Looking for a BRP SRD (modern/sci-fi) or other ideas

Over on a solo gaming thread at another site, a user was looking for an X-Com clone.  I got to chatting and suggested M-Space since it was d100 based (like X-Com) and had hit location which in turn would imply a tactical advantage for cover.  I like cover as a tactical solution rather than a pile of abstract mods.  If someone is standing behind a brick wall and they are shot in the legs, they're protected.  Easy peasy.

But, that got my mind playing with doing more that just hacking an existing system.  So, I'm curious as to what is out there in d100 land that would be a good starting point if I wanted to roll my own.  I figure starting from a SRD would save me some leg work and then I could focus on the flavor, gear, and procedures for fleshing out the world.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Posted (edited)

The BRP:UGE text is a SRD (released under the new ORC license) ... not the art, graphic design, etc; but the mainline text itself.  Text-extracted files in several open formats can be found, either via links in this forum or at Chaosium's website.
That is probably the most comprehensive/versatile ruleset available under an open license.

Mythras (previously Runequest 6e) is a newer variant of BRP; Nash/Whitaker did interesting things replacing the crit/fumble rules with "Special Effects".  In SRD terms, the main rules are not "open" nor have an SRD, but the remarkably-full-featured "lite" version,  titled Mythras Imperative, *IS* ORC-licensed, and free in PDF, and likewise has a stripped-down / text only doc available online.

Oh, and OpenQuest -- yet another close relative of BRP -- has an SRD for their OQ3 edition; this uses the CC license.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)

I took the official .RTF and reformatted it all in LibreOffice to A5, and split it into three more manageable volumes. There's a zip file containing the three fully styled .ODT files on my website at https://mojobob.com/roleplay/BRP-UGE-ODT.zip. It's about 950KB.

The fonts required to make it look as it should are Boucherie Block (for the headings) and Helvetica LT (for the text). There's also Helvetica LT CondensedLight used in some tables where space was at a premium. Free versions of all these fonts are available out there on the internet.

Edited by Peter Fitz
  • Like 1