RQ Skyrim?

Darkholme

You know, if you sit down and play it yourself, you can drive him crazy instead, telling him about what YOU did in skyrim.

Either that or it ends in you guys sitting and having a few drinks comparing all the cool stuff you did, and then going to see if you can do even cooler stuff for next time.

Teenage sons drink with their dads right? Or was my dad atypical that way when I was a teenager?

It IS a game where you can play as a Viking and run around killing dragons, and shield bashing them in the face. I dont think I've really gotten into a new videogame since like 2001 (Neverwinter Nights 1, and its expansions), and I keep wishing I wasnt so busy and that I had time to play skyrim again. So I'm just saying, you might have fun.

[Edit: Rosen Posted, Here is response]

Its alot like the old Elder Scrolls games in terms of how it would translate to RQ, but with the addition of *Shouts* and Perks.

> Shouts are heavy duty "Words of Power" that do something very specific and very powerful in comparison to normal magic (and come in three levels) (And only have a cooldown as a limiting factor), but are supposed to be very hard for anyone other than dragons to learn.

> Perks are like the Perks in Fallout, if you've played that. Essentially, as you level up, you get Perk Points, which can be spent on any Perks you meet the prerequisites for. The Points can be used later. They're kindof like feat-trees attached to a single skill, which let you do new things or change how you used to do old things. So for archery, for example, you can slow down game time while aiming. In a tabletop that would be making the process of aiming have a better payoff. Or, there's one in Stealth, which makes it so you don't set off traps while sneaking, due to stepping really lightly. Things like that. The number of Perks you have (or could spend) would be directly proportionate to the amount of experience you have.

I dont imagine it would be terribly difficult to model, as you mentioned; you'd need to do the spells in an existing system, and do the Shouts/Perks as new subsystems.

My question was more asking people if they had tried doing it, and anything interesting things they came up with in the process.

But its dawning on me now that there's a decent chance most of the people on these boards are likely over 30 (a bit older than the rpg.net & ENWorld & candlekeep demographics), and are therefore less likely to have sat down and played skyrim for any real length of time, let alone ran a tabletop campaign modeled after it.

Suffice to say, the videogame is fun, and the setting is very interesting.

Edited by Darkholme

Probably over 40 rather than over 30. But the only reason I do not play Skyrim is that it would overheat my graphic card. I loved Morrowind.

Perks are clearly modelizable as Legendary Abilities in RQ.

Shouts are like the Ajaran system that I wrote in 2010. Raw power with devastating effects. Unfortunately, there is no English version of this magic system.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

What language is it in?

I speak french, and I'm iffy on russian. I could figure it out, especially with google at my side. If its not in english, I can still figure it out.

As for the Age thing: You can consider me one of very few people in their 20's on this board then. 10 years ago I was still in highschool.

Edited by Darkholme

But its dawning on me now that there's a decent chance most of the people on these boards are likely over 30
Ha ha ha now that's really funny ;D

Hey I'm about to be middle aged and I have friends playing Skyrim! The only reason I don't have it is that I am playing 'Star Wars The Old Republic' instead, and given the family commitments I can only fit one online session in a week. Oh, and the fact that I'm always GM prepping for my monthly RQ or Cthuhlu sessions!!!

Elder Scrolls have always been cool, but yes, Skyrim really has a 'runequesty' flavour to the combat it portrays, and it looks like a really immersive setting, I'll probably grab it when Steam has a special.

If I was porting it to a pnp rpg I would use BRP or MRQ2/LEGEND. You would have to tweak Magic for the setting, but I dunno if I would port over 'Shouts and Perks' as is. Would you really need Perks? Or can you portray it with high level skill use? If using MRQ2/LEGEND you could make up some new Heroic Abilities perhaps...

But yes, the setting is great

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I speak french, and I'm iffy on russian. I could figure it out, especially with google at my side. If its not in english, I can still figure it out.

RuneQuest II: Ambientazione - La ruota del fato

Trif, you might want to add this to the list of supplements.

As for the Age thing: You can consider me one of very few people in their 20's on this board then.

There are many others who are under 30, of course. It is a matter of presence of old people, not of absence of the young.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

But its dawning on me now that there's a decent chance most of the people on these boards are likely over 30 (a bit older than the rpg.net & ENWorld & candlekeep demographics), and are therefore less likely to have sat down and played skyrim for any real length of time, let alone ran a tabletop campaign modeled after it.

I don't enjoy playing computer games, but there again I never enjoyed playing arcade games either. I spent long enough standing beside someone for hours while they destroyed world war 2 aircraft carriers one after another or whatever.

For me, it isn't an age thing, just something I've never liked doing. I don't have the co-ordination, the patience or the inclination to learn all the moves, but friends of mine who are around the same age as me spend several hours a day online playing all kinds of stuff.

But Skyrim looks great and should port across to a Tabletop RPG really well.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Lol. I'm well out of my 30's but still balance game time between Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 2 (going for that perfect Paragon-Shep save for Mass Effect 3 next month). I still have a skateboard too... :)

You know, I've given a little thought to adding a skyrim-like perks system to RQ/Legend. Though some perks would be redundant. Critical hit perks and things covered by Combat Manoeuvres (like Disarm Opponent) come to mind.

But I'd love to see Shield Bash added to the game. #1 best perk ever.

Edited by hanszurcher

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

Lol. I guess I underestimates how much you old guys like videogames. (teasintg)

Thats actually pretty cool. I dont like the idea of only gaming once a month, but I get that when you get older you usually have alot less time for fun.

And shield bash is the best perk; so much fun.

@Rosen: So the rulesystem is in the Italian Wheel of Fate setting book, or just somewhere on the same site?

Edited by Darkholme

Just had a thought while I should be studying.

It occurs to me that RuneQuest would (mostly) make a good ruleset to model a Skyrim campaign. (I imagine you may need to make some changes to the magic system, add in shouts, and maybe perks.)

Has anyone done anything with RQ & Skyrim?

What language is it in?

As for the Age thing: You can consider me one of very few people in their 20's on this board then. 10 years ago I was still in highschool.

In English there is The Elder Scrolls BRP-yfied!

and in french there is a WIP:

- Elder Scroll : Règles de combat

- Elder Scrolls, Adaptation du monde

- Elder Scrolls : Bestiaire

How much damage is done by an arrow to the knee?

Well lets figure this out. A long bow arrow would do 5-6 points of damage on average, plus 1/2 damage bonus. Figuring an average human archer at least has a damage bonus of 1D4 points, that would be another 1-2 points for an average of 7 points of damage. The normal Skyrim guard looks to have maybe Cuirbouilli armor on the legs for 3 points of protection, bringing the average damage down to 4 points. Now using the hit location optional rule, the average Skyrim guard maybe has 14 hit points for 5 points in each leg. This would bring him or her down to 1 point in the leg and cause him or her to limp around for a bit... but not cause any lasting injury.

I would have to assume most Skyrim guards are milking the health care system for all its worth, and while some may have actually received lasting injuries, most are just liars. Right along with all those guards that go around saying they would have helped me destroy the Dark Brotherhood, but they were sick that day.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
forgot to halve the damage bonus

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Hey! I joined the Dark Brotherhood... You'll be getting a 'friendly visit' later.

Well, you better watch out then because my other character is the leader of the Dark Brotherhood. ;)

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Fond memories of my character in full-on werewolf rampaging through the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. My very first bare-handed decapitation. Still brings tears to my eyes.

Which reminds me. Any BRP rules/ideas covering werewolf characters?

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price