Cthulhu Rising

nclarke

I am considering starting a CR campaign with the imminent release of Prometheus this week. I see that the author's web site has not had much in the way of activity in recent years. Is the material still being developed? Is it likely to be turned into a proper Chaosium release?

Has anyone got any suggestions for material that could be incorporated in such a campaign?

Nigel

I think the author of Cthulhu Rising is currently busy working on

Rivers of Heaven, an Open Quest science fiction setting without

any Mythos elements.

Another Cthulhoid science fiction setting with some interesting

ideas which could be borrowed for a Cthulhu Rising campaign is

Cthulhu End Time.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I am considering starting a CR campaign with the imminent release of Prometheus this week. I see that the author's web site has not had much in the way of activity in recent years. Is the material still being developed? Is it likely to be turned into a proper Chaosium release?

Has anyone got any suggestions for material that could be incorporated in such a campaign?

It's pretty easy to borrow stuff from 2300AD, Aliens, Cyberpunks Near Orbit and Deep Space supplements as the broad feel is similar. There is a LOT of material on John's site: several scenarios (for both military and civilian PC's), significant expansion / elaboration of the setting compared to what's in the two published monographs.

Beyond what's already available what specifically are you after?

Cheers,

Nick

CthulhuTech (from what I've read) doesn't seem to match the feel I'm looking for. My players for this game like to chill on a Friday evening and not think much so too much investigation is not something that appeals. Having a campaign involving hitting things seems to match their Friday night no brain required style.

The Aliens feel of much of the Space Marines material will fit the group while the depth of the material published so far seems to provide me with the incentive to run the game.

I was mostly intrigued by some of the scenario material and interested in some of the part finished campaign/scenario material.

Nigel

I'm preparing an Eldritch Skies campaign for the the summer. Its a bit like Star Trek (the original series) meets the Old Ones. Uses the Cinematic Unisystem rules as seen in All Flesh Must Be Eaten and Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. Hard-copy due out this year. Set your phasers to fun!

Here's a review from rpg.net.

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

....I see that the author's web site has not had much in the way of activity in recent years. Is the material still being developed? Is it likely to be turned into a proper Chaosium release?

Without giving too much away the answers to your questions are; Yes & No.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I have CthulhuTech and I love the setting...sort of a ROBOTECH meets Cthulhu vibe...but the non BRP rules left me cold...so I had to rework all the rules, which was not really worth it really...but the background material was nice...but trying to work the dhohanids and tagers was a royal pain...the rules had more in common with Storyteller and Palladium than they did BRP...

-STS

• 4 months later...

It's my understanding that John is busy with River of Heaven and once that is out of the way a newly revised and updated Cthulhu Rising is on the cards. As far as I can tell it will be done using Open Quest and published by D101 Games - but I might be wrong as getting blood out of a stone would be easier than getting information on progress of this line.

Nigel

I like to keep you all on your toes with a slow drip drip of info when it suits my diabolic processes :)

Joking aside Mr Clarke is not wrong, I've not made a formal announcement because we are still up to our necks with River of Heaven/OpenQuest 2/The Company/Other D101 stuff, and both me and John are double dads with a young family and hectic real lives . I didn't want to promise something we couldn't deliver or give release dates that I can't meet (I got my fingers burnt with River of Heaven on that one ;) )

The current plan is to a self contained core book sometime in 2013 and see how it goes from there.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Hey Newt it's more of a drip than a drip, drip. But seriously I couldn't find out anything until getting an update here from Nick M. Surely the fact that John is planning to take CR to a indie publisher and intending to update the product should be newsworthy and warranted something on the D101 site before the more recent updates. A running drip, drip of data on the progress of RoH would build anticipation rather than a very irregular now and then approach.

A decent bit of regular, say monthly on the same day, self-promotion would help keep D101 and it's ranges in the public eye.

Nigel

Nigel

Speaking of Cthulhu Rising, it doesn't appear to be available from the Chaosium Monograph pages anymore...

The PDF is still available, though, under Downloadable Books. These days, I buy games on PDF: cheaper and they don't take up room in meatspace.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG