ETA on Call of Cthulhu 7E?

sureshot

Hmm - I listened to the recording of the seminar and... well, it's not what I hoped.

It appears to be a rebuild from the ground up that sounds like it ignores the existence of the BGB version of BRP;

Nick

I finally got to read this summary of the seminar:

Inside Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition | The Unspeakable Oath

Well ... I agree with Nick ... and I must confess I immediately, ferociously (irrationally) HATED the gratuitous changes, especially those that touch the BRP core and ignore the BGB:

"Characteristics in 7th Edition are strictly percentile scores. There’s no Intelligence 12 with an Idea roll of INT x 5 or 60%; you have an Intelligence score of 60% and that’s your roll"

Interestingly, the hoary Resistance Table is gone. Instead, in opposed tests the Keeper sets the difficulty based on how good the opposition is. If your opponent has about a 40% skill or characteristic rating, you’d roll at your full skill rating to overcome. If your opponent has something like 90%, you need to roll one-fifth your skill to overcome."

Cool! It seems that - when everybody is going old school - including WotC - they want to modernize the only game that remained the same for 30 years...and they are going to update it to the tastes of 1999! Well, I cannot claim any expertise on the business side of things... maybe it will be a great success, but it's not for me.

And why did they ditch "Fast Talk"?

PS: "they" refers to the authors not to Chaosium.

PPS: Don't take this post too seriously. I have no ill feelings for the authors. I'm sure they love the game and did their best.

Edited by smiorgan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! It seems that - when everybody is going old school - including WotC - they want to modernize the only game that remained the same for 30 years...

I fully do agree with that! A few times ago, when the big golden edition of BRP was published, I was wondering: “But why did they keep all those little rules and options? Why didn’t they make a more homogeneous system by making choice, modernizing old rules, etc.? It was the best opportunity to make a renewed and better game…”

But now, I don’t think that anymore. The BRP system didn’t really change during 30 years, and it is one of his greatest advantages! Everyone who played it and who comes back to it – like I did, after a huge GURPS interruption – will find again all what he preferred inside.

Changing is a good thing… when something is wrong. It is even a mandatory, then. But when everything works fine, and when everybody is happy, changing becomes strange. Why doing it – especially when a rule system already offers so many different options?

Having said that, The new Cthulhu edition may bring some interesting optional rules. And they could even be added to a new edition of the BRP system, in several years… Who knows… Waiting for that time, I will go on playing Cthulhu with the golden BRP System book, which is one that I prefer. For two reasons: first, because it provides optional rules when I need them, especially during combats. Second, because my Cthulhu games are more homogeneous with my other games. No matter the game world, I always use the same rules.

• 5 months later...

Any news on when Cthulhu 7E is being published?

Let's hope it's fully backward compatible with the previous products, I'ld hate all my resources to become obsolete...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Having been in the play test I can assure you that it is perfectly compatible with older scenarios.

As for an ETA I can only say that the Horror on the Orient Express KS is due first but I might suspect that we'd see 7e released for Gencon this year, but knowing Chaosium it could be December this year, Gencon next year or even sometime in 2015.

Nigel

Well that sounds hopeful.

Its one of the few games I have that I can grab a scenario from 25 years ago and play it as it is. Totally brilliant.

I'm not overly concerned on the release date, my current editions serve me well, just as long that it is a good buy when it is released.

Thanks for getting back to me B-)

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"