[JBE] Monster of the Week

dmccoy1693

So the survey is in with no real clear winner. So the two most logical places for me to start are NPCs and Monsters. Being a notable Pathfinder monster designer, I decided to move ahead with monsters first. Since it was mentioned in the other thread that a griffon was needed, I decided to kick off the monster a week with that. So be sure to check out the griffon and tell us what you think.

And be sure to pick up Legendy Factions: Common Factions 1. This book compiles the factions presented for over a month into one easy to download and reference supplement. Be sure to grab your copy today.

I don't have that book. I have the RQ1 monster book and I did use that as a basis. But I updated it to Legend myself. Sure much of it is the same, but there are differences between the versions. I had a special request for a griffon so that is what I did.

My philosophy is that it is better to start off attempting to to understand the basics before attempting to move onto creating something from whole cloth. In practical terms, that means deconstructing existing material and figuring out how it works. If what I updated was identical to the MC book, then I'd say I was successful in my attempt. I'm probably going to do another update or two before attempting my own monster creation efforts. If you ignore these early attempts, I understand. I'm still new to the system and I am still learning it. Updates like these help me understand what a monster should reasonably look like. This way, when I do attempt my first solo monster, I am making something of higher quality than a total novice.

I just checked, and the Griffin is in the MRQ I System Reference Document - so the original MRQ stats are OGC. If you plan to release this in a compilation down the track, you should update section 15 of the OGL accordingly.

Other creatures released as OGC in the MRQ I system reference document which could easily be updated to Legend include the Catoblepas, the Hippogriff, the Pixie, the Sea Serpent, and the various nymphs (dryad, hag, naiad, and oread)