Why is BRP not that popular?

Enpeze

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly like Sorcery. In fact, I prefer it over the "standard" magic system and I use it in my own campaign. I just think that for a starter game, a magic system and a psionic system are sufficient. It allows you to cover the two main pillars of generic rpgs, fantasy and sci-fi. Then, a supplement based on alternative powers could be released that would cover super powers, sorcery, mutations, as well as things like shamanistic and divine magic

The thing is, to me, there are four main pillars of generic gaming - fantasy, sci-fi, supers and modern occult. If you look at all the major gaming titles ever made, most of them seem to fit into these categories - and BRP core should account for all of them. Having just fantasy and sci-fi catered for undermines the 'genericness' of the game in my view.

I could see an argument for removing Sorcery, and leaving just Magic (although I much prefer the former system for modern occult settings in particular - or even just for dark fantasy), and as I said, I'd have prefered them to integrate Mutations into the Powers section.

To be honest though, there is no hard and fast rule as to where you you draw the line. It was suggested in playtesting to combine all the powers systems into a single unified whole - but it was rejected outright in playtesting. It is also worth noting that the BRP Magic monograph contains all the old RQ3 magic systems - which are totally different to the core!

The cover is indeed awesome! The Vitruvian man idea was indeed inspired and it makes the whole book really eye catching and classy looking. Absolutely a cut above the covers of other generic systems on the market.

http://cid-24754a9c6ae72498.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/JAGS%20art.gif

Not sure who was inspired first. :)

I useĀ  fantasygrounds.com