glorantha

golden wheel dancer

why couldnt it happen?

First Age and Godtime etc are free for development.

But perhaps there are politics of which I am unaware.

It would be so cool

First Age is open for development, that's right. (I can't see Godtime being suitable for BRP though, that's more HQ-material).

I don't see it happening for two reasons:

1) If Chaosium would do it, they would have to pay Greg for a license. As they are publishing some settings on their own, I doubt they would spend money on Glorantha now.

2) If someone else should do it, they would have to pay both Greg and Chaosium. Financially that would probably be difficult.

But yes, it would be way cool! :P

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

why couldnt it happen?

Pop quiz: who said, during the first big thread about Mongoose doing RuneQuest at RPGNet that the intent was to create "the same system but not the same copyright words"?

Who's website still says RuneQuest was/is a very poor system to represent Glorantha ( here )?

First Age and Godtime etc are free for development.

But perhaps there are politics of which I am unaware.

It would be so cool

Meh. Stafford and Chaosium couldn't come to a deal two years ago for whatever reason (if they even tried), I can't seeing them doing so now and frankly, Glorantha will not help sales of the new BRP: it's already supported by two in print rule systems in different eras and even if Mongoose would countenance another licensee (which, given the apparent terms of their Traveller license, I doubt), I really don't think the market would sustain it.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Pop quiz: who said, during the first big thread about Mongoose doing RuneQuest at RPGNet that the intent was to create "the same system but not the same copyright words"?

Was that actually said openly? By who? Mongoose or Stafford? :confused:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Yeah, I think there is some bad blood between Greg and what is left of Chaosium. It was originally Greg's company, and in the mid 90s, Chaosium did split off into three different companies, with Issaries being the Glorantha company.

While Chaosium could probably broker a deal. I don't think they want to. I think if they were interested in publishing more Glorantha they would have produced HeroQuest.

I really doubt you'll see Greg and Chaosium working together on something again. Otherwise I doubt there evern would have been an MRQ.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Was that actually said openly? By who? Mongoose or Stafford? :confused:

SGL.

Gotta love Google.

You can find the quote here: RPGnet Forums - View Single Post - Mongoose doing Runequest?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

RQ came first.

BRP came second.

BRP was RQ with bits filed off. CoC's BRP was BRP with bits filed off. Ringworld was RQ3 with bits added on. Stormbringer was BRP with bits filed off and bits added on.

They are all interconnected.

Where's the problem?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

But, regarding Glorantha, I can't see Chaosium producing anything for Glorantha.

Second Age is sewn up by RuneQuest, Third Age is sewn up by HeroQuest. First Age would be interesting, but I don't think Glorantha could support three ages and three systems at once.

However, that doesn't stop people producing systems and settings that are compatible with both RQ and BRP and could even be used in Glorantha or in other worlds.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

RQ came first.

BRP came second.

BRP was RQ with bits filed off. CoC's BRP was BRP with bits filed off. Ringworld was RQ3 with bits added on. Stormbringer was BRP with bits filed off and bits added on.

Where's the problem?

I don't see a problem in there either.

Now tack Mongoose RuneQuest at the bottom and there is a problem.

MRQ is not a BRP game. It is not even related. The most one could say is that it was "inspired" by the original RuneQuest, but it is a separate game system.

HeroQuest is also not a BRP game. It is it's own game. It shares a game world with RQ, but that's it.

So why do people have a problem with MRQ, but not HQ?

I would be interested in hearing peoples answer to that one, but I will try to answer it myself as well.

No one has a problem with HeroQuest because it does not try to pretend to be something it is not. It was a brand new game that was created to better capture the feel of Glorantha the way Greg Stafford saw it. That is fine! You may or may not like the system, but you can't accuse it of trying to be something it is not.

The same can not be said for MRQ. We have been told that MRQ is the new version of RuneQuest. This would suggest that it is the same game that we played before, but just a different version. But it is not, it is an entirely new game and is just claiming to be RuneQuest. Just because it has the name, doesn't make it the same game. That is why people became upset.

As I said before, I would be interested in hearing other people's opinions on this.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

30/420

However, that doesn't stop people producing systems and settings that are compatible with both RQ and BRP and could even be used in Glorantha or in other worlds.
(emphasis mine)

Produce settings like/for Glorantha? Really? Somehow I doubt it. I've included a sort of mini-Glorantha in my campaign world (of Sartar/Prax exiles), but I presume Mr Stafford would sue if it made any money.

Or do you think a world that captured enough of the essence of Glorantha could be sufficiently un-like it to avoid legal problems?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

But, regarding Glorantha, I can't see Chaosium producing anything for Glorantha.

Second Age is sewn up by RuneQuest, Third Age is sewn up by HeroQuest. First Age would be interesting, but I don't think Glorantha could support three ages and three systems at once.

I pretty much agree with everyone else here.

Chaosium has gone one way and Glorantha has gone another.

Never in a million years / 420

Waiting for the finished product? ;)

30/420

(emphasis mine)

Produce settings like/for Glorantha? Really? Somehow I doubt it. I've included a sort of mini-Glorantha in my campaign world (of Sartar/Prax exiles), but I presume Mr Stafford would sue if it made any money.

Or do you think a world that captured enough of the essence of Glorantha could be sufficiently un-like it to avoid legal problems?

Oh, oh! I know!

"The setting will be the same world, not the same copyrighted words."

It could have a race of Dark Trulls that worship Kigur Littor. Humaked could be the God of Death. And of course you could have a war between the invading Loonies and the rebel Orlunthi. Watch out for those Hurricane Cow berserkers!

• Haha 1

30/420

We have been told that MRQ is the new version of RuneQuest. ... But it is not, it is an entirely new game and is just claiming to be RuneQuest. ... That is why people became upset.

Rightly upset. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Just like tomatoes. I hate tomatoes. It's the... the... pretence. The lies, the deception. They sit there, pretending they're a vegetable - but they're not! They'e a... ...a fruit! I don't like tomatoes. ;)

Since you ask for opinions, I'll say I still can't get rid of the thought that GS has deliberately let Mongoose cobble-together a d100-based version of D&D using the RuneQuest name, in the hope of air-brushing real RQ from history - while probably also hoping BRP and MRQ, too, will fail - leaving only HQ... :eek:

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

"The setting will be the same world, not the same copyrighted words."

It could have a race of Dark Trulls that worship Kigur Littor. Humaked could be the God of Death. And of course you could have a war between the invading Loonies and the rebel Orlunthi. Watch out for those Hurricane Cow berserkers!

Brilliant! :thumb:

(I propose that the cult of Kigur Littor should be a "Blank Religion" - that there will never be an officially published write-up for it ;)).

And this new homeworld for BRP needs a name. Anyone?

(Time to shift to the 'BRP worlds you'd like to see' thread?)

RQM is close enough to the other RQs to count as a valid version.

Sure, it's not brilliant and has flaws and I wouldn't use it as my main system, but it has some good ideas and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

From my point of view, BRP is just another version of RQ. It has a lot of rules I don't like and a lot of things I won't use, just like RQM. Is one better than the other? Maybe, maybe not. The playtest was interesting but the game seemed to be moving further away from RQ, a bit too far for my tastes.

It certainly seems more coherent than RQM, but even after playtesting and checking it still needs extensive alterations. That's why I won't be buying the Zero Edition, that and I bought 3 Mongoose RQ books that are now combined into one, so I'll be damned if I buy a Zero Edition and then have to buy a full version of BRP.

I'll wait, I'll buy it and I'll use bits of it. It won't be my prime system, any more than RQM will be, but I'll get some of the supplements and I'll use them in my games.

Its unfortunate really. I would love a Gloranthan sourcebook for BRP but alas it's not going to happen........ Or is it!

Some one could rewrite Glorantha for BRP remembering the couplet...

The game will be the same 'setting', not the same copyrighted words.

As intimated by the Stafford himself.

I would love to play an armoured swan wondering about Dragon's Ass and Prix!

You never know.

Ken. :)

• Haha 1

125/420

I'm a programmer by trade and I've worked on systems that have been taken by two different groups and both worked on independently, with major alterations so that they ended up as separate systems. However, they were still fairly compatible, even after several versions. I see the same thing with RQ/BRP. It's a meta-view rather than an in-depth point-by-point view.

(emphasis mine)

Griffin Island

SDLeary

Its unfortunate really. I would love a Gloranthan sourcebook for BRP but alas it's not going to happen........ Or is it!

Sure it is. Or has. Moon Design's republished RQ works are still in print. Completely compatible with BRP.

And Mongoose's Glorantha the Second Age core book is effectively system agnostic; perfectly usable with either/any system.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Some one could rewrite Glorantha for BRP remembering the couplet...

Only if Greg Stafford gave permission first. Glorantha is a protected Intellectual Property. If you did a 'rewrite' to fit BRP specifically without acquiring a licence or the appropriate permission, they'd be opening themselves to litigation.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

RQ came first.

BRP came second.

Where's the problem?

Not quite. Strombringer was far more RQ2 than BRP based. In fact, all the RQ2 era RPGS were RQ2 with bits fired off, except for WoW.

Enen the post RQ3 era games are more CoC based than BRP.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.