Spam prevention - registered and confirmed user groups

To avoid the latest problem with blog spam, I've created a new usergroup called "Confirmed User", which have the same privileges as the old "Registered users" group. Members are automatically promoted to the new group once they've been registered for at least 10 days AND posted 10 posts in the forum.

The privileges of the old default usergroup "Registered users" have been nerfed in that all blog post are put in the moderation que, they can't upload files to the download section and can't use links in their signature. I have also pruned a lot of users with no post that haven't been logged on for a long time.

This should help reduce the spam-problems we've been having, without hindering the active members of the forum. Hopefully. :tu:

Cheers,

Trifletraxor.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Is there a way to enhance the user registration method with some questions? Not just Captcha is working these days, but over on generic-rpg.net, I've had great success with two things. A field that requires a "raison d'état" or Justification and then a plug-in that requires the correct answer to a question. The question is fairly simple and related to gaming with several valid answers. So far, this has helped eliminate anyone who's not there for legitimate reasons. Coincidentally, all users must be approved. :-D Just scanning the user emails is easier; if they answer the question I get a 2nd scan of their reason to ensure they are real.

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

When I first visit the site, and I'm still logged in, I get redirected to a /content page. However, it shows a site error "you don't have permission to view this resource". Should we be redirected to a different page? Or am I still in the NEWBS group?

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

The site does have Q&A verification for registration now (What is the three letter abbreviation for BasicRolePlaying? See the upper left corner if you need a tip.), though no manual approval as I'm often AFK for long periods of time travelling.

The site error message is obviously somthing wrong. I'll check it out.

Edit: Site error fixed. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Edited by Trifletraxor

Trif, I'm still getting the error message:

Agentorange, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

When I try to look at the main site, I'm ok to get to the forum but no joy on the main site.

OK, here's what's happening to me:

1. I load http://www.basicroleplaying.com and I see the front page ... but I'm not logged in.

2. I log in.

3. I'm redirected to http://basicroleplaying.com/content.php ... "fmitchell, you do not have permission to access this page", blah blah blah

Maybe this will go away when I make my 10th post. I don't post that often (except in bursts), so that might be a while.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Back from timetravelling. Sorry for the clod up! Should be fixed for all now. O:)

Cheers,

Triff.

EDIT: One piece of blogspam came through. Think I've closed the loophole now.

Edited by Trifletraxor