Basic Roleplay New Layout

Scout

It just came out a few years ago. While I agree that a truncated version with better layout would be nice (and much better for dragging in new folks, pipedream that is) I don't think that will happen any time soon.

I really wanted BRP to work, and it does. But I just couldn't juggle all the references and optional extras scattered here and there.

Thanks for the info.

I realise the rules wouldn't change, but to be honest I found the organisation so bad, I couldn't get through it and sold it on.

You should have used the electronic version. The "search" function of PDF reader software does miracles :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was running our game last night with the hardcopy (with a PDF on iPad for backup) and didn't have any issues at all with finding what I wanted. Maybe because I always start by looking in the index? (hate it when there isn't an index).

I wasn't up on the artillery rules but we had an impromptu fight with some salvaged cannons and it went swimmingly (especially for the side that lost).

I've never really had any trouble finding what I need, but it helps that I've played Call of Cthulhu and Runequest variants for years so I know a lot of the rules without needing to reference them.

If I was new to it I could see it being a problem as lots of the different rules are spread over various chapters.

One thing I do love is the Spot Rules chapter. It's so useful to have one place to go to for all the 'non-standard' stuff, especially during combat.

I've got the PDF version but I've only ever used it when I'm writing up a game and can't be bothered to balance book, laptop, coffee and ashtray on and around me.

"Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing."

• 3 months later...

Index, Alphabetical skill list, list of the Spot rules - all with page references - are the survival guide at the table. I printed these out on a paper, so I can find things fast during play. Although, I use a bookmarked version of the PDF on my iPad now. Speeds things up a lot.

I like the way the rules are written. They repeat themselves over and over in the book, always in the right context. I rarely overlook something while reading - Jason did a great job. After 4 years of referencing it, I can really recall every important rule and where it is located in the BGB. Cannot say that from a lot of game rule books. I know some people complain about Chaosium reprinting old stuff over and over, but I like it there is no new rule book coming out every 2 years or so.

Ah, BTW, got an email from Dustin, he forwarded my errata to Charlie who is "the keeper of the books". So I guess the next new BGB reprint has a good chance of having all errors fixed. I hope they will fix the PDF as well, so we might really have a 99.9999% error free BGB :-D

I think that's awesome ;)

I know some people complain about Chaosium reprinting old stuff over and over, but I like it there is no new rule book coming out every 2 years or so.
This. They certainly have the runs on the field with this.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Index, Alphabetical skill list, list of the Spot rules - all with page references - are the survival guide at the table. I printed these out on a paper, so I can find things fast during play. Although, I use a bookmarked version of the PDF on my iPad now. Speeds things up a lot.

That's pretty smart right there. I rely on the 'flipping through while watching the lower left hand corner and the pictures' method. Granted, I tend to navigate gamebooks by flipping through them and looking for landmarks.

In general, I'm very happy with the BGB. The titles drive me insane though. The font is so close to comic sans that it burns my eyes and it looks like when it was laid out the titles were blocked by the text blocks so that the bottom of the titles were cut off. I'd very much like to see a font change and title fix.

70/420