So, Who's Got the Biggest One?

soltakss

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh, that's right is was the later 1981 version that came in the boxed set, and the 1979 version was just a booklet as well.

I stick kicking myself for:

1) Not buying the hardcover version when I had the chance (at Waldenbooks)

2) Losing out on the autction for Steve PErrin's copy with the RQ3 notes in the margins.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

i plaid dunjins an dragns moar then evry1. w00t! ph34r my l33t skillz. I m an RPG h4x0r.

Srelusly. I plaid 2nd edison DND.

I M AWSUM!!!!!!11!!1one

Yeah. I'm a young kid compared to you heavy hitters. But, I would argue that my taste in games is eclectic compared to others my age. You will see not a single d20 supplement or core book of any sort on my shelf. That says enough.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

I thought that was a requirement for playing that game? ;)

Requirement? No....

But if your brain is on, you get a -4 THIS IS NOT AN RPG penalty to every combat action, skill check and saving throw.

Which is no big. If you die as a result you can just get resurrected. I don't know why you'd WANT to...

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing AD&D 1984. Boy, did that suck. Not from the beginning of course, because we never knew anything different. But: from the day Call of Cthulhu RPG came into my life, nothing and I mean NOTHING has been the same.

So whatever people played or plays, lets agree on the big motha':

BRP is king! (or Emperor more like).

Erik Brickman.

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

• 2 years later...

Yeah I started in 1985 with Star Frontiers and ADnD more or less simultaneously. Followed that up with Mechwarrior (to supplement my edition of Citytech, I didn't get Battletech until 2 yrs later!). Then in about '88 I fell into Robotech hard, and other Palladium games and Warhammer Fantasy and more ADnD (only this time it was Oriental Adventures and Forgotten Realms). No dipping sauce will ever taste as good as that which came from the snack bar with fried mozzarella sticks at the rec center on Minot AFB in North Dakota where probably a solide weeks worth of hours of my life were spent playing WFRP, mincing about as a Ninja-Bushi or playing Revised Recon. My penultimate Rifts campaign which involved remnants of the RDF and Army of the Southern Cross commandeering the last submersible aircraft carrier and being launched into a dimensional rift at the moment of the Invid Invasion and reappearing off of the Gulf Coast of Rifts Earth. in '87 I got into D6 Star Wars. Then in 89-90-91 it was all Pendragon, Stormbringer!, Call of Cthulhu and some guy tried to get me into Rolemaster but succeeded in exposing me to MERP and some card game called "Illuminati." Then in '93 I joined the Navy and found myself in Monterey California with nothing to do but study a foreign language all day and hang out with other geeks in my off-time for about a year and a half. More Pendragon and everything else but mostly White Wolf nonsense. I started doing live action (embarrassed), but really the goal was all the trashy goth girls and ... mission accomplished, though only being 18 at the time I had no idea what low-hanging fruit I had been aiming for. And then Twilight 2000. I think it's required that if you are a military linguist that you play Twilight 2k and argue with the GM about how much of a bonus towards speaking Russian you should get for your character being an ethnic Pole from Chicago. Ended up going GURPS in a big way for several years, though really using GURPS was just a way to make EVERYTHING a Call of Cthulhu game. Then came Harn. Mostly since the early-mid 90's I've been constantly returning to CoC and BRP flavored things.

Okay. I LOVE their Robin Hood supplement.

So do I, it is one of the best supplements I have ever seen. We once used its

excellent background informations for a kind of "Cadfael Campaign", located

on the Severn River during the Anarchy. ;D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Yeah I started in 1985 with Star Frontiers and ADnD more or less simultaneously ...

It seems we had somewhat similar "roleplaying careers", with the main differences being

that Traveller was my main rival for BRP games, and that I never went after those goth

girls ... ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Guest Vile Traveller

Ah, nothing like an old thread to blow the cobwebs away! I don't think I've tried too many different systems, on account of having discovered RuneQuest at an early age. Played lots of tabletop skirmish games like Battletech and Richthoven's War along the way, but my roleplaying experience is fairly narrow, I think:

Lessee, I started with Basic/Expert (Moldvay/Cook) D&D, and i thought it was awesome. Levels took some getting used to, and I could never quite get into the idea of wearing more armour making you more difficult to hit. But, hey, check out those funny-sided dice! Then I read a magazine (with paper pages and ink) which talked about Traveller - cool, I would be able to play Star Wars! Unfortunately it wasn't in stock when I made the pilgrimage to the friendly not-so-local games store with my year's savings, so I bought RuneQuest II instead, little knowing what cruel twists fate had in store for me. What was this? No levels, people actually got better at specific skills they trained and practiced in? Armour absorbed damage? Gold pieces were actually rare? Well, that was me hooked. I did buy Traveller a year later, and converted it to RQ after trying the system once. -5 to hit in an enclosed space? What's that all about? And bell curves are just too hard to figure out on the fly - give me a straight percentage any day.

After that, I tended to look at all games systems and settings in terms of "can I convert this to RQ?" AD&D 1st Edition never got a look in, the books were just such a mess of incoherent and bolted-together systems and rules (I still think B/X was much more user friendly), and AD&D 2nd Edition completely passed me by. Hmmm, I.C.E.? I was forced to play a Rolemaster Middle Earth game for a bit, which was quite painful. The pain was somewhat lessened by having just come out of a Tekumel game - I never found out whether the system was official or just some weird and overly complex concoction of the games master. To cleanse my soul I went straight back to RQ, and eventually gave in and admitted that the 3rd Edition was quite good, actually. After a brief flirtation with Delta Force during a frenzied search for gun combat realism, it was back to RQ with one or two new tweaks. Then someone who was very keen on GURPS (2nd edition, just turning into 3rd) was kind enough to do a lot of games mastering, so I played that for a while - but it never seemed to "flow" for me. Eventually he was also converted to RQ.

Then, many moons later, D&D 3.0 came along, with shiny full-colour hardback books, and we were seduced. Smash the door, kill the monster, grab the loot, stab your party members in the back! Oh, what fun, we were young again! Along comes D&D 3.5 - what the hell, we only just bought these books, no way we're tossing them and buying new ones already. Back to RuneQuest.

And now they call it BRP, eh?

So do I, it is one of the best supplements I have ever seen. We once used its

excellent background informations for a kind of "Cadfael Campaign", located

on the Severn River during the Anarchy. ;D

It's also sort of odd in that is might be the only one of the RolemasterHERO multi-system supplements that stresses HERO system rather than Rolemaster.

Personnally, my first gaming sessions were around 1985 with a french RPG called "MEGA" (a game in which you played "dimension walkers agents", with percentile skills and a clumsy combat system). My father was the Game Master, which means I was one of the very few 2nd generation roleplayers of that time...

My first RPG was the "Mentzer" red box D&D, quickly followed by AD&D : the red box was a gift for my birthday in July 1986, and I bought both PHB and DMG in august : MM was not available in french at that time, and was delayed so many times that I finally bought it in english...

My first interest in BRP came from an article in french magazine Casus Belli about StormBringer and Call of Cthulhu and StormBringer scenarios. I bought StormBringer. I was quite impressed by the class-less system, but I was disappointed by the lack of dwarves, elves and spells : I was still a 12 years old kid...

I found all those "lacking" elements in RQ3 in 1988 (for my 13th birthday), but didn't really catch Glorantha : I was too young to understand supplements like "Gods of Glorantha" and "Glorantha:Crucible of the Hero Wars"...

When I left a Japanese engineering firm I was called in by the (Japanese) Engineering Manager and was expecting a big old guilt trip as pretty much everyone joined and stayed until retirement. I quite liked the old chap and wasn't looking forward to the disappointment, so imagine my surprise when he congratulated me for leaving and "avoiding the error of the old craftsman who claims 30 years experience when he has in fact had 1 year 30 times"

Or maybe i'm just jealous coz I started playing in 1987 and haven't even heard of a lot of the games peeps are listing!

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

My first interest in BRP came from an article in french magazine Casus Belli about StormBringer and Call of Cthulhu and StormBringer scenarios. I bought StormBringer. I was quite impressed by the class-less system, but I was disappointed by the lack of dwarves, elves and spells : I was still a 12 years old kid...

Whaddayamean lack of spells? Plenty of spells in Stormbringer. Rituals, anyhow.

Whaddayamean lack of spells? Plenty of spells in Stormbringer. Rituals, anyhow.

I Strombringer I-IV the only spells in the game were summoning spells.

With Elric! they added the spells to it-very much like RQ battle magic.

Personally I think I prefer SBI to Elric!, although SB did have some major flaws. Because demon items were so powerful, it led to a form of escalation, where everybody who was supposed to be a threat had to have demon gear. Very much like what happened with ICE's Middle Earth line.

I Strombringer I-IV the only spells in the game were summoning spells.

Summoning and binding, iirc. Still spells, and pretty open ended for effect. I only played SB, and I do know what you mean about escalation, although not with MERP.

Edited by b8amack