BRP & CoC Critters

rogerd

BRP & CoC Critters

Okay is it me folks or has anyone else noticed that in the BRP Core book, CoC Dark Ages & Malleus Monstrorum & Runequest - we have different stats for: elementals, vampires to name but two. Is there a reason for this?

Edited by rogerd

RuneQuest, CoC, and what would become BRP diverged early in their histories. So, for example, RuneQuest elementals have a SIZ measured in cubic meters and a few characteristics based on that "size", while other games simplified matters by making elementals more like other creatures. Likewise, each game adapted "vampires" in their own particular way: RuneQuest vampires started as creations (priests?) of the Gloranthan god Vivamort, while CoC vampires developed to emulate gothic literature.

Stats for all imaginary creatures will always differ depending on the game's concept of how dragons, corporeal undead, ghosts, vampires, elementals, robots, etc. "work". Even real creatures might differ depending on how a particular variant interprets STR, SIZ, DEX, etc. In the downloads section I have a short document presenting robots without CON or POW to reflect that they typically lack self-healing abilities and psychic/magical presences; in the comments someone asked me to work them up with CON and POW apparently because he/she thought CON and POW didn't imply biological mechanisms or supernatural power. The same document presents golems which differ from those in OpenQuest, Age of Treason, Merrie England, Jelmre of RuneQuest, Abominations from The Bronze Grimoire, etc.

So, short answer, there's no real "official" version across all lines. Each line, sometimes each book, stats out creatures depending on the authors' interpretation of each creature. Pick whichever version you like best, or whip up your own; it's not hard.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

When I use a creature in one of my settings I usually modify its stats and skills

according to its specific background and role in the setting, which often results

in a creature which is significantly different from the generic version or the ver-

sions of other settings. An obvious example are horses, my Thule setting needs

a smaller, but more hardy version of horses than most other settings - less STR

and SIZ, but a comparatively higher CON. I think that the authors of official ma-

terial will also adapt the creatures to the setting, which leads to the differences

you mentioned.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Although I think I've got it down now, critter stats were one thing that really threw me when I started delving into BRP. They're so darn arbitrary, particularly when it comes to SIZ and STR and damage. In other systems I've played, a horse is a horse, of course, of course (which the GM can beef up if he wants a mutant or something). In BRP, a horse is whatever the GM and the dice are feeling like today.

Although I think I've got it down now, critter stats were one thing that really threw me when I started delving into BRP. They're so darn arbitrary, particularly when it comes to SIZ and STR and damage. In other systems I've played, a horse is a horse, of course, of course (which the GM can beef up if he wants a mutant or something). In BRP, a horse is whatever the GM and the dice are feeling like today.

I usually avoid this problem by narrowing the range of possible stats, using the

creature's average stats and rolling the die only for a small bonus or malus to

these values (max. +2 /-2). Creatures with stats significantly above or below

the average values are designed for a specific role or situation in the setting,

never randomly created.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

A big horse is bigger than a small horse, in the same way that a big man is bigger than a small man.

A horse is a horse is a horse, but a Shire horse should not have the same stats as a Shetland pony ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Okay is it me folks or has anyone else noticed that in the BRP Core book, CoC Dark Ages & Malleus Monstrorum & Runequest - we have different stats for: elementals, vampires to name but two. Is there a reason for this?

Elementals are interesting because they are very setting-specific. Moocokian elementals are not the same as Gloranthan ones and these aren't the same as medieval European elementals.

Vampires are more likely to be generic, apart from their vulnerabilities. Gloranthan vampires, for example, can walk in the daytime and do not have to be invited into a house.

I would say that most creatures should be tweaked for a particular setting.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

A big horse is bigger than a small horse, in the same way that a big man is bigger than a small man.

A horse is a horse is a horse, but a Shire horse should not have the same stats as a Shetland pony ...

How do people vary the move rate as to be honest all humans having 4m is a bit ludicrous, Usain Bolt is a darn site faster that's for sure.

all humans having 4m is a bit ludicrous

Thats very true and one of the minor weirdnesses in the BRP system. Move should be a stat like Str or Con (or at least based on something) rather than a fixed number for every type of critter. But I guess it saves on the math...

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Thats very true and one of the minor weirdnesses in the BRP system. Move should be a stat like Str or Con (or at least based on something) rather than a fixed number for every type of critter. But I guess it saves on the math...

A while ago I was having a discussion in the nWOD forums and someone passed this link my way:

Speed conversion online.

I'd probably need to find the RQ table with speed rates on, but it may be easier to have siz + str then divide by 5 to get move per second.

So 10 + 10 = 20 / 5 = 4m every second which is about 8 mph. Which sounds about right for an average person..

10 + 10 = 20 / 5 = 4m every second which is about 8 mph. Which sounds about right for an average person..

Actually, thats pretty close. In the BRP Movement Rates Table a sprinting man moves at 50 meters a Combat Round. 4 m per second equates to 48m a Combat Round getting you almost exactly the 'average' sprint.

I'd probably want to mix in CON as well as STR and SIZ but that does look like it works.

Actually, thats pretty close. In the BRP Movement Rates Table a sprinting man moves at 50 meters a Combat Round. 4 m per second equates to 48m a Combat Round getting you almost exactly the 'average' sprint.

I'd probably want to mix in CON as well as STR and SIZ but that does look like it works.

Good point, perhaps take out the fatigue table, and maybe players have derived stat equal to CON which they burn during furious activity? Not sure how you'd make that work or write up to be honest.

Lets Stat up Usain Bolt!

At 6'5" (77" or 1.96m) his SIZ is going to be 16 (ignoring his weight of 200lbs SIZ 12!)

His personal best 100 m: 9.58 (according to wikipedia) using that Speed conversion link makes 23.55 mph! or 10.5 m per second

So STR ?? + SIZ 16 = 52.5/5 = 10.5

Oh! I think I would have to create a Running skill for Mr Bolt because I dont think his STR is 36.5

Lets Stat up Usain Bolt!

At 6'5" (77" or 1.96m) his SIZ is going to be 16 (ignoring his weight of 200lbs SIZ 12!)

His personal best 100 m: 9.58 (according to wikipedia) using that Speed conversion link makes 23.55 mph! or 10.5 m per second

So STR ?? + SIZ 16 = 52.5/5 = 10.5

Oh! I think I would have to create a Running skill for Mr Bolt because I dont think his STR is 36.5

I knew there would be a flaw somewhere :)

Although not sure quite how to fix that...unless.....he could have a heroic / legendary ability that would bump speed?

EDIT: So for Usain he can run 44 mph - shit that's fast :) Which equates to 19.67.

Edited by rogerd

If you're going to muck around with MOV. The best I can come up with is STR+SIZ+CON /6, without going into bell curves or other mathematical weirdness.

In my opinion Mr Bolt should be disqualified from appearing in the Olympics because he is obviously a mutant/super with an unfair advantage over normal people!

If you're going to muck around with MOV. The best I can come up with is STR+SIZ+CON /6, without going into bell curves or other mathematical weirdness.

I think your method would work better, and any kind of progression curves would be excessively complicated for an RPG.

In my opinion Mr Bolt should be disqualified from appearing in the Olympics because he is obviously a mutant/super with an unfair advantage over normal people!

Or doing a very bad job from hiding from the MiB. I agree he makes us normal folk seem sub-normal.

You what I just thought of a really simple way of working this out, in fact I cannot believe i didn't think about it.

Siz + Str (dex if you prefer) = miles per hour. So Usain bolt would have stats of 20, or so.

Anyhow, as this is a CoC Critter thread I'm thinking about if we stat some up.

Highlander

Flint-like / Man From Earth Immortals

Vorlons and Shadows

Some beasties from Who

Does anyone else feel like doing any others?

Edited by rogerd