MYTHIC ICELAND - Legend & Adventure in Viking-Age Iceland

Trifletraxor

mythic-iceland.jpgThe Nordic and Celtic peoples who settled Iceland in the 9th century came from lands with rich traditions of folklore, where the mythical and supernatural were part of daily life. They found an island of striking beauty, with inland valleys, richly grassed and forested lowlands, massive glaciers, and impressive volcanic mountain ranges. They also found the land to be teeming with spirits of nature and mythic creatures.

This book aims to bring to life the world of the Icelandic Sagas and fairy tales.

By Pedro Ziviani. 272 pages. Published by Chaosium December 2011.

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing how back luck can get in the way at Chaosium, this is a possibility, though the "official" release states Winter 2012.

SDLeary

A combination of bad luck and back logs? I guess if things weren't chaotic over there they wouldn't live up to the name.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Mythic Iceland is available now in pdf format. The printed book should be available next month, in January 2012.

The creature in the cover is the King of Bears, from Icelandic fairy tales, and is one of around 30 new creatures described in the book. The myth goes that the King of Bears rules over a colony of intelligent polar bears located in the Central High Lands of Iceland. The horn of the creature is magical, and can light up so that the king can guide the other polar bears in the darkness of winter.

Here is the table of contents from Mythic Iceland: Introduction - History of Mythic Iceland - Character Creation - Life in Saga-Age Iceland - Law and Government - Norse Religion - Magic in Mythic Iceland - A Traveler’s Guide to Mythic Iceland - Elves and the Hidden People - Álfheimur, The World of the Elves - The Lands to the West - The Wide World - Going Viking - Running a Game of Mythic Iceland - Creatures of Mythic Iceland - Sample Scenario: The Trouble with Neighbors - Cthulhu Dark Ages Iceland - Cthulhu Dark Ages Scenario - Bibliography - Fold-Out Map.

I've "purchased" the adventure three times but have never had the option to actually download it. :?

After "purchasing" the free pdf of the scenario on the Chaosium website, you need to go into your account page, by clicking on the "My Account" link at the top, and then click on "My Downloads" link at the bottom of your account page. You should then see a page that shows you all of your available downloads, of all the pdf products you have purchased in the past.

Some initial impressions:

The map is possibly one of the best I'e seen in a gaming product. It is detailed enough to be useful while still evoking the mythical "here there be monsters" ethos of the book. If it is custom work, and not authentic (wonderfully difficult to tell) the designer deserves high praise.

Excited about the importance of Allegiance in the game,which helps bring in the mythical feel and to distinguish MI from say RQ Vikings. How allied are you to a god other than Loki is a guiding question.

Each PC gets a fetch that grants various significant mechanical benefits, which is a nice spin on Personality types. Adds some fun niche protection too.

New power type: runecasting!

Interesting metagame use of Luck.

Skraelings and stats for tomahawks. :)

Respectable bestiary.

Two scenarios (3 if you count Yule Cat). One is a Cthulhu Dark Ages scenario.

I am very pleased with the book so far. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what types of magic are covered in Mythic Iceland? I know that there is rune magic, from the review here http://www.wexogo.com/2011/08/mythic-iceland-review-brp/ but what about Seiðr?

Rune Magic is covered in great detail in Mythic Iceland, with a new and very flexible magic system based on how rune magic is described in the Sagas. Spá magic is covered in two ways; there are rules for player characters to introduce their own prophecies to the game, and there is also guidance on how the GM might make use of a völva (seeress) as a NPC who introduces important clues about the future. Seiðr is not covered.

Rune Magic is covered in great detail in Mythic Iceland, with a new and very flexible magic system based on how rune magic is described in the Sagas. Spá magic is covered in two ways; there are rules for player characters to introduce their own prophecies to the game, and there is also guidance on how the GM might make use of a völva (seeress) as a NPC who introduces important clues about the future. Seiðr is not covered.

The more I read about this the more I want it. Will I be able to wait for the dead tree? Considering I don't know if the Chaosium site is now secure, I guess I will.