The things that I am griping about

Joseph Paul

HQ also have it's own forum. Glorantha does not, and is a setting several will probably use for BRP, so a own "rule-less" forum for Glorantha could be justified if the activity would sustain it (I'm just not sure if it would, as Glorantha have been around for a LONG time, and no Glorantha forums are up and running).

The great Call of Cthulhu forum have several setting specific forums, and if the activity in the future rises to support more than one forum, I'll add it then. But for now, for a game which rules aren't out yet even, I think one forum will do.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one category now, but when the game comes out we might add others.

Maybe one specifically for Rules questions? Certainly another for PbP games. Possibly another to discuss optional rules? After that would depend on the traffic.

So generally I am against adding other systems to this board. I am also opposed to adding a Glorantha board. Honestly I think it would invite argument. The Glorantha I play is based on 2nd/3rd edition RuneQuest. Everything since is ignored. I have no desire to see people arguing over what the latest Gregging means or what Greg thinks about this or that.

I'm not going to boycott the board if any of the above is added, just giving my opinion. :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Guest the Bromgrev

I have no desire to see people arguing over what the latest Gregging means or what Greg thinks about this or that.

That's reason enough for me. It's probably best to wait and see what directions DBRP (still calling it that in my head) moves in before categorising the board.

There is only one category now, but when the game comes out we might add others.

Maybe one specifically for Rules questions? Certainly another for PbP games. Possibly another to discuss optional rules? After that would depend on the traffic.

So generally I am against adding other systems to this board. I am also opposed to adding a Glorantha board. Honestly I think it would invite argument. The Glorantha I play is based on 2nd/3rd edition RuneQuest. Everything since is ignored. I have no desire to see people arguing over what the latest Gregging means or what Greg thinks about this or that.

I'm not going to boycott the board if any of the above is added, just giving my opinion. :)

Dont you think, if people want to elaborate about Glorantha they could if it is placed in a seperate thread? If it is visible marked as "Glorantha thread" then noone has the obligation to read it and the Gloranthaphiles among us can exchange their opinions. I mean Glorantha (while not my thing) is one of the core settings of BRP/RQ. As is Chtulhu and Stormbringer. And to a lesser extent Ringworld, Elfquest, Superworld etc.

I think if enough interest exists there should be a place for discussion for each of the BRP settings, but it should be clearly marked to save the time of those which have no interest in it.

I'm for waiting on different forums until such time as there is a reason for them. I could see eventually creating a forum for Glorantha and/or MRQ, in terms of how such stuff could be used for/with BRP (i.e. if someone wanted to covert something like MRQ Lankhmar over to BRP).

But I don't see any reason to set up such forums at this time. Wait until we have a few legitimate BRP settings and forums first.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I can certainly just skip the Glorantha posts. Thinking about it more it might be a good idea to create a forum for Glorantha so that threads don't get posted in the general forum about it.

But I am with Atgxtg, we should probably wait until the game is actually out before we start branching into different forums.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

• 2 weeks later...

Newer RPGs often have new options and such that the designers of eariler games would have used if they had thought of it I seriously doubt we have all those neat polyhedrons to roll if Gygax and friends had ever though of using mutiple D6 the way Hero, GURPS or WEG did.

True ... but I LIKE polyhedrons!

Among other changes they spoke about heavy concentration on four focus roles of the different character classes in 4.0.:

1. front line fighters (tanks?),

2. damage dealers (mages and the new warlock class)

3. Healers (clerics, druids) and

4. hybrids (paladins etc)

In some ways I wish they'd do just that. Have a core and stick to it.

It's the constant accretions to D&D that turn me off.

Now, I think from what I've seen that the new BRP will support layers from detailed combat to simple and/or simplistic. Talk to Jason, the sidebars/optional rules and so on will allow you have your own modular house ruleset and yet stay within the BRP canon and use anything from the past or future.

In some ways I wish they'd do just that. Have a core and stick to it.

It's the constant accretions to D&D that turn me off.

I'm still regularly playing and running D&D 3.0, Arcana Unearthed/Evolved and Stargate d20 in my two game groups and moderately enjoying it precisely because whilst we've added LOTS of setting variation from published material, core rules-wise we haven't added much beyond the original core 3.0 books...

Now, I think from what I've seen that the new BRP will support layers from detailed combat to simple and/or simplistic.

Indeed. Assuming the published version is close to the playtest draft we saw, one could run a game with BRP that from a rules point of view resembled the original BRP pamphlet. Alternatively, pick the right options, and you could have something that is nearly indistinguishable from RQIII, but has X-Men level powered Super-hero's...

Talk to Jason, the sidebars/optional rules and so on will allow you have your own modular house ruleset and yet stay within the BRP canon and use anything from the past or future.

My immediate plans for BRP are to re-work my (currently on hiatus) "After the scouring..." post-apocalypse England RQIII setting in to a BRP form, plus further work on the "Gate Warden" SF setting I used during the playtest, and a few fantasy settings(Gwenthia, what I used to call "fantasy Mars" and a Fantasy/Horror hybrid called "the Last Refuge"). How far I'll get with any of course is another matter (fewer 9.45pm nights at work would probably help...).

Personally, I don't see huge need to revise BRP, as I'm very happy with the synthesis and development of prior work Jason has achieved - but once the core book is published, it wouldn't be a tabletop RPG if people didn't start house ruling and changing it.

As for forums here - can't really comment fully as I don't get here enough at present. Given the title of the site, I don't think a HeroQuest section makes sense:its different game and has support; what nest, a GURPS or d20 forum? Once the BRP book is out, adapting to the interests of subscribers as to which settings they use and discuss makes sense - I'm not personally convinced that many will use BRP with Glorantha (if they are that keen on the old way they have RQIII, otherwise they have MRQ which has it's own forums, which is also where discussion of new MRQ Glorantha material will tend to gravitate), but if it IS a setting people use with BRP don't see it being a problem.

Cheers,

NDM

I don't know why Stafford doesn't write anything for MRQ, or why Perrin left the playtest. But neither had a hand in design of the game as originally advertised.

I know this is from a few pages back, but as I've just joined, I'm trying to catch up.

Greg is busy on other things. He's just finished the 'Great Pendragon Campaign' (seen the size of it?) and is now working on the next Pendragon supplement. He's also gearing up for the 'Great Argrath Campaign' for HQ.

So the reason he doesn't write anything for MRQ is lack of time, but I correspond with him a lot on the Glorantha books I have on my production schedule for Mongoose. He's been heavily involved in developing ideas for 'Dara Happa Stirs', and he's very keen to be involved whenever he has the time to spare.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Personally, I'd be happy if he finished the Argrath Campaign.

There are a lot of other writers who can write form mongoose or Issaries. Not everything has to be by Greg Stafford, even in Glorantha.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here