Swords of Cydoria. WOW

rpgstarwizard

Farewell Jorune, Goodbye Barsoom, See you later Talislanta!!! I found a world that makes you all pale.in Comparison. I just got my copy today and the wait was worth it. I am blown away. After gming and gaming since 79 I think is one of my top 5 settings. I think I see influnces from all the above plus Mobius Azrach, Den, even the old black and white Buck Rogers. This is an excellant piece of work. And can easily open to all sorts of ideas. ThanksChristian Conkle.

• Like 1

...Mobius Azrach, Den....
Yikes. These names are in my distant memory, conjuring up early 80s mature scifi/s&s graphic novels...hmmm interesting, this setting sounds like great sword and sorcery if the inspiration is anything to go by

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yes, I am the same Christian Conkle.

I read a lot of issues of old Heavy Metal comics when doing the early writing and visual design for this book, so there is an intentional thematic allusion. I was trying to create a setting that felt like the Taarna sequence of the Heavy Metal movie, with a little bit of Ralph Bakhshi's Wizards.

Christian Conkle

Blogs: Geek Rampage! - Swords of Cydoria - Exiled in Eris

• 1 year later...

I started my first Swords of Cydoria campaign last night. There were two characters: Kitra, a Demetrian noble and embittered veteran of a lost war; and Felix Tarse, an apparently clean and upstanding Norukarian merchant who secretly dabbles in smuggling and techno-heresy. On the low-tech outskirts of the refinery town of Tagrum on the Sea of Messages the two met up with the mysterious Collector, an alien smuggler, and his steadfast Awan guards. The Collector wanted them to investigate a mountain in the western wilderness of Haru, where he had located large amounts of valuable and powerful elements. Unfortunately this mountain was claimed by a rather xenophobic group of Samirian warriors. Furthermore a previous expedition by another techno-heretic, the Bone Man, had not returned...

We didn't get a whole lot done, but I certainly found the setting was fun, full of ideas and promise and easy to get started, even without much knowledge of the setting from either GM or players (why I started my campaign on the frontier). My players spent a lot of time drooling over the equipment lists (the Collector offered to outfit them -- within reason -- for the expedition). A couple more players have made characters (a cyberdroid assassin and a Guernan warrior) so I'm looking forward to my next session of 'The Mountain of Power'.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've seen some supplements in my time but Swords of Cydoria is well worth the money I paid for it. There is a huge amount of stuff in the monograph. And the background is very well written, detailed and highly entertaining. There is a millennia of play in that one book. 

• Like 1

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

10 hours ago, Questbird said:

I'm currently playing the Blade of Takasha, the followup adventure.

I just downloaded that free scenario. Chris Conkle puts a lot of effort in to his creations. I'm very impressed. 

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

That's the great thing about looking randomly through this forum: You stumble on stuff you would have never, ever heard about that might be right up your alley. Most Tech-Fantasy-Settings I've seen yet have been a disappointment in one or the other way; and since Sarah Newtons new edition of Chronicles of Future Earth keeps me waiting, I guess I should take a closer look at this ... it's probably just the one book and nothing more ever came of it? I coulden't find any product called "Blade of Takasha".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jakob said:

I coulden't find any product called "Blade of Takasha".

Use the Force young padawan and all things may be possible!   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6xE1pCRjmlNaWwxWTNmbDZvSHc/edit  Chris Conkle's blog is here if you want to check it out. http://cydoria.blogspot.co.uk/

This BRP monograph also got re-worked/re-released as 'Exiled in Eris' (no longer quite BRP, since that doesn't really exist anymore). Great setting though.

http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=130

And the scenario which was included in the original (The City in the Mirage, which I've just finished running) is available from there too.

• 1 month later...

Swords of Cydoria and Fractured Hopes are my go to roleplaying settings. I often mash them up. In fact I ran the Swords mission in a Fractured Hopes world during the last campaign I ran. It went absolutely sideways and I loved it.

Great settings both of them.