glorantha

golden wheel dancer

I think the key things are that Greg has said that there are some aspect of Glorantha that he doesn't care about, and that the Second Age ends with pretty much everything being destroyed.

So:

1) Greg doesn't care about MRQ

2) Anything Mingoose comes up with will get destroyed anyway.

But, anyone with any interest in Glorantha pre-Mongoose knows that the Second Age ended very badly with the Closing of the Oceans, the Sinking of Slontos and Dragonkill. So, most of the areas covered by Mongoose will not exist past the end of the Second Age.

So what?

Third Age Glorantha ends with Argrath killing all the Gods. Elric's world gets destroyed. Corum kills all the Chaos Gods. The End of Time logically ends with the end of the universe. That doesn't make those settings really good for roleplaying and doesn't stop people writing about the setting.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Personally, I really don't care what Gregs motivation is - I have really enjoyed the Second Age Glorantha material so far. It is not as good as the old Gloranthan Classics, but then I doubt anything could be, as I look back at those through the rose tinted glasses of a middle aged gamer looking back at the glory days of his role playing youth. The fact is I've bought a bunch of books, none of them have sucked, some have been very good, and as a whole body of work I'm happy with my investment.

Greg has indeed produced some good second age reference, and Mongoose has done a good job expanding on it. Greg's Middle Sea Empire and MGP's Jrustrela (one of my favorites so far) is a good example of the relationship. I'm sure part of his motivation is financial, and that is OK by me. He's a smart guy, and probably could have made a lot more money in lifetime had he dedicated his life to something other than Glorantha (though probably wouldn't have quite the cult following he does). I'm happy for him to 'cash in', and I use that phrase lightly, as I doubt the Mongoose license is actually buying a lot of sports cars for him.

I've run Second Age with heavily houseruled MRQ and with MRQ 'by the book' and plan on running them with BRP as well when finally released. IT has all been fun, which is what counts.

Perfect? - no freakin way - but worth the effort.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Playing in the second age has some advantages. The world is shaken but not destroyed. The catastrophes don't have happened yet, so maybe a group of heroes can do something to lessen the impact, for example they could break the siege of Zistorwal and help create Zistor.

Or if all their attempts fail, they can rebuild the world, they can overthrow the Only Old One, they can resurrect that Moon goddess or create the Cult of Silence.

The second age does not have to end as badly as previously written.

The PC can be the founding heroes of the third age.

Regards

Jean

I'd be inclined to shout "Questworld" if we could get enough people to want to game in the same fantasy setting. Some sort of baseline setting would be nice, as long as the rules don't limit other uses of BRP.

I think any "in house" setting needs to be "in house" at Chaosium. ...

That was precisely the original motivation behind Gwenthia, albeit we wandered quite some way from that original motivation fairly rapidly...

The difficulty is there is no "in house" at Chaosium: ... Indeed, and perhaps something that this community could do in it's wiki, or on a clsoed sub set of the forums?

What was the concept behind Questworld? Gates from which you could travel form world to world or something like that?

Not a bad idea. A problem could be agreeing on the type of setting/world to create though.

Fantasy earth, with all the myths being true, could be one idea.

OK, there are problems with existing proprietary worlds. Another problem is editorial control.

BUT...

If the "QuestWorld" concept allows travel between worlds, then it's easy. Anybody who has their own world, and wants to take part in the project, can publish what they have. (Perhaps in the downloads section of this very site, if Mr.T would be so kind). If you like someone's setting, and develop additions to it, just ask them if they'll include it as "canon" for their world - if they don't like it, you can mark it up as a "parallel of XXX's world" and publish anyway. Some may get popular, and some not. Maybe polls, download counts or ratings could be rigged up, and the download list arranged as a "league table". (Brutal, if your beloved creation languishes at the bottom, but...)

That way it could be both QuestWorld and Fantasy Earth, at the same time...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

What was the concept behind Questworld? Gates from which you could travel form world to world or something like that?

I can't see anything like that in what few descriptions of QuestWorld I can google. Or was the concept just the same old 'blank lands' thing (or 'let everyone have an island')?

Anyway, your inter-world gates idea is much better: authors would keep complete control of their own worlds (universes, even...)

Anybody who has their own world, and wants to take part in the project, can publish what they have. ...the download list arranged as a "league table".

Is nobody interested in this project? Doesn't anyone want to put their own world forward as a prospective 'New Glorantha' for BRP?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Has anyone thought of just asking Greg if they can use a licence for Glorantha with BRP?

He is quite approachable if you have detailed brief on the project in mind.

The person publishing Glorantha for BRP would need to pay for two licenses, both to Greg and Chaosium. Could be costly.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.