D100 vs. D20

Guest Vile Traveller

That's a double edged sword. Especially when people look at the starting %, or at % over 100. Realistically, nobody misses somebody in melee over half the time. Nor does anybody have over a 100% chance of succeeds at something. Triying to exaplain that to newbies can be a problem.

Have you ever seen beginning archers? They certainly miss over 50% of the time.

Check out this video of a couple of beginners:

The is also true for beginning swordsmen.

In any event, the BRP game starts most characters at 75% in their best skills.

Serves 'em right for using a bow in melee, that is close combat. Ranged combat is a different matter. My point is that people generally hit what they swing at. When they don't it is usually because the other guy did something.

[qupte]

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Check out this video of a couple of beginners:

In any event, the BRP game starts most characters at 75% in their best skills.

The commonly listed effective range of a weapon used in many games, is the range that a qualified shooter will score a hit 50% of the time.

I think the biggest issue people run into in this regard is comparing their score at the range with the accuracy in combat. It isn't that hard to consistantly hit a non moving, not shooting back target. Under stress it is not nearly as easy, and the skill % assumes a character in combat, not at the range.

I think the biggest issue people run into in this regard is comparing their score at the range with the accuracy in combat. It isn't that hard to consistantly hit a non moving, not shooting back target. Under stress it is not nearly as easy, and the skill % assumes a character in combat, not at the range.

This is exactly what I thing. Most training situations are easy: a non moving target, no stress at all, all the times you want to aim... So in training situations archers double their skill.

Likewise, most of what we do in our ordinary life is easy actions. Who among us would try to do something very dangerous or something very important without being sure to have a very good chance to succeed? Unless being very well trained, we don't try to climb a dangerous cliff just for fun...

Finally, if murderer can kill someone with a sword an axe or a knife without a good medieval training, this is due to the fact that their victims doesn't move. their either attacked by surprise or chocked by the fact of being attacked.

Under stress it is not nearly as easy, and the skill % assumes a character in combat, not at the range.

It does not even have to be the severe stress of a combat. Back when I was in the

military we had a pistol training where we fired one magazine at a target, then ran

for ten minutes with full gear at full speed, and immediately afterwards fired the se-

cond magazine at the target. While the rounds of the first magazine would surely

have killed a human, almost all of the rounds of the second magazine missed the tar-

get. In game terms, my skill dropped from about 75 % to less than 10 %.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Clearly, "what I like" is awesome, and a well-considered, educated opinion. While "what other people like" is stupid, and just a bunch of made up gobbledygoook.

sigged

Clearly, "what I like" is awesome, and a well-considered, educated opinion. While "what other people like" is stupid, and just a bunch of made up gobbledygoook. - zomben

Victor of the "I Bought, We Won"

The commonly listed effective range of a weapon used in many games, is the range that a qualified shooter will score a hit 50% of the time.

BTRC's Timelords used to explain the skill ratings as the ability to hit a target while under stressful (i.e. combat) conditions. I once had a player who could shoot well in real life get a bit annoyed with his relatively low skill rating in TimneLords. He told me that he could hit a deer more often than that. I explained to him that the skill represented his chance of hitting a deer if the deer were shooting back, and under non=stressful situations he would get to double his skill. That went over alright.

With the addition of easy/hard tasks, in BRP, I thing the same logic could apply. Non-stressful use of the skill would be easy (x2 ability). In fact, we could even make some shorts difficulty (half skill) for those whoa re not used to combat. In the real world ,most firefights take place at ranges of about 20 ft/7m, and less that 20% of shots hit.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember something close to that actually I still have a wax d20 that has 0-9 on it twice and I have a d100 as well though I do not use either anymore. They are quite old To go with the d20 wax I also have a d12 wax the others to the set got destroyed.