Another Magic World interview...

BMonroe

The below is a mild rant, please take with a grain of salt.

I've read both interviews and am pleased that this is being done, but I have severe reservations. I run a campaign originally based on AD&D that was updated over the years, i love the BRP System and happily jumped ship when it became available. Sadly, Chaosium has shown little actual support for it. There are many fan/semi-pro products that I have bought and been very pleased with. Classic Fantasy and BRP Witchcraft are my fave two to date. I have bought a few of the products produced by Chaosium itself and have been greatly disappointed. The Magic book was barely edited as far as I can tell for integration and instead of adding to the two magic systems already in place was a poorly reworked system that did not work well in previous versions of RQ.

We now have 'Magic World' coming out. The basic 'Magic World' book from Worlds of Wonder was embraced and quite popular in Europe and was a core system used by many loyal fans. It was not supported by any supplements but retained popularity, to my understanding up to and even after the BRP system was released a few years ago. Now we hear of a new 'Magic World' book. However, instead of taking and updating the high fantasy style of the original book by this name, we are getting a reworking, mainly cut and paste. of Elric magic and RQIII system rules.

I own both Elric and the Bronze Grimoire. I've integrated spells from both into my game world.Sadly, BRP/Elric Sorcery does not permit high or even medium Fantasy style magic. There are no spells that allow for much in direct magical assault. A 'Sorcerer' is mostly dependent on a weapon still, with perhaps a spell to increase damage slightly. The few direct target spells are single target spells and do not allow for much if any direct magical damage. RQIII had a few spells, notably the Battle Magic spells such as Disruption that gave the feeling of a Sorcerer, instead of a warrior that knew a few tricks. If some of the RQ Battle magic spells were ported over, it might allow a greater sense that you were playing a 'Sorcerer', but my own feelings are that if you want a Fantasy world, you need a selection of spells so that a player can feel more like a spell caster.

If you want to play a low-magic Fantasy campaign this may be perfect. The Chaosium promo says " The rules of MAGIC WORLD are simple to grasp, while having enough options and complexity to suit any gaming style... Any sort of fantasy character you can imagine, you can play." Based off the interviews and comments on what is being used as source material, I have grave doubts that a pure Sorcerer will be a very viable option. I would really like to see new material from Chaosium instead of yet another semi-updated reprint of prior supplements.

As a final note, the ability to resurrect players is a problem I've noted in BRP core books. The ability to bring back those who have died is a staple of Fantasy RPG's. It should not be easy perhaps, but a system does need to exist for it.

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

You have a somewhat unusual definition of "high fantasy", because high fantasy normally

has nothing to do with the power of magic in the setting. To quote Wikipedia:

High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.

For example, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a textbook example of high fantasy, and even

the most powerful mage of this setting - Gandalf - has only comparatively low power ma-

gic, and is certainly not able to resurrect someone.

That nit picked, I see where you are coming from. While I prefer low power magic myself,

I agree that a supplement with more powerful spells would be a nice addition to the BRP

material.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

While google will show that I'm made the same nitpick, I actually think that the academic distinction between low and high fantasy is less than useful and I prefer the usage of Greymagius.

As to the point of the rant, a couple things.

I too love Classic Fantasy and BRP Witchcraft. Both are great books and their magic systems can easily be integrated into Elric! and (I assume) Magic World.

I don't have the Magic Book so I won't say anything towards that.

I often feel that Elric sorcery should be explained like this. There are four spells; Summon Demon, Summon Elemental, Brazier of Power, and Chain of Being. Oh yeah, there are a few utility spells as well. The real power in Elric comes along with pacts and bindings, and this is made even more so with the additional tweaks that came with Corum.

Point the second. The high fantasy aspect that comes along with Elric is not just due to the magic system. Elric characters, and correspondingly Magic World characters, come out of the gate uber-skilled. When I've needed to explain in the past I've said that beginning Elric character competence is roughly equivalent to lvl 5 thru lvl 7 AD&D characters.

So, yes, I see where you're coming from, though I don't think I'm in agreement, quite.

70/420

Have you seen/used the Unknown East supplement for Elric! Did you ever see Charlie Seljos's houserules for Unknown East?

There is going to be an Advanced Sorcery book (amongst other supplements) for Magic World that uses rules from Unknown East, and coupled with Charlie's house rules, I think you will find quite a few spells that deal direct damage to opponents and can be used as an area attack.

Chaosium.com: News - BRP Advanced Sorcery

http://basicroleplaying.com/stormbringer/charlie-seljos-house-rules-unknown-east-magic-2858/

Ian

I'm interested to know which of any fantasy (low, medium or high) material allows for resurrection of characters. It might be a 'staple of Fantasy RPGs' but it isn't a staple of Fantasy per se. The only raising of the dead I normally read about involves necromancy and the undead.

To be honest if you want a magic using character who is a multiple enemy killing machine then perhaps BRP is not the best choice of RPG.

Nigel

Whether you agree with my preferred definition of 'High Fantasy' or not, it seems that everyone posting understands what I meant at least. That being said, I'd like to expand and perhaps reply to some of the replies to my post, as well as ask for some clarification as well. I think my core problem is that I want a small handful of books with a unified system that any player could acquire and reference. The fewer books used, the easier it is it seems to me. One reason I like the possibilities of 'Magic World' is it will update and consolidate things a bit. Any player could get the book and have the same resources as the GM and other players. A few folks have suggested using other supplements or house rules from some ones campaign. I have and do such sometimes, but would hope to avoid using any more books than necessary. That is why i would like to see 'Magic World' come as complete as possible.

Rust: The 'Magic' system in BRP is quite powerful I think. I would wish for more spell variety and in truth 'Classic fantasy' provides quite a few spells that can be added easily. I think that there is a supplement called 'The Grimoire' out in the near future that will add quite a few new 'Magic' and 'Sorcery' spells. I hope it will prove to be useful.

nclarke: Resurrection and return of dead characters is not as common in novels, but does happen. That's why I made specific referent to fanatasy *Role-Playing games* as opposed to fantasy in general. I have no desire to try putting together list of novels for comparison. If you wish to disagree, feel free. As for BRP not being suited for killing multiple enemies, I think that the 'Magic' system is quite well suited for it and I've seen it put to good use just for that purpose. The 'Fire' spell can be quite effective...

Vagabond: I apologize if this sounds rude, it is not intended to be. I appreciate feedback and thoughts, which is why I posted in the first place. In regards to Unknown East supplement, I glanced at it once briefly but do not own it. To be honest, I really don't want yet another, different magic system. It sounds like that's what the eastern magic would be. I'd have liked to see integration of RQ style Spirit Magic perhaps as a 'Sorcery' spell. I may well buy the Advanced Sorcery supplement, but I would prefer more 'Sorcery' spells not another system.

Chaot: First.. I love your explanation of Elric's magic! Yes, it did feel like that if you wanted to do anything big, you were having to summon something to do it. Considering that most Sorcery spells last for POW in Combat rounds, that means that a beginning sorcerer will have most spells last a bit over three minutes. that makes a lot of the 'utility' spells rather pointless. Skill wise, I agree that BRP characters start much more skilled. It is the ability to be competent in a variety of areas that made me love BRP. I just wish that would be Sorcerers/Mages felt as talented in spell ability. Now, I DO have a question. Did I understand you to suggest that there are Elric Sorcery spells that will allow you to kill multiple targets at once? It might be possible with 'Guide Earth' from the Bronze Grimoire to crush several targets, but since the earth moves at a MOV 8 and most people can walk at a rate of MOV 10 It would be difficult to really kill someone with this spell. If there are spells in either Elric, the Bronze Grimoire of the BRP 'Sorcery section that allow direct damage, I seem to have missed them. I've found several that will possibly hold someone immobile but none that were direct damage. Any that might do damage directly seemed to be something that you could literally walk away from. Thanks for any ideas and information in advance.

Thanks to all who replied. I was hoping to get more information on what 'Magic World' will be. I don't think it will be all that i would wish for, but it will be worthwhile.

Vagabond: I apologize if this sounds rude, it is not intended to be. I appreciate feedback and thoughts, which is why I posted in the first place. In regards to Unknown East supplement, I glanced at it once briefly but do not own it. To be honest, I really don't want yet another, different magic system. It sounds like that's what the eastern magic would be. I'd have liked to see integration of RQ style Spirit Magic perhaps as a 'Sorcery' spell. I may well buy the Advanced Sorcery supplement, but I would prefer more 'Sorcery' spells not another system.

No offense taken.

Advanced Sorcery includes more Sorcery spells, the Unknown East sorcery system, rune magic, necromancy, and herbalism.

You can apply Charlie Seljos' house rules to any spell - and some in the Magic World core book would seem to apply very well to using them against multiple targets (as long as the caster has enough MP).

I also believe it doesn't take much to mke some of the spells that have a range of Touch, and make them Sight instead, perhaps at a larger MP cost. I may have some other houserules/optional rules laying around somewhere, or modifying the aforementioned Seljos rules to apply. Ben is working on a Companion and has asked the dev team about their houserules and options that can be included in a section of the Companion. I may massage Charlie's rules some, and add info about using Sight as a range of effect to spells for an additional cost, and hand them over to Ben and the team for review and possible inclusion.

Ian

I think so too, but the poster's comments make more sense if you put 'D&D' in many sentences.

e.g. "There are no spells" unlike D&D "that allow for much in direct magical assault."

"you need a selection of spells so that a player can feel more like a" D&D " spell caster."

"gave the feeling of a" D&D "Sorcerer, instead of a warrior that knew a few tricks."

"the ability to resurrect players" like in D&D "is a problem I've noted in BRP core books. "

"The ability to bring back those who have died is a staple of Fantasy RPG's" like D&D.

See what I mean. If he wants a game like D&D then BRP may not be for him despite what he's saying.

Nigel

I think so too, but the poster's comments make more sense if you put 'D&D' in many sentences.

e.g. "There are no spells" unlike D&D "that allow for much in direct magical assault."

"you need a selection of spells so that a player can feel more like a" D&D " spell caster."

"gave the feeling of a" D&D "Sorcerer, instead of a warrior that knew a few tricks."

"the ability to resurrect players" like in D&D "is a problem I've noted in BRP core books. "

"The ability to bring back those who have died is a staple of Fantasy RPG's" like D&D.

See what I mean. If he wants a game like D&D then BRP may not be for him despite what he's saying.

While that may be true to some degree, D&D was not the only game that had offensive/attack spells that directly affected single/groups of targets. And, while I understand (and actually know exactly) why Ben used the Elric! rules for the vast majority of Magic World, it is intended to be a bit more than Elric! with the Moorcockian flavor removed. Which is why Ben included some of the RQIII stuff as well. There is no need to capture the feel of RQI and RQII since there are systems that already do that, and there is no need to capture the exact feel of a D&D-esque RQ either since there is a BRP book that does that as well. However, there is also no need to limit Magic World to the core book that is being released, which is why Ben has assembled a team of people to assist in taking the core and enhancing it further. I have a few of writing assignments for the Companion (Mass Battle rules, Community Ties, Character Backgrounds and possibly Domain Management), as well as some Houserules to provide for the Houserules section should that also become a production item.

Ian

Considering that most Sorcery spells last for POW in Combat rounds, that means that a beginning sorcerer will have most spells last a bit over three minutes. that makes a lot of the 'utility' spells rather pointless.

Three minutes is a long time in combat mode. Sixteen rounds is a hard slog. Things like Rat Vision, Moonlight and Moonrise can be extended for a while because the cost so little. If I don't mind wearing myself out and I'm a sorcerer with a 16 POW I could ride the rat or keep my glow globe going for about 48 min and be left with 1 mp. Some spells have a different duration built in (Make Whole, for example, is 1d6 hours). But yeah, I agree that these aren't flashy or that impressive. They are just the tiny little bends in reality a sorcerer picks up here and there.

Unfortunately, I think Elric! as written greatly favors bindings into weapons and armor. It's 1 mp for the original spell, 8 to set the attributes, 1 POW to set the binding and however many points left over to determine damage or protection respectively. So, a sorcerer with POW 17 is going to be able to augment their armor by 1d10+1d4. This is better than any return they would get binding a demon.

Say said sorcerer wants to go all in. She gets Brazier of Power for a POW of 16 and 16 stored away. Now she summons a greater demon (1mp for original spell and 9 mp to set the attributes), 1 POW to set the binding and has 21 mp left to spend (leaving 1 mp in reserve so she doesn't pass out). I think that's 4d10+1d2 to weapon or armor. At this point, she'll probably want to cut back on the shear damage and give the weapon an ability or two. Of course, she won't be able to cast spells anymore until she raises her POW back to 16 and she still has to beat the demon on a POW:POW. Still, she can't complain about not being effective in combat.

The sorcerer who summons for specific tasks needs the time to put together the demon with the right abilities. There are only so many magic points to go around, so the sorcerer has to make some hard choices when determining what they want. The nice part about negotiation is that it doesn't cost POW points. Unfortunately, it's also something that takes a great deal of time, so you won't often see a sorcerer call up a demon in the midst of combat unless that demon is already bound and you're unlikely to see a bound demon outside of being bound to a weapon or armor.

Corum loosens this up a bit which is why I wish the rules had made it in. The summoning spell (usually 6mp) gives you as it's base 3d8 in all demon stats, a skill at 50%, and two skills at 30%. Things then follow as normal to Elric! except that once a demon has been summoned, a pact has been formed. The sorcerer can summon that demon again at the cost of 1 mp and whatever the pact price the summoner entered into with the demon.

With these rules it makes an incredible amount of sense for the sorcerer to build up a retinue of pacted demons. Also, the sorcerer changes from a combat monster to an incredibly terrifying figure.

got a little carried away there....

Now, I DO have a question. Did I understand you to suggest that there are Elric Sorcery spells that will allow you to kill multiple targets at once? It might be possible with 'Guide Earth' from the Bronze Grimoire to crush several targets, but since the earth moves at a MOV 8 and most people can walk at a rate of MOV 10 It would be difficult to really kill someone with this spell. If there are spells in either Elric, the Bronze Grimoire of the BRP 'Sorcery section that allow direct damage, I seem to have missed them. I've found several that will possibly hold someone immobile but none that were direct damage. Any that might do damage directly seemed to be something that you could literally walk away from. Thanks for any ideas and information in advance.

No, sorry if I seemed to say that. I don't know of any spells off the top of my head that does that. I could see an argument for writing up a list of 'greater sorcery' spells that cost in the 5-8mp range that could do things like this, maybe.

Rust: The 'Magic' system in BRP is quite powerful I think. I would wish for more spell variety and in truth 'Classic fantasy' provides quite a few spells that can be added easily. I think that there is a supplement called 'The Grimoire' out in the near future that will add quite a few new 'Magic' and 'Sorcery' spells. I hope it will prove to be useful.

Classic Fantasy did a great job expanding the magic system and I plan on using it side by side with sorcery. I don't have nearly as much experience with 'magic' as I do with 'sorcery' but it seems to me that because magic is skill based you'll see magicians concentrating on doing a few number of spells very well. I need to take a look at the rules again, but I think my approach to making a magician would be to concentrate on an offensive spell, a defensive spell and a gimmick spell or two to ensure I was an effective caster.

Again, I need to review the rules. Still, I see no reason to allow magic and sorcery to live side by side in a game world. They provide a very different feel to magic. I know one of your misgivings is that it's not inclusive in the Magic World series of books, but that is really what the BGB is there to address.

nclarke: Resurrection and return of dead characters is not as common in novels, but does happen. That's why I made specific referent to fanatasy *Role-Playing games* as opposed to fantasy in general. I have no desire to try putting together list of novels for comparison. If you wish to disagree, feel free. As for BRP not being suited for killing multiple enemies, I think that the 'Magic' system is quite well suited for it and I've seen it put to good use just for that purpose. The 'Fire' spell can be quite effective...

Resurrection, 4 POW, 9 mp

This is a two part ritual. The first part entails a summoning an temporary binding of the deceased's soul. The sorcerer spends 1 mp to reach out through the Spheres, enticing the soul of the departed to return. A further sacrifice of 1 POW opens the way for the journey of the soul. The sorcerer must make a Luck roll for the ritual to be a success.

Once the soul has been returned and temporarily bound, the sorcerer directs the soul the departed's body, expending 8 mp and 3 POW points to rejoin body and soul. The sorcerer must make a Luck roll for this part of the ritual to be successful.

Should all go well, the deceased is now a living, functioning being again with only perhaps a mild desire to consume human flesh... but these things happen.

70/420

Thanks to all who have taken time to reply.

nclarke: My game world was originally based on D&D but has been ported into numerous other systems over the years including RQIII and Gurps. I cut my FRPG eye-teeth actually on RQII and the battle magic allowed for a rather good feel for a 'spell-slinger' type character. One thing I've heard that sounds promising about MW is that, unlike Elric, it will have mechanics for allowing a spell caster to use spirits to 'hold' extra spells. Hopefully something similar to the BRP 'Magic' system's familiars and 'Wizards staff' will make it over as well. It seems that you much prefer a more low end magic level where as I prefer more high end. *chuckles* as you might guess from my chosen nom du Net, i prefer 'mage' type charcters :)

Vagabond: I'm very curious now... you mention some RQ materials being used. Could i dare hope thta some of the RQ battle magic made the port over to 'Sorcery'? I'll also say that Mass Combat rules are something I would be very happy to see as well. I understand the use of Sorcery for the system. I just hope for a wider variety of spells. I'm hoping that the 'Runes' make it over since they were quite clever i think and rather interesting in variety of effects.

Chaot: Thanks again for your reply. In truth, I'm not as conversant as I'd wish with the binding rules in Elric. Looks like i may need to correct that. We all tend to have our ideas colored by previous experiences in a particular system. I have literally seen a 'Stormbringer' campaign where people were binding demons into chamber pots to wipe their nether regions. In the longest running campaign of 'Elric' I played, we ended up on the opposite situation. We were kept always on the move and the GM seemed to want to make certain that you never had the chance to bind a demon or two into service. A world setting where bound demons/elementals/angels are the default mode of magic is interesting actually. It does however require the players and GM to be willing to take time before and after game. Luckily there are limits to how many demons can be bound by one person. I think I'll need to research 'binding' a bit more and see if it might be a back door to getting more of the feel I want.

In regards to using both 'Magic' and 'Sorcery', my Game setting actually tried to use 'Magic' and 'Sorcery' both. "Magic' for wizards and 'Sorcery' for priest. For my players at least, most 'Magic' users trnded to try to master a defensive and an offensive spell and be passing competent at a wide assortment of others. The Priest used Sorcery and were maybe not as flashy but their spells always worked and a priest would usually set up 'Brazier of Power' on a church alter. A wizard might have portability but the priest often had a greater depth of power to draw from.

*Laughs!* OK, Is the resurrection spell in one of the books or is this a house rule created version. It looks rather nice actually. I had used a variation on it that was a bit less heavy on POW loss, but as I've stated before, I normally try to avoid 'house rules', preferring a published agreed upon version so anyone with the basic book(s) can review at their convenience. What you have presented though is quite usable and seems to fit the feel of Sorcery in BRP/Elric.

Again, my thanks to all for your insight and thoughts. Per my reading MW is due out this 'summer' though the definition of summer seems to somehow be at some point between Gencon in August and Christmas. I hope it is sooner, but having waited almost 25 years for the deluxe BRP, I guess a few extra months won't kill me.

Vagabond: I'm very curious now... you mention some RQ materials being used. Could i dare hope thta some of the RQ battle magic made the port over to 'Sorcery'? I'll also say that Mass Combat rules are something I would be very happy to see as well. I understand the use of Sorcery for the system. I just hope for a wider variety of spells. I'm hoping that the 'Runes' make it over since they were quite clever i think and rather interesting in variety of effects.

No, the Battle/Spirit Magic stuff was in the Magic Book, and will not be in Magic World.

Runes will be in the "Advanced Sorcery" supplement, along with a bunch of extra Sorcery spells, the Demon creation rules, Deep Magic (AKA: "Eastern Magic"), Herbalism, etc.

Also, I have to ask forgiveness if I don't reply to these threads often. For some reason, despite my subscribing to it, I'm not getting notifications of further discussion. I'll try and fix that again, and see if it does anything.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I have literally seen a 'Stormbringer' campaign where people were binding demons into chamber pots to wipe their nether regions. In the longest running campaign of 'Elric' I played, we ended up on the opposite situation. We were kept always on the move and the GM seemed to want to make certain that you never had the chance to bind a demon or two into service.

Back in the old days of Stormbringer when summoning was a skill there was a fellow sorcerer who pioneered the 'demon doorstop.' Basically tiny mounds of demon flesh. Very versatile. You could use them to hold open doors AND as a paper weight! No way was he going to try a serious summoning until he got his skill up a bit.

I actually tend to keep the Summon Demon spell pretty rare, as it's a bit of a game changer when in play. I do run games with summoners, but tend to keep those PC characters separate from the non summoner PC characters. Sometimes it's fun to walk around with a nuke in your back pocket, sometimes it's nice to be in the dirt with the rest of the rabble.

In regards to using both 'Magic' and 'Sorcery', my Game setting actually tried to use 'Magic' and 'Sorcery' both. "Magic' for wizards and 'Sorcery' for priest. For my players at least, most 'Magic' users trnded to try to master a defensive and an offensive spell and be passing competent at a wide assortment of others. The Priest used Sorcery and were maybe not as flashy but their spells always worked and a priest would usually set up 'Brazier of Power' on a church alter. A wizard might have portability but the priest often had a greater depth of power to draw from.

I think this is an excellent approach and sounds about like I think it would shake out. I plan on using both Magic and Sorcery in my next game, which is shaping up to be BRP Ravenloft. Sorcery will be for those who's powers come from more infernal sources and Magic will be the preview of the more academic wizard. I have to iron out the details on this yet, but I'm going to let characters dabble in both if they want. It should be interesting to see how it shakes out in extended play. I mean, using this knowledge comes with a price in Ravenloft.

Another thing. This reminds me. I plan on using spell reagents as a minor boost to the wizard's cast skill. I need to hammer out those rules.

*Laughs!* OK, Is the resurrection spell in one of the books or is this a house rule created version. It looks rather nice actually. I had used a variation on it that was a bit less heavy on POW loss, but as I've stated before, I normally try to avoid 'house rules', preferring a published agreed upon version so anyone with the basic book(s) can review at their convenience. What you have presented though is quite usable and seems to fit the feel of Sorcery in BRP/Elric.

Official's overrated! It's not in a book but if it makes you feel better there is method to the madness. In the Bronze Grimoire there's a Spirit Vessel spell that's kind of like creating a phylactery, and Lure Spirit, which calls out to use a random spirit as an attack dog. Lure Spirit costs 10mp and 1 POW and Spirit Vessel costs 1d8mp and 3 POW. I mashed them. Having it cost 4 POW is also a convenient way of making it available but incredibly unlikely to be used. :) If you wanted it to be a more common thing, drop it down to 1 POW and add some circumstantial restrictions/prerequisites.

70/420

Chaot Again my thanks for you input. I suspect that i would find your games a pleasure to partake of. In honesty my game world is a mess of a bit of everything. I use Magic, Sorcery, Psi and Mutations. To be honest, it tends to be what most people would consider far to over powered. My game style/approach though has always been that my players are the EPIC heroes that truly change the world. Such high powered play does not appeal to many but my players and I enjoy. My style is more Valdemar (per Mercedes Lackey) than Middle-Earth, with a very healthy dose of Anime. Although I run high powered campaigns, I also enjoy lower powered as well. For me, the challenge is to find clever ways to do things.

I admit that the 'Resurrection' looked to have familiar elements. I had looked at the Lure Spirit but had not quite figured out how to get it to the next stage for resurrection. It is quite clever and looks viable as a way to bring some one back. My own in house version was 10 mp to cast 1 permanent POW from caster and 1 permanent POW from person being resurrected, with a Luck roll on the resurrected's part after loss of POW. a 12 hour ritual casting made it a not on the fly process.

Zomben; It's all good. I don't receive notifications either. I am curious now though. If I understood correctly, Magic World would have all the Sorcery spells from Elric and the Bronze Grimoire plus a few additions such as the Lure Spirit spell mentioned elsewhere. I'm curious what the 'Extra' Sorcery spells in 'Advanced Sorcery' will be. Also, I've seen a few samples of magic items. Will there be rules for creating such or is that a 'lost art'? also, there is mention of binding spirits to ask as addition INT for 'holding' spells. Is there the possibility of something like familiars and Wizards Staves as per BGB's 'Magic'?

As always, thanks for everyone. I may not always agree :) but I always try to listen and give consideration.

This seems to be the common way for using both.

I wonder if anyone has tried to use both systems as part of an inclusive magic rules set for spell casters. Something like Sorcery becoming the "Rituals" part while the Magic becoming the flashy-utility ones (not every spell on Magic is a flashy one, some of them are just amazing and pretty versatile I love Wall and Seal).

In my game setting magic spells like Summon Elemental are handled like a ritual during the lapse in which the Mage is learning it. I want to expand this way to handle magic with Sorcery (i.e. the Summoning’s spells) becoming the rules system for Ritual magic.

(Nonetheless it does leaves a gap as to which system to use for Divine Magic)

BTW I love some of the sorcery spells included in GORE (Simulacrum and Clone are pretty cool!)

I wonder if anyone has tried to use both systems as part of an inclusive magic rules set for spell casters. Something like Sorcery becoming the "Rituals" part while the Magic becoming the flashy-utility ones (not every spell on Magic is a flashy one, some of them are just amazing and pretty versatile I love Wall and Seal).

Yes, we did it in one of our settings. There Magic is the "Low Magic" which can be learned by

everyone with an at least average INT and POW while Sorcery is the "High Magic" which requi-

res long years of scholarly studies to learn and master, but includes more powerful and reliable

spells and is the necessary foundation for the development of new spells, both Low Magic and

High Magic ones.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Actually I did something similar to how Rust has described, and it seemed to work out reasonably well.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Zomben; It's all good. I don't receive notifications either. I am curious now though. If I understood correctly, Magic World would have all the Sorcery spells from Elric and the Bronze Grimoire plus a few additions such as the Lure Spirit spell mentioned elsewhere. I'm curious what the 'Extra' Sorcery spells in 'Advanced Sorcery' will be. Also, I've seen a few samples of magic items. Will there be rules for creating such or is that a 'lost art'? also, there is mention of binding spirits to ask as addition INT for 'holding' spells. Is there the possibility of something like familiars and Wizards Staves as per BGB's 'Magic'?

As always, thanks for everyone. I may not always agree :) but I always try to listen and give consideration.

The extra "Advanced Sorcery" spells in the Advanced Sorcery supplement are drawn from Charles Green and Richard Watts' "Gods of Law" and "Gods of Chaos" unpublished manuscripts.

As in "Elric!" creating enchantments ("Magic Items") is the province of the GM. PCs can still create minor items by binding spirits/demons into things.

The Staff/Wand rules from the BGB are included in Magic World, as are systems for binding a variety of spirits into things (POW Spirits give you MP to spend, Spell Spirits store magic for you, freeing up your Free INT, etc.)

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

As in "Elric!" creating enchantments ("Magic Items") is the province of the GM.

There are some cursory rules on Enchantments for the Elric! RPG here that should be compatible with the new Magic World.

Magical Enchantments for Elric!

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)