendary Abilities, customised Backgrounds/Professions, new skills and, if that's what people want, new weapons and technology. The core works anyway.

The advantage that BRP has it that this has already been done, to some extent, in the standard rulebook.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The core rules, yes, but there's a modern book (the Company) and a science fiction one (River of Heaven) in the works. Although I must admit I'm curious as to how OQ might have turned out if it had been based on Legend instead of MRQ1.

Only the core rulebook of OpenQuest has been released as Open Game Content - it looks like the other genres will be closed for third-party usage.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a second edition of OpenQuest at some point that cleans up a few sections of the rules that are ambiguous and incorporates some of the best ideas from Legend.

There will still be some differences between the two systems though - I tend to think of OpenQuest as a lighter version of MRQ / Legend and use it when I want a simple, fast-moving system rather than a detailed system with lots of gritty crunch. Both approaches are valid and there is plenty of room for them to coexist. I suspect that the exchange of ideas will benefit both parties.

Only the core rulebook of OpenQuest has been released as Open Game Content - it looks like the other genres will be closed for third-party usage.

That's completly correct.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a second edition of OpenQuest at some point that cleans up a few sections of the rules that are ambiguous

Me neither ;)

and incorporates some of the best ideas from Legend.

No that's not going to happen because :

1. I'm happy with OQ as it is, and if I am going to add new bits I want them to fit in with the OQ crunch lite philosphy.

2. I want OQ to remain its own man to a certain extent (for reasons you outline below).

There will still be some differences between the two systems though - I tend to think of OpenQuest as a lighter version of MRQ / Legend and use it when I want a simple, fast-moving system rather than a detailed system with lots of gritty crunch. Both approaches are valid and there is plenty of room for them to coexist. I suspect that the exchange of ideas will benefit both parties.

Bang on the money with your assessment of the relationship between OQ & Legend (and the soon to be released RQ6, which is evolving from MRQ2 ) BUT while I'll make sure that OQ is broadly compatible with other D100/RQ derivatives (so no dropping of the three types of magic) I've no plans to cross-pollenate with anyother system. OQ has its own design philopshy which I like and its own niche that is quietly profitable ;)

Edited by Newt

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Bang on the money with your assessment of the relationship between OQ & Legend (and the soon to be released RQ6, which is evolving from MRQ2 ) BUT while I'll make sure that OQ is broadly compatible with other D100/RQ derivatives (so no dropping of the three types of magic) I've no plans to cross-pollenate with anyother system. OQ has its own design philopshy which I like and its own niche that is quietly profitable ;)

I think that emphasizing the broad compatibility between d100 variants is a good move if we are to avoid the "Crisis of Multiple Runequests" (Does this sound like a crossover title from DC comics to you as well?)

And I suppose that it's easy enough to add granularity from Legend or BRP wherever you need it. For example, I'd probably incorporate combat manoeuvres from Legend....and I'm pretty sure that I'll be using the Modern Equipment Catalog from BRP with The Company.

Well that is probably what I am gonna do. Loved the Legend books but not everything in them. So I am thinking about sticking to my BRP book but pick the parts I like from the Legend book for my upcoming fantasy game. Since the games are so similar it's so easy to pick stuff and plug em into BRP. But nothing has been decided yet. :7

So I am thinking about sticking to my BRP book but pick the parts I like from the Legend book for my upcoming fantasy game. Since the games are so similar it's so easy to pick stuff and plug em into BRP. But nothing has been decided yet. :7

That's pretty much how I run my current fantasy campaign and it works for us

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I suspect that very few people play "pure" BRP or RQ or Legend or OpenQuest these days. The complex history of the system has led to a situation where most devotees happily mix and match elements from the different variants. In addition, the unhealthy fetishism of "game balance" and adherence to using the rules exactly as written that seems to dominate modern descendants of D&D does not seem to have infected the d100 community (yet). I think that there's a much higher comfort level with ambiguity and on-the-fly interpretation of the system - helped, no doubt, by the fact that none of the d100 variants are particularly complex.

Well since BRP at its core was always tweaked to the specific game it was serving (CoC, Stormbringer, Superworld, etc.), I think it is deeply entrenched in the community's mind that there is no 'one true basic set of rules' to play with (as there is for GURPS, HERO, Savage World or D&D). Sure all of these other systems are tweakable (some highly tweakable) but none of them have a basic rulebook that is a collection of options. Even though the community is now referring to the different rulesets (BRP, RQ, Legend, Openquest, Renaissance, Aeon) as the d100 system, in my mind they are all BRP variants because their roots can all be traced back to the system that was BRP even before it was called BRP. Heck, for me, KAP is another variant with the premise that all skills are based on 20 instead of 100.

Having said that, it is just natural to mix and match different options when comes the time to start a game. Skill categories or dual attributes as skill base? APP or CHA (semantics really)? Resistance table or opposed rolls? Dex/Int ranks with multiple actions allowed or Strike Ranks or Combat actions? Combat maneuvers or not? Specials or not? Personality traits? Passions?

It is hard not to find the options that suite our personal playstyle given a specific setting.

Edited by DreadDomain

I think the MRQ2 rule book has a few more things in it than Legend, off the top of my head, Spirit Magic was one of them (although you can now pick this up as a free pdf for Legend from the Mongoose site).

MRQ2 comes in a nice hard cover as well, so it's probably down to want you like. Legend certainly is handy at a gaming table, given it's nifty little digest-size. The internal lay-out in Legend is better IMO, but the content is pretty much the same as it is a re-edited version of MRQ2 and acknowledges the original authors. Legend feels simpler to me, but this is an illusion as it has nothing to do with game mechanics, it is to do with the internal lay-out and the small size of the rulebook.

Personally I'ld go with Legend as it is backward compatible with all the previous MRQ2 products anyway. Then I would check out RQ6 when it is published later this year, as it has the same authors as MRQ2 and will likely have some amended rules etc.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Well since BRP at its core was always tweaked to the specific game it was serving (CoC, Stormbringer, Superworld, etc.), I think it is deeply entrenched in the community's mind that there is no 'one true basic set of rules' to play with (as there is for GURPS, HERO, Savage World or D&D). Sure all of these other systems are tweakable (some highly tweakable) but none of them have a basic rulebook that is a collection of options.

(snipped)

Wait, what, GURPS 4e basic set isn't a rulebook to pick options from? Because that's how I remember it worked last time I ran it;D!

BTW, Savage Worlds also has options to pick from in the corebook, so I guess this difference applies mostly to D&D and maybe HERO;).

Edited by AsenRG

Wait, what, GURPS 4e basic set isn't a rulebook to pick options from? Because that's how I remember it worked last time I ran it;D!

BTW, Savage Worlds also has options to pick from in the corebook, so I guess this difference applies mostly to D&D and maybe HERO;).

You either misunderstand what I was trying to say or mischieviously distort my meaning >:>

In all seriousness, I meant that other systems mostly have a "true way" of doing stuff around which maybe tons of options gravitate (HERO and GURPS have loads of options). In BRP, the "one true way" doesn't seem to be set as strongly (or rather the footprint of the immuable system is a lot smaller) and the BGB feels more like a collection of options to choose from. I am not saying it is a bug nor a feature but rather an explanation of why so many different iteration of the system float around. They are all distinguishly BRP based or influenced and yet they are all different.

Guest Vile Traveller

There is one (rather short) review on DTRPG already, which says it includes the alchemy and seafaring rules.

These POD page limits are starting to worry me - the Legend book is 242 pages including covers. I hope I can fit everything I need into the full-on AEON book while keeping it a reasonable cost break-point ...

Someone who purchased it could even copy and paste the text (including the OGL) into a text document and we could all see exactly what is included, since all of the Legend line is OGC.

I've actually been extracting the text from the Legend books as they come out and placing them into a master document so that I can add in my house rules. This also allows me to fix a few of the inconsistencies between books and add a few ideas from OpenQuest that I think are improvements on the mechanics in the Mongoose edition. It's slow work, but in the long term it will enable me to build my own custom version of the rules. O:)

Someone who purchased it could even copy and paste the text (including the OGL) into a text document and we could all see exactly what is included, since all of the Legend line is OGC.

Although fully within the terms of the OGL, unless this was released as a free supplement, I would be very uncomfortable with this.

If I wrote something for Legend under the OGL and found that it had been copied into a text document and posted as a free download then I would think again about using the OGL. In fact, I would then make rules stuff OGC and everything else protected, which really defeats the point of Legend.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Although fully within the terms of the OGL, unless this was released as a free supplement, I would be very uncomfortable with this.

If I wrote something for Legend under the OGL and found that it had been copied into a text document and posted as a free download then I would think again about using the OGL. In fact, I would then make rules stuff OGC and everything else protected, which really defeats the point of Legend.

This. If it was a website that was trying to make something you can reference, like d20pfsrd.com, where it was posting all the rules for easy reference, I'd be ok with that and would support it. Both with content and financially. However if it was a google doc where you could download it and then have a copy and thus negate the need for buying the rules in the first place, rename it something and give it away as their own, I'd think twice about supporting Legend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for openness and I do send my pathfinder monsters to d20pfsrd.com for them to post online for free. But they don't have a "one single document" that someone can download. Its there for someone to reference anytime they want. But its not a one click download to get the whole thing. For that you have to buy the PDF from me (and I don't make my PDFs expensive). Slight distinction, I know, but that is my level of comfort.

Its kind of like being able to listen to all of Jonathan Coulton's songs on his website forever for free. I've bought a number of his songs because I was able to hear it first. But I don't go looking for his music on bittorrent. Just my level of comfort.

Edited by dmccoy1693

Err, the point as I understood it of the "... of Legend" series is precisely that the entire text is OGC. So it would be an entirely legitimate thing to do with "Monsters of Legend" or the new "Arms of Legend" but NOT with e.g. "Age of Treason" (that's not an "... of legend" book so none of it's contents is OGC). Legend compatible products don't have to work that way, but obviously have to acknowledge the OGC nature of any content used from the Legend core books.

Nick

What would make you feel uncomfortable about it ? I am led to believe that if Mongoose did not want someone to re-use the text in another format they would not put a page in the document saying that the whole document ( excluding images ) is OGC. Having a text document with the OGC text sans illustrations is in no way going to prevent people from buying the formatted illustrated pdf from Mongoose. I bought the Monsters pdf myself.

I think if I was an author, I would definitely think about protecting my writing under the OGL before it was published, and make sure I understood exactly how the OGL works. Mongoose is fully aware of how the OGL functions, and it is their fully informed business strategy to publish under the OGL, and to make all of the text OGC. The Legend pdf is still the hottest pdf on drivethrurpg, and Equipment of Legend is #3.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

All the text of this book is designated as Open Content – this means you are free to use

the Open Game Licence (overleaf ) to reproduce this text and build upon it with your own

scenarios and mechanics. You can even print and sell such work, if that is your desire (and we

would wish you the very best of luck if you choose to do this!).

This is text from the Monsters of Legend pdf. I highlighted certain text.

I use  fantasygrounds.com