Merrie England Questions

soltakss

• 3 weeks later...

Of course I want more stuff for free!

Actually, I was specifically referring to things like character sheets, maps of towns (or Ye Olde Generick Cathedral Towne), links to Cadfael fan sites, posted scenarios, etc. I know I'm not the only Harniac on this forum, so there are probably a ton of supplemental medieval materials that could be linked to in the downloads section.

I will be putting more stuff in the Merrie England Downloads section http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/MerrieEnglandDownloads.html when I have time.

I have added various links in the Links Section. If anyone finds any more that they think should go there, please let me know.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered this and CRUSADERS OF THE AMBER COAST to go with my VAL-DU-LOUPING. Can't wait. ;)

Aaand I got the book yesterday! I'm pleasantly surprised by how big the book is. Only skimmed it so far, but I'm looking forward to using it. Nice work. The cover art is really slick, and I like the combination of new and classical art within.

In the MRQ version, priests had the "Bless" skill, which allowed them to carry out Blessings of various forms. The idea was to move away from the RQ3-style approach of each blessing being a spell in itself and have a single skill for christenings, marriages, blessing holy water, blessing holy ground and so on. When we converted to BRP, we found that Perform (Ritual) worked in much the same way, so we decided to use that instead. However, I missed the Bless instances in the professions.

The Perform skill in BRP is a nice little catch-all, allowing you to do all sorts of things. But, Perform (Play(Instrument)) has one too many nested brackets for my taste.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

ok so to confirm my understanding...

What is the process of casting a Divine Magic Spell (Blessing) in Crusaders of the Merrie Stupor?

How is this different from congregational blessings?

Is it possible to "bless" someone in some way that isn't a named spell?

Miracles are a totally different thing but how do they fit into the RQ/BRP Divine Magic millieu? Divine Intervention?

The "Merrie Stupor" is a wording that is prone to misunderstandings, especially if some of the blessings include "pixied dust" or other inhalable substances.

Blessings are cast by simply invoking them. No roll is required, save for exceptional cases like being in Hell or so.

Congregational blessings are simply rituals used to accrue an extra effect (abstracted by additional Power Points used to fuel the blessing) for a blessing, used before some major quest or pilgrimage. It is also a way to reward your characters for attending a religious ceremony before important tasks. In this case, the effect takes place only if the leading priest succeeds in his Perform (Ritual) [the old Ceremony of RQ3] roll.

You can "bless" someone in an undefined way, by means of Perform (Ritual), without applying a divine spell. This is the equivalent of a funeral or marriage, and has no relevant in-game effect, save for the case in which you make Holy Water for use against Vampires. Note that "blessing weapons" before a battle is represented in game by the Bless spell, instead.

Miracles are like Divine Intervention, and the rules provide two alternate ways to perform them.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Also, various rites are performed using the Perform (Ritual) skill, such as Absolution. This might not seem very important, but if you go on a Quest with some sins hanging over you then they might be used against you, but if you are absolved first then those sins have been washed away so cannot count against you. There is a nice example in The Pillars of the Earth where a knight is given absolution for all the sins that he might commit in pursuit of a goal - this is something that actually happened, especially when on a Crusade (In the book, this came back to haunt the Bishop, though).

Divine Blessings are the equivalent of Divine Spells. We called the Blessings rather than Spells for aesthetic reasons and also to get around the idea of Christianity/Islam/Judaism using spells/magic. We didn't just use the Divine Magic from BRP Magic (RQ3 Magic Book) because that would have required the purchase of another book and because Divine Blessings work slightly differently when looking at stackable spells. We decided to go with different magic instead. However, it should be fine to use Divine Magic as Divine Blessings as long as you use the different rules in Merrie England for how many points are used/available.

A lot of things could in theory be covered by blessing people and these should be handled by the GM in consultation with the player concerned. So, a priest could bless an enterprise (perhaps a ship going on a voyage), a sick person (perhaps to heal them, perhaps to ease their suffering, perhaps to hasten their end), a lunatic (to drive out the demons possessing them) or whatever.