BRP Transhuman Space

Insect King

Hey all,

I stumbled across this site by accident but I'm hoping you guys might have I'm looking for: a BRP conversion for Transhuman Space/Eclipse Phase.

I also found that absolutely marvellous Traveller/Meta/Scifi SRD by soltakss by searching around but it would require too much extra time to convert it to EP-to-BRP before Monday's character generation starts. I currently have my own cobbled together percentile system but an established engine might suit me much better.

Has somebody done a Transhuman Space or Eclipse Phase-to-BRP conversion? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Insect King

The easiest thing to start with would be the mutations, particularly for uplifted animals, and the powers, which would be explained by genetic sequencing, cybernetics, nano-technology. Super Characteristics and Super Senses would pretty much cover your cybernetic implants. Medichines would provide Regeneration and perhaps Defense. Superskills could be neural augments.

A hard science fiction setting would prohibit certain powers. Flight, invisibility, weather control, and the like.

Though, if you wanted a more comic book, cinematic, flavor, you could allow them with some handwaving about 'quantum mechanistic effects amplified through wave-field generators, blah, blah, blah.'

Ultimately, chapter 4, 'Powers,' of BRP has pretty much already done the mechanics. You just need to supply the terminology.

Thanks.

I was hoping somebody had done all the work for me... I noticed a poster on quite a few forums mentioning this but he seems happy with Eclipse Phase as is.

Oh well. When in Rome, you have to do all sacking and pillaging yourself.

Cheers,

Chris.

The handful of times I've played Eclipse Phase it felt like it was already a lot like BRP... just with lots of chrome sprinkled on top to depict the peculiarities of the setting... which is mighty peculiar IMO.

Some of the folks we were playing with complained that it was too 'crunchy' but they were big-time FATE fans... so... whatever.

Both systems use a percentile-based resolution system. So yeah, mechanically they're not that far apart.

I do not have a problem with the system; I have a problem with the huge, front loading character generation. If I can get rid of chargen then I would be happy. It's not like I cannot do it but I was hoping someone beat me to it.

C.

The character generation took a bit of time but I thought it was a fun introduction to the setting and worth the time for the resulting detail, most of which was immediately pertinent in the game.

Given EP's setting it's more like you're creating several PCs at once... the base character, its physical forms, internal muses, reputations/identities with various factions... I'm not sure I'd want a quicker generation system if it meant losing that stuff, a lot of which came into play in our very first session.

Also, most of the time it took was in our figuring out the setting for the first time... that huge number of possibilities and crazy things we could make. I'm sure that after a bit of play we would have done generation a LOT faster because we'd have a better idea what we wanted to do.

I guess I'm just the type who doesn't mind a bit of front-loaded work to get an evocative PC (not merely an 'optimized' one). GURPS never bugged me either in that regard.

On the other hand sometimes it is fun to just say 'magic user', roll a handful of dice and be done... especially when the PCs are likely to face a lot of perma-death.

Edited by Simlasa

I guess I'm just the type who doesn't mind a bit of front-loaded work to get an evocative PC (not merely an 'optimized' one). GURPS never bugged me either in that regard.

On the other hand sometimes it is fun to just say 'magic user', roll a handful of dice and be done... especially when the PCs are likely to face a lot of perma-death.

I just feel that a lot of Eclipse Phase's front-loading is actually unnecessary (1000 points along pre-paid Aptitudes, 50 skills and traits, at different point-cost rates scales...) I just want to scrap the avalanche of crunch while keeping the cool stuff. I do realise some people like the detail that extreme side of the curve grants but its not going to work for me or my group. I like some ideas like Margin of Success/Failure but not how they're implemented. I like professions and interests but these should be a series of optional traits.

Cheers,

Chris.