Sign in to follow this  
Vile

AEONS - Does it need a Name Change?

I'm starting to think that it might be worthwhile changing the name of the game to something other than AEON. Not because White Wolf have a game called Aeon (they don't) or because it's likely that someone will confuse an ancient fantasy RPG with a science fiction cartoon (it's not). The reason would be that it's getting just a tad tedious explaining that every time I post about it on other forums ... :7

What do you all think? Should I go generic with the Dreamscape System?

I do not see a necessity to change the name, although there are indeed

some other games named "Aeon RPG" out there, which could perhaps lead

to problems in the long run (once more than one game with that name be-

comes commercial) - here is an example:

http://aeonrpg.com/community/

That said, Aeon is a name which requires a bit of explanation, it is not im-

mediately obvious what the game is about (my own first thought would be

science fiction ...), so if you have an idea for another well fitting name a

change could make sense.

Dreamscape means less to me that Aeon, in fact it conjures up some kind of game where a Dreaming skill is important, creating dreamworlds for adventuring.

I guess I'm overreacting - I think I'll just have to get used to the armchair lawyer comments on some forums. It's probably just a combination of the weather and the prospect of dinner with the in-laws talking. :7

Oh, it's full name is AEON Ancient Fantasy Role-Playing Game. I think I'll be sticking with it. :)

Oh, it's full name is AEON Ancient Fantasy Role-Playing Game. I think I'll be sticking with it. :)

Yep, I can see no convinving reason to change the name. :)

Oops! Sorry, didn't know you already had a subtitle.

Good! That means my non-disclosure procedures were working! :P

To preface - call the game what you want to call it. I'm just some schmuck who may or may not buy it. The cover is darn pretty, but I've got a pile of BRP-clones already:)

Aeon does not say "ancient fantasy role playing to me". I can't tell you why exactly... It may be because the word is so grand, practically cosmic in scale that it invokes science fiction or a far future fantasy feel. "AEON Chronicles of the Future Earth" grabs my attention. "AEON Ancient Fantasy Role-Playing Game" had me thinking - AEON is not the acronym for Ancient Fantasy Role-Playing Game...

Your defense of the name AEON is valid.

That being said, having to make that defense, warranted or not, two-to-three times a day is a pain and may be more trouble than it's worth. If it were me and my game, I'd choose the path of least resistance and choose a name other than AEON.

I'd much rather be spending that time talking about and enjoying the game I designed than having to perpetually and repeatedly defend my choice in names. Consider what your priorities are.

As an aside, I once named a campaign I ran "Aberrant: Eruption". Then one day, I said it out loud as "Aberrant colon eruption". Needless to say, what was intended as a serious campaign was ruined.

AEON it will be, I'm not gonna argue with the trollkin. If my Photoshop stops twitching, I might even get the logo done one of these days!