Changes in good old roleplaying?

Enpeze

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, of course, he was famous for being killed by a trollkin.

Which is sort of stupid. I mean, shouldn't the trollkin be famous for killing a Rune Lord? We don't even know the little bugger's name.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

But Rurik is 'Good Old Roleplaying', so he's right on-topic IMO...

And, of course, he was famous for being killed by a trollkin.

Pardon my ignorance - Rurik the Restless has been laid to rest? Who says? And when and where did it happen?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

But Rurik is 'Good Old Roleplaying', so he's right on-topic IMO...

Well said that man!

Pardon my ignorance - Rurik the Restless has been laid to rest? Who says? And when and where did it happen?

Well, since you asked ......

Rurik the Restless didn't die, as far as I know. He's from RQ3.

Rurik Runespear, from RQ2, however, lived in Pavis and did a lot of adventuring before becoming a Rune Lord and then getting killed by a trollkin near Troll Bridge.

I think the combat (RQ2) went something like:

Rurik: I'll attack the Great Troll and parry the Dark Troll.

GM: What are you doing against the trollmkin?

Rurik: The trollkin? Ha, ha, ha, ha!

One melee round later .....

Rurik: Aaagh! Blasted trollkin!

To be fair, he did pop up later on a HeroQuest, so perhaps he didn't die permanently.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

What, no Car Wars?

You can't claim to be experienced in Roleplaying if you haven't played Car Wars.

None of this rubbish about playing a Magic User, a Troll or a Lord of Chaos, in Car Wars you could play tanks or 18 wheelers with bulldozer attachments.

Now, that's roleplaying.

And Goblins, and having a voodoo power plant that ran on human blood!!!

Runequestement votre,

Kloster (who lost his world record for acceleration).

Rurik the Restless didn't die, as far as I know. He's from RQ3. Rurik Runespear, from RQ2, however, lived in Pavis and did a lot of adventuring before becoming a Rune Lord and then getting killed by a trollkin near Troll Bridge. ... To be fair, he did pop up later on a HeroQuest, so perhaps he didn't die permanently.

Nah, RQ3 was Cormac & Co. Rurik the Restless was RQ2 and he didn't die, just got captured and ransomed by, yes, trolls (well, who hasn't?). I guess he became known as "Runespear" when he was a RuneLord. (Is it him in an old Wyrms Footnotes?)

Rurik Lives!

(I confess - my first and best RQ character was of Yelmalio...)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I have it, but I've never played.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I've sorta played it. The rumor has always been that the city of Refuge in Glorantha is really Sanctuary and I have used the map and some basics there before, but of course much of the fleshing out was tradtional Glorantha.

I've sorta played it. The rumor has always been that the city of Refuge in Glorantha is really Sanctuary and I have used the map and some basics there before, but of course much of the fleshing out was tradtional Glorantha.

What rumor. It is mentioned in the old Chasoium Thieves World stuff. They created Refuge to playtest the Thieves World stuff. The name is a good clue too.

No, this is Thieve's world (I also have it, with the companion) you're speaking about, not Thieve's guild.

This one, I have used and enjoyed.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

No, this is Thieve's world (I also have it, with the companion) you're speaking about, not Thieve's guild.

This one, I have used and enjoyed.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Oops. I'm not familiar with Thieve's guild and just assumed it was the same thing.

Oops. I'm not familiar with Thieve's guild and just assumed it was the same thing.

Thieves Guild was a D&D-like game where every player was a thief. The list of possible PC races included Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds and Pixies along with the usual suspects. While the game rules themselves were uninspired, they released lots of adventures that were very different from the usual stuff coming out at the time. For example, one of the adventures took place during the Duke's fancy dress ball. You had to infiltrate and steal this necklace from the duchess.

Thieves Guild was a D&D-like game where every player was a thief. The list of possible PC races included Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds and Pixies along with the usual suspects. While the game rules themselves were uninspired, they released lots of adventures that were very different from the usual stuff coming out at the time. For example, one of the adventures took place during the Duke's fancy dress ball. You had to infiltrate and steal this necklace from the duchess.

You beat me.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I remember that. It was one of the first RPGs printed by computer on a dox matrix printer. THey did a bunch of adds ons, and supplments, with everything numbered so that you could add sections into a three ring binder. So if they added a few adventures around a certain section of the city, you'd get the pages numbered and lettered so you knew where to put them.

TG had some neat innovations. It's Armor Classs ystem got swiped by D&D, eventually. In Thieves' Guild AC went up and the number needed to hit you was you AC (just like in D&D 3rd edtion, but 18 years earlier).

The company behind it kept promising to release a full RPG to allow players to play different classes, but I never saw it. Does anyone know if it was ever released?

It is good to read through a thread where it all kicks off - I love it when someone is so wound up that their typing goes to pieces.

I have to say that I never saw much rpg bitching until I got in with runequesters. Glorantha has always suffered horrendously from, how to best describe them..., errr, wankers. In all my years of roleplaying, the only people I've had look down their noses at me are Gloranthan runequesters, the only person I've ever wanted to kill for a really smug look/comment was a Gloranthan runequester (to be fair that sort of thing did manifest itself in his general personality, but that such a **** was attracted to Gloranthan runequest in the first place tells a story).

As much as I love RQ and Glorantha, and I really do, there is an identifiable level of pompousity that seems to go hand in hand with it. Glorantha has always seemed to be its own worst enemy...

However, the bitching is a part of the attraction. I remember the out of game conversations about how so and so was joining this cult and how everyone else was going to do that character in. After one such conversation I remember coming away with the distinct impression that Chalana Arroy was some kind of violent war god...(I had only read the RQ2 rulebook at this point I would stress). I guess any game, or world that can provoke such extremes of response has got to have something really good going for it.

All these debates about linear and nonlinear roleplaying are quite good fun though.

I know it's all a matter of personal taste, but it seems that the claim to be a nonlinear roleplayer is tantamount to implying that you are more intelligent, more demanding of your roleplaying, more mature, better in bed, etc.

Personally I gave up on nonlinear roleplaying when I was about fifteen. If I've made the necessary sacrifices required by modern life to give up a day for roleplaying, I'm going to get the right hump with any GM who tries to dress up a total lack of preparation as "nonlinear roleplaying".

Whilst we all know that no players ever do what you expect them to do, and you've got to be prepared to think on your feet as a GM, I think that the art is to make something that is ultimately linear appear otherwise.

It can get to be a mix. I've seen people from other RPGs look down upon gamers, including DQ players, and definitely D&Ders. It used to be that if you weren't playing D&D, the D&D would scoff at you.

That is were a lot of the animosity towards D&D comes from. Back in the AD&D days there was a lot of "Garry considered doing it that way, but decided that this way is better." Most of which was crap.

The problem with trailblazing is that you don;t have any path to follow, but literally have to make your own way.

But a lot of the discussion is because we can't get face to face and show by example. I for one loath when a GM yanks me around by the nose. The "stick & carrot" approach is what I think works best.

I guess it's the kind of egos (and the level of intelligence) that get attracted to rpg that creates a degree of friction, as well as the ability to express it verbally.

I'm as bad as anyone else, I guess. I remember a one off game in a club I was attending for the first time where the GM used the Genertela book by Avalon Hill as if it was a D&D type module. We got to Wintertop like it was a room in a dungeon, and the description was "There's an army there." Emotive stuff. We approached this army who were apparently stood around in a giant mob like it was a sunday barbeque. Genius disguised as crap, surely?

I confess I had feelings of superiority toward the GM. I guess that makes me a roleplaying snob, too.

As you can imagine, I didn't re-attend. Anyone else have any pitiful roleplaying memories? Probably another thread...

I remember playing "Birthright" or something like together with another RQ friend, among a bunch of experienced, high-level D&D players. We both rolled 1st level noble dwarves, and decieded to be brothers. When out adventuring, we brought twenty servants, and a wagon with greek fire. After the GM saw the effect during the first battle, the servants all fail their "morale" rolls and ran away. We had quite fun. During a long travel during the dessert where we mostly sat in the wagon and drank alcohol, we became better swimmers (increased a level!). Towards the end we killed one of the xth level characters for taking a crystal we wanted (you should have seen his face! :D He was resurrected by his god later of course...:rolleyes:), and released a demon they had been using lots of time to catch. All in all, a great smug day.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

It is good to read through a thread where it all kicks off - I love it when someone is so wound up that their typing goes to pieces.

Whsoe woudn up? I dotn know wht you maen.

I have to say that I never saw much rpg bitching until I got in with runequesters. Glorantha has always suffered horrendously from, how to best describe them..., errr, wankers. In all my years of roleplaying, the only people I've had look down their noses at me are Gloranthan runequesters, the only person I've ever wanted to kill for a really smug look/comment was a Gloranthan runequester (to be fair that sort of thing did manifest itself in his general personality, but that such a **** was attracted to Gloranthan runequest in the first place tells a story).

Well, yes and no. My old gaming group was very heavily into Glorantha and RuneQuest, but they/we were well into the Wham/Bang school of roleplaying with full-burn scenarios and climbing over mountains of corpses to get to the rest. So, although we had hours-long discussions on Glorantha, we always tok it with a pinch of salt. So, not all Gloranthaphiles are jerks.

Having said that, there is a lot of philosophising about Glorantha which I don't always approve of or even like. Sure, the cultures have to be consistent, sure the religions have to be semi-realistic but do we have to go in as depply as we have done or discuss things in such excrutiating detail?

But, this is a BRP Forum, so I'd expect a healthy amount of anti-Glorantha feeling.

As much as I love RQ and Glorantha, and I really do, there is an identifiable level of pompousity that seems to go hand in hand with it. Glorantha has always seemed to be its own worst enemy...

Maybe, maybe not. I am sure that if someone had a wacky idea about giants in Middle Earth then the Rolemaster groupies would be up in arms about it.

The thing about Glorantha was that is was virtually unsupported for nearly 15 years, so people had to support it themselves. Since this was mainly web-based, it meant that only the really fanatical and committed people took the effort, which is why you see the same people on all the forums. I've been to a fair number of conventions and the degree of dorkiness doesn't seem to have reduced over the years.

But, hey, some of my best friends are dorks.

Don't forget that without RuneQuest there wouldn't be a BRP, no CoC or Eternal champion games in the way there have been. Without Glorantha there wouldn't have been a RuneQuest. So, without Glorantha there wouldn't have been a BRP.

What did Mongoose's Dead Blue Clown say about Gloranthaphiles? Something about "Wallowing in their elitism"?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

The other thing of note at Glorantha, is that the setting is older than the rpg hobby itself, and was originally being developed in the 1960s by Greg Stafford. Mr. Stafford himself had an academic grounding in Anthropology, which shows in the intricacy of the social design of the setting, whilst it was also claimed to be a reflection of his own shamanic visions. Whatever that means.

Then again, to be honest, I've never found other people's fantasy worlds particularly interesting - I've always prefered to develop my own, or play in more historically based, low fantasies.