[BRP/Magic World] Advanced Sorcery announced!

BMonroe

I had a few last minute edits to make to the book, and that pushed it up against the wall of nick's vacation. We opted to hold sending the book to press until he was back, in case of any problems.

He's back, now, so it should be off to the printers soon. I'll post here as soon as I hear anything more.

Also! With any luck the first MW monograph, "Horsechester" should be going to the printer at about the same time. It's a neat little book set in the Southern Reaches,but easily used anywhere else.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a few last minute edits to make to the book, and that pushed it up against the wall of nick's vacation. We opted to hold sending the book to press until he was back, in case of any problems.

He's back, now, so it should be off to the printers soon. I'll post here as soon as I hear anything more.

Also! With any luck the first MW monograph, "Horsechester" should be going to the printer at about the same time. It's a neat little book set in the Southern Reaches,but easily used anywhere else.

Excellentttt. I'm sitting on pins and needles here - any new magic concepts are thrilling.

Quick update: I've been told the book should be going to press within the week. Sadly, this means it'll miss the holidays, but should be available early in the new year.

But! As a bonus, the delay's given me the chance to pull together a new chapter, consisting of 24 more strange spells: "Fey Magic of the Southern Reaches" includes a host of powerful spells such as "Baleful Eye", "Become Werewolf", "Herolight", "Key of Shadows" and more. Many of these spells are so potent that the caster sacrifices points of POW to cast them (don't worry, the POW will return).

Now, none of this material is technically "new". This chapter is another part of my fiendish plot to get as much 'classic' BRP/RQ material updated and available again.

The bulk of this material comes from two old White Dwarf articles on "Celtic Magic" by Dave Morris. A few extra spells come from the Avalon Hill edition of RQ Vikings. All have been suitably fiddled with to make them Magic World compatible, as well as balancing out the cost/effect ratio.

I'm excited to get these in the book. Even if you're not using the Southern Reaches, they're an excellent suite of pagan-ish magic to liven up your game.

Zomben,

Since there has been items added in from magazines and other sources. If you get permission will we see in future releases some of things included in the Herald of Doom fanzine? I only got the first issue but I remember demons and enchantments and sorcery spells. I think there was only one of each in the first magazine but if there was more than one issue it maybe another potential source of material (with permission of course).

141/420

Zomben,

Since there has been items added in from magazines and other sources. If you get permission will we see in future releases some of things included in the Herald of Doom fanzine? I only got the first issue but I remember demons and enchantments and sorcery spells. I think there was only one of each in the first magazine but if there was more than one issue it maybe another potential source of material (with permission of course).

Never heard of it, sorry.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Never heard of it, sorry.

Herald of Doom was an Elric! fanzine produced and edited by Malcolm Wolter, with contributions by me, Richard Watts, Mark Morrison, Carl Pates, Lynn Willis and a few others. It lasted for about 5 issues I think, and was published quarterly. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, although it is (these days) somewhat on the obscure side. It was published around 1998/99 - although my memory could be a bit faulty on that and it may have been earlier.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I spoke with Nick this afternoon, and he confirmed AS is the next Chaosium release. Shouldn't be long now!

• 3 weeks later...

Nick just told me the book's been sent to the printer. As soon as the proof comes back, they'll have it available for sale in PDF format. So, hopefully we'll have hard copy by early March.

• 2 weeks later...

FRP games is showing Advanced Sorcery as a Feb.28th release. Don't know how accurate that is as their release dates are not always accurate for various reasons. They are also showing Enlightened Magic for release on the same day. This makes me a little skeptical. Good news is there are continued signs of upcoming releases coming "soonish"!

141/420

Spoke to Nick yesterday. He said that they'd received the print proof, and he noticed a few errors on the scanning of art. So, he's correcting those, and then will send the final info over to the printer. I gather that at that time (or soon thereafter) the PDF will be up for sale as well.

Spoke to Nick yesterday. He said that they'd received the print proof, and he noticed a few errors on the scanning of art. So, he's correcting those, and then will send the final info over to the printer. I gather that at that time (or soon thereafter) the PDF will be up for sale as well.

Good! Better to have a nicer, cleaner book later.

Smiorgan

So ...

Deep Magic Mages learn to pull and re-weave the web of reality itself, rather than learning magic by rote and formula.

The Summoner’s Art expanded rules for summoning demons and elementals.

Runes are magical symbols which can be combined for intricate and devastating effects.

Necromancy whether to cheat, or enslave Death, necromancers are among the most foul magicians ever known.

Herbalism details simple and natural concoctions of herbs which can heal, harm or entrance the imbiber.

What magic rules are you most excited about?

I have high expectations for Deep Magic. I am really hoping to get similar experience like with White Wolfe's Mage.

Also. good Necromancy - I really want it to be evocative and horrific.

What magic rules are you most excited about?

Since I own The Bronze Grimoire and The Unknown East, I know what most of the systems will be like. So I'm most interested in Herbalism (which I don't remember from either) and Nick Middleton's "Arete" system.

Also, is this the book that describes how to use Allegiance for gods, cults, and religions? Or is that a later book?

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Since I own The Bronze Grimoire and The Unknown East, I know what most of the systems will be like. So I'm most interested in Herbalism (which I don't remember from either) and Nick Middleton's "Arete" system.

Also, is this the book that describes how to use Allegiance for gods, cults, and religions? Or is that a later book?

Herbalism is the "Drugs" chapter from Melnibone repurposed a bit to make it less objectionable. Arete began as the "Ki" system from Land of Ninja, but was greatly expanded by Nick. It's now a really neat system for what to do when you start getting skills up over the 100% mark.

The Allegiance stuff you mention above is in the Chronicler's Companion (which should be the next MW supplement after AS).

Herbalism is the "Drugs" chapter from Melnibone repurposed a bit to make it less objectionable. Arete began as the "Ki" system from Land of Ninja, but was greatly expanded by Nick. It's now a really neat system for what to do when you start getting skills up over the 100% mark.

Nice. How stand-alone is the book? I'm running a RQ6 game right now, and I wonder if Advanced Sorcery will make sense without having the Magic World core book to refer to.

Nice. How stand-alone is the book? I'm running a RQ6 game right now, and I wonder if Advanced Sorcery will make sense without having the Magic World core book to refer to.

You should be able to vert on the fly, I'd imagine. Little things, really. Such as how MW uses general hit points, while RQ uses hit locations. Etc.