[BRP/Magic World] Advanced Sorcery announced!

BMonroe

I think Ben/Zomben just invoked that on us all with an '80s Pop Ballad Summoning...;D

The Way It Is

Invented by the foul audiomancer Bruce of Hornsby, this terrible spell fills the area with the sonorous droning of the clavichord. Victims of the spell fall to the ground writhing in agony.

MP Cost: 4

Range: POW in yards

Area of effect: POW in diameter

Duration: POW in rounds

Game effects: Match caster's POW vs CON of those in the area of effect. If they fail the roll, victims fall to the ground incapacitated for the duration of the spell. In addition, everybody in the area of effect is deafened and has a -40% penalty to any hearing-based perception rolls.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought magic world. The lack of a good direct attack spell is killing me, but aside from that it's great.

Glad you're having fun with it!

There's a bit of a need to think around the edges with sorcery. There's no "fireball" spell, but you can bind fire elementals and achieve the same effect. Summoning and unleashing Spirits is also a way to go. Ive seen Pain and Fear spirits used to great effect like this. Its also just insanely cool to unleash a swarm of ghosts against your opponent... ;)

Lots of the spells are more like curses, than flat out blasting spells. The various adverse "Sorcerer's..." Spells also act as something of blasting spells. Whack a guy with a couple blasts of level 4 Sorcerer's Weakness or Void, and see what happens.

Worse comes to worst, you could always make Wrack a variable spell, doing 1D4 damage per level. Even topped out at 4d4, that's still a goodly smiting,

All that being said, Deep Magic in AS will do exactly what you want. It's a fairly abstract system for creating new spells on the fly, or in the lab.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

To each their own, but I like this sort of magic system better. When mage's are nothing more than a missle platform they don't have to think; just shoot. With out direct damage spells you have to be creative and figure out how to use the spells you have to your advantage; which is much more rewarding imo.

Will the Advanced Sorcery book have more than one flavor name for Deep Magic's spheres? I'm hoping for not just sphere names, but also Ultima-Ish Rune names based on the effect and symbolism of the rune. That said this book is a guaranteed purchase, along with enlightened magic. Combining the two I'll perhaps be able to run a good BRP Modern Arcana Game.

To each their own, but I like this sort of magic system better. When mage's are nothing more than a missle platform they don't have to think; just shoot. With out direct damage spells you have to be creative and figure out how to use the spells you have to your advantage; which is much more rewarding imo.

And I humbly disagree with this point. Three reasons- 1: Weaknesses/immunities to specific damage types, if modelled, create a necessity to think before you blast. 2: I just LOVE to chain weakness to element/elemental damage spells in any game that allows such. 3: Specific elements have specific effects. You wouldn't set a zombie on fire when all it does is cause a mobile fire hazard with teeth? Likewise, freezing some things can have unwanted effects, and lightning bolts to enemies near certain objects would damage them.

One does not use a fire spell near a steampunk era zepplin. It tends to go boom.

Edited by Link6746

• 2 weeks later...

No need to go invoking Bruce Hornsby on us... Or will he be appearing in the MW Monster book?:

80s Pop Musician: "Due to 'Eighties' hair is always considered to have a helmet and in combat will always score a critical on the first attack with its 'one hit wonder' technique, but will suffer cumulative %30 penalties until nobody notices his efforts anymore.

Perhaps I will write up the 30% penalty as an offensive spell known as the Curse of the 80's Mullet? :-/

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

Any news as to when this will be available for purchase?

Hopefully by GenCon.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

GenCon? That is really excellent news!

Emphasis on "hopefully". :)

As soon as I hear more, I'll let you all know.

• 1 month later...

How's the progress going on Advanced Sorcery? Does it look like it'll be out by GenCon? :)

Unfortunately, AS will probably not be available by GenCon. I'm going to try to crank out the Chronicler's Screen by then, hopefully it all comes out. AS will hopefully be out by Christmas. I plan on getting that done as soon as I am handed the manuscript and interior art.

Nick

nick@chaosium.com

Not out by GenCon? Oh dear! Is that no product out by GenCon or no tree version out by Gencon? In terms of quality I don't want you to rush either, but Halod the huntsman from the hamlet of Hanstal south of Pennywood thinks that tomorrow would be a wonderful release date. (I'll keep him busy with some RQ3 spells).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the Vampire Wars is laid out and waiting on Enlightened Magic page references. I am also laying out Enlightened Magic for now, so they should both be released at the same time or around the same time.

Nick

nick@chaosium.com

Both of these make me excited! Between Advanced Sorcery and Enlightened Magic, which will be coming out first?

Both of these make me excited! Between Advanced Sorcery and Enlightened Magic, which will be coming out first?

Advanced Sorcery will most likely be out first. It is waiting on less art than Enlightened Magic is. Advanced Sorcery is nearly finished, its just waiting on some art. If you want an idea of what the art for Advanced Sorcery will be like, "The Green" monograph will give a bit of a hint. Scott Heiney has done a lot of the artwork.

• 3 months later...

Nick has implemented my final corrections, and is just waiting on a handful of bits of art. My guess is it'll be going to the printer this month, hopefully for release early in the year. Nick will have more info on that end.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: I've been told the book should be going to press within the week. Sadly, this means it'll miss the holidays, but should be available early in the new year.

But! As a bonus, the delay's given me the chance to pull together a new chapter, consisting of 24 more strange spells: "Fey Magic of the Southern Reaches" includes a host of powerful spells such as "Baleful Eye", "Become Werewolf", "Herolight", "Key of Shadows" and more. Many of these spells are so potent that the caster sacrifices points of POW to cast them (don't worry, the POW will return).

Now, none of this material is technically "new". This chapter is another part of my fiendish plot to get as much 'classic' BRP/RQ material updated and available again.

The bulk of this material comes from two old White Dwarf articles on "Celtic Magic" by Dave Morris. A few extra spells come from the Avalon Hill edition of RQ Vikings. All have been suitably fiddled with to make them Magic World compatible, as well as balancing out the cost/effect ratio.

I'm excited to get these in the book. Even if you're not using the Southern Reaches, they're an excellent suite of pagan-ish magic to liven up your game.

• 4 weeks later...