D100 vs. D20

Guest Vile Traveller

There haven't been too many votes (138 when I checked out the link) but still a little surprising. From what I see, the vast majority of gamers play D20 based games (at least in my experience). I hate the system myself but for number crunchers and power-gamers, i do see the appeal.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the thread and I chalk it up to D20 glut and RPGNet Opens love for alternative than mainstream games. :D

Plus, not only is there a bit of support for BRP and Mongoose over there, Unknown Armies is a favored son and Rolemaster is nostalgic.

70/420

• 2 weeks later...

I like the facvt that D100 is leading, but not the reasons why. It has little to do with the size of dice rolled. Its about everything else but the dice.

Skill based vs. Class based.

Skill based instead of Level based.

Fixed HP vs. Increasing HP.

Active Defense vs a Static Defense (AC)

Injuries vs. Generic HP loss.

Degrees of Success vs. a Pass/Fail system (okay Pass/Fail/Critical with attack rolls).

THose are the real differences. Not the dice. Just rolling a bigger die doesn't mean that much, unless you use it to adjust the effects somehow. A 60% success chance is the same, and the difference between 60% and 62% really isn't worth bothering about. I'd much rather play a skill-based game like RQ or BRP using D20s than play a class/& evel game like D&D that uses D100s.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

You know, I really like the heft of the d20. Something satisfying about rolling it. But I seem to have a boatload of d10's all over the place. Probably from playing ORE, Nemesis/Reign. And Unknown Armies, Call of Cthulhu...

Anyone ever actually use a d100? I mean like one of those Zocchihedron's you see at stores every so often.

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

Skill based vs. Class based.

Skill based instead of Level based.

Fixed HP vs. Increasing HP.

Active Defense vs a Static Defense (AC)

Injuries vs. Generic HP loss.

Degrees of Success vs. a Pass/Fail system (okay Pass/Fail/Critical with attack rolls).

THose are the real differences. Not the dice.

Yes, this.

But regarding the lesser matter of physical dice, I have some die-in-die d100's (a little d10 inside a larger clear-plastic d10) - which are cute.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Anyone ever actually use a d100? I mean like one of those Zocchihedron's you see at stores every so often.

Yeah, I actually have one, but I had to glue it together because the clear outside came apart one time. I hardly ever use it though, two d10 just work much better!

I'm not so worried about d100 vs d20, I more prefer a skill based game system over a level based one. How you resolve tasks doesn't matter as much to me.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I'm not so worried about d100 vs d20, I more prefer a skill based game system over a level based one. How you resolve tasks doesn't matter as much to me.

To me it does matter... Not a lot, of course, but still a bit.

The D&D system uses a D20 + adds system, which can be quite boring when a combat occurs between PC and a dozen of NPC - especially when there are a lot of bonuses and penalties. The BRP system, with its roll under a score is much faster: comparing two numbers is always quicker and simplier than adding them together.

Having said that I fully do agree with Atgxtg and what you wrote here:

I'm not so worried about d100 vs d20, I more prefer a skill based game system over a level based one.

The main difference between D&D and the BRP system is not the type of dice used.

Yes, this.

But regarding the lesser matter of physical dice, I have some die-in-die d100's (a little d10 inside a larger clear-plastic d10) - which are cute.

I saw some of those, and they are cool. Fairly practical too, they guy who was using one didn't fumble it half as much as he did 2D10s.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The main difference between D&D and the BRP system is not the type of dice used.

The poll isn't about the system. It is about the dice, the mechanical portion. Not D&D vs. BRP.

Edited by hanszurcher

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

Yes, this.

That sounds cool. I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Yeah, I actually have one, but I had to glue it together because the clear outside came apart one time. I hardly ever use it though, two d10 just work much better!

I gave one of those a roll in store once. Hated it. But then again I'm getting a little old. I agree, d10s all the way.

Guest Vile Traveller

FEH! You yunguns and your fancy d10s! I remember when we had to use a pair of d20s! And roll them up hill, in both directions!

And we had to paint half the numbers a different colour so that when it was used as a d20 we could claim the reds were high or low, depending on what worked best for us and on how good the referee's memory was.

The poll isn't about the system. It is about the dice, the mechanical portion. Not D&D vs. BRP.

Of course... But both are very connotated. When you say D20 to someone who knows roleplaying games, he immediately thinks to D&D. And when you say D100, he immediately thinks to the BRP system... I'm sure that at least one voting in two was influenced by this connotation.

Of course... But both are very connotated. When you say D20 to someone who knows roleplaying games, he immediately thinks to D&D. And when you say D100, he immediately thinks to the BRP system... I'm sure that at least one voting in two was influenced by this connotation.

Sure. That was brought up in the original thread.

And afterwards, our dad would come home and beat us to sleep with a broken bottle, and we were happy for it.

Yeah, the good old times, when rubber boots were still made of wood ... B-)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

[Re. Die-in-die D100]

That sounds cool. I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Here you go...

Clear Red Double 10 Sided Dice - Game Master Dice

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.