Sign in to follow this  
Vile

AEON:engine™ In The Making

The latest news is that AEONS™ will become the AEON:engine™. The reason is deceptively simple: the core rules are going to cover a wider range of historical gaming than the ancient period originally intended, and additional books will branch into fantasy and SF. So, what we have is really a family of books under the A:e banner.

The decision came about because there are have been a number of related games brewing in the background to deal with later fantasy eras from dark ages through medieval to renaissance and early industrial ages , mainly to ensure cross-compatibility for later publications. In the process, I realised there would not be a great deal of additional material until the introduction of firearms. The result has been that, in game terms, a more convenient cut-off “date” for the AEON:core™ book will be the modern day. This will allow users the maximum flexibility in designing their settings while keeping the book down to a manageable size.

I say “deceptively simple” because this does mean a bit more work – but, hey, progress is never as fast as expected for these cottage industry projects so I’m sure it won’t have a significant effect in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you for your patience!

Edited by Vile

That reminds me, I must prod the logo man again. :)

Edited by Vile

I'm prodding! In the meantime, any chance of updating the forum name with an "S" on the end, pretty please? O:)

Oh, and what size banner do you need in pixels?

Edited by Vile

Right, time for some more apologies! Some of you might have noticed me moonlighting in the OSR crowd with my BLUEHOLME™ project, which has kept me off the BRP Central streets for a while. Now, because DTRPG would really like me to put something on their site that's actually going to earn its keep, unlike AEON:core™ with its massive $0.00 price tag, the next book out of the door will be the BLUEHOLME Journeymanne Rules™. So, more waiting, chaps.

Then it's back to the AEON:engine™.

Edited by Vile

Right, time for some more apologies! Some of you might have noticed me moonlighting in the OSR crowd with my BLUEHOLME project, which has kept me off the BRP Central streets for a while. Now, because DTRPG would really like me to put something on their site that's actually going to earn its keep, unlike Ancient AEONS Starter Edition with its massive $0.00 price tag, the next book out of the door will be the BLUEHOLME Compleat Rules. So, more waiting, chaps.

Then it's back to AEONS.

So do you figure that the release of some old WotC DnD material on DTRPG is peaking interest in BLUEHOLME ?

Only to the extent that it gives me more excuses to name-drop ... ^_^

Actually this was just an interesting coincidence. I expect a lot of people are downloading BLUEHOLME™ when they see it in the "people who bought the D&D Classics also bought these" section, but I can't really say if there is any connection. It's certainly very popular (it's free, after all) and the reviews have been generally positive. BLUEHOLME™ is based on an earlier version of the rules than those they have been re-releasing, so there's no direct comparison. Mind you, if people do see a copy of the Holmes Basic book on DTRPG one day, no doubt they'll want to get BLUEHOLME™ so they can make sense of it ... :P

Edited by Vile

I'm still working on the BLUEHOLME™ Journeymanne Rules, so it will be a while before I get back to the AEON:engine™. However, looking in detail at many other systems during this time has given me a lot of ideas regarding A:e, particularly regarding the core values of consistency and minimalism.

Edited by Vile

In further news, I'm embarking on the final chapter of the BLUEHOLME™ Journeymanne Rules. This is only the first draft of the manuscript so there's still plenty of editing, layout, and an artwork Kickstarter campaign in the works, but the end is in sight. Thereafter - well, those of you who haven't given up on the AEON:engine™ will get your just rewards. One day. ;)

Thank you for your patience! :P

Edited by Vile

Thanks! Don't tell my BLUEHOLME™ fans, but they are my guinea pigs - I have learned many valuable lessons that I'd rather not have tested on AEONS™ ... :lol:

Edited by Vile

EDIT: this is all irrelevant now. :P
Edited by Vile

Well, don't worry, it's back to D100. :D

Edited by Vile

AEON:engine™, just to be clear, isn't a book in itself - it's just a collective name for all books using the system.

Edited by Vile