[BRP/Magic World] Advanced Sorcery announced!

BMonroe

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, and neat ideas, but the book's out of my hands at this point.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about any of the enhancements you are asking about, but there is some difference to ArsMagica. The Spheres and Rune system, as listed, is essentially a modified version of Loz' magic system that appeared in Unknown East. Something like what your after may have been added, but based on Zomben's post above, it doesn't look like it.

As far as other settings such as Modern Fantasy, sounds like John Snead's Enlightened Magic might be the ticket.

But, hell. This is BRP. Mixing and matched and general bodging should not be that difficult.

SDLeary

I will likely buy Enlightened Magic also, and I am aware of it, but it presents a different take on magic - essentially building in classical occult aspects, rather than focussing on free-form abilities.

The source of the system above I'm sure is as you say, although the similarities as such, give an indication that Laurence must have been influenced in part at least by the Ars magica system. So was Mage, and indeed a bunch of magic systems written in the 1990s. There is certainly a common meme.

The 'enhancements' I'm suggesting (if anyone likes to call them that!), really are just about dealing with likely interpretation issues that will be presented by typical game groups and players, while also just being interested in presenting the ideas with evocative descriptions. The latter can be handled personally, while it's always worth considering the former before publication I feel.

Not Loz's, though he gave his official approval oh so long ago. The were published in the Chaosium Digest way back in 1996. Excuse me while I feel old for a moment... Anyway, Charlie Seljos was the author.

Edit: so as not to clutter up this thread, I'm going to repost Charlie's rules over in the Elric section. Alternatively, you can find them by sorting through the old zipped chaosium digest. The file containing the rules is chaos-digest-v15n07.txt.

Edited by Chaot

70/420

• 3 weeks later...

Just what you see on the website. It'll be the first MW book released after the core rules. I'm guessing some time in early fall, but I really have nothing to go on aside from speculation and assumption...

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 5 months later...

I'm guessing early Spring of 2013, with any luck.

I hope so :D This product should have a broad audience since it will cater to people that play Legends, BRP, Runequest6 (or any other version) as well as Magic World. I recently picked up Runequest 6 and although it's a good product the magic section is a little light and I immediately starting looking for a way to supplement it. AS would be the perfect solution. I wonder if it has the potential to out sell Magic World since it will be a universal supplement; who knows?

Edited by spyritwind

Advanced Sorcery is certainly a priority for myself, but more as a supplement for the general BRP rules rather than MagicWorld. I always preferred RQ to Elric! as far as mechanics goes (except the Demon rules for Elric!, they were very cool). I may get MagicWorld at some stage for brand support, but Advanced Sorcery will be more of a priority for me due to its versatility

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for this to arrive. The possibility for dynamic magical spell creation alone is worth a purchase.

That said, I hope it doesn't reference Magic World so much that it's useless without the book. I kinda prefer the sound of Classic Fantasy based on what little I've read as a basis.

Edited by Link6746
Hopes

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Why does Chaosium take so long to print books? This thing was listed as a 2012 book, its half-way through 2013 almost.

Are you really asking why do they take so long to print the books I want? :P

I'd bet staff is the limit. There's probably 2 or 3 people doing all the layout, coordination and whatnot. If demand was high they would hire someone else. From the last report here's what they plan to publish this year:

Canis Mysterium -- COC Adventure
with a Madman and his Ghoul Friend

Advanced Sorcery – BRP/Magic World Sourcebook

After the Vampire Wars – An urban fantasy supplement for BRP.

Enlightened Magic -- BRP Magic Sourcebook

Magic World GM Screen -- BRP GM Aid
for Magic World

Astounding Adventures! -- BRP Sourcebook during the Pulp Era of the 1930’s

Secrets of Tibet – CoC Supplement and Adventures in Tibet

Undead & Unbound -- Horror Fiction Anthology

It's also not like printing RPG books is the highway to vast riches either, one bad printing run and you have dug a pretty deep financial hole.

(look at all the 'goodwill' that Green Ronin garnered by pushing out a variety of error filled editions of Game of Thrones.)

Fast, well-done and cheap... Pick one :)

(That being said, could you publish necromancy rules for MW tomorrow please? :P)

Are you really asking why do they take so long to print the books I want? :P

I'd bet staff is the limit. There's probably 2 or 3 people doing all the layout, coordination and whatnot. If demand was high they would hire someone else. From the last report here's what they plan to publish this year:

Canis Mysterium -- COC Adventure
with a Madman and his Ghoul Friend

Advanced Sorcery – BRP/Magic World Sourcebook

After the Vampire Wars – An urban fantasy supplement for BRP.

Enlightened Magic -- BRP Magic Sourcebook

Magic World GM Screen -- BRP GM Aid
for Magic World

Astounding Adventures! -- BRP Sourcebook during the Pulp Era of the 1930’s

Secrets of Tibet – CoC Supplement and Adventures in Tibet

Undead & Unbound -- Horror Fiction Anthology

Why does Chaosium take so long to print books? This thing was listed as a 2012 book, its half-way through 2013 almost.

No need to go invoking Bruce Hornsby on us... Or will he be appearing in the MW Monster book?:

80s Pop Musician: "Due to 'Eighties' hair is always considered to have a helmet and in combat will always score a critical on the first attack with its 'one hit wonder' technique, but will suffer cumulative %30 penalties until nobody notices his efforts anymore.

I just bought magic world. The lack of a good direct attack spell is killing me, but aside from that it's great.

I'm hoping this supplement will have a means to do direct attack spells with the deep magic system. Also, anxiously looking forwards to it, and will likely snap it up first thing as soon as it comes out.

...The lack of a good direct attack spell is killing me,...
I think Ben/Zomben just invoked that on us all with an '80s Pop Ballad Summoning...;D

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"