Great Mazinger (Mecha teaser of the week)

RosenMcStern

[table]

[tr][th]gmaz06.jpg&altez=150&scritta=Encirobot.com%20-%20%A9%20Toei%20Doga,%20Dynamic%20Planning,%20Asahi%20Tsushinsha[/th][/tr]

[/table]

[table]

[tr][th]STR[/th][th]SIZ[/th][th]POW[/th][th]DEX[/th][th]APP[/th][th]DB[/th][th]MOV[/th][th]Armour[/th][/tr]

[tr][th]96[/th][th]93[/th][th]48[/th][th]-[/th][th]-[/th][th]+1d6[/th][th]5* [3fly][/th][th]6 [3Energy][/th][/tr]

[/table]

* MOV is 3 underwater if the leg thrusters are active, spending 2 PP per round.

[table]

[tr][th]Configuration name[/th][th]Short form[/th][th]Time[/th][th]Description[/th][/tr]

[tr][th]BRAIN CONDOR SWITCH ON![/th][td][/td][td]1 round[/td][td]Standard configuration.[/td][/tr]

[tr][th]JET WINGS[/th][td]wing[/td][td]5 DEX[/td][td]Mazinger sprouts wings and can fly[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table]

[tr]

[th]Location[/th]

[td]R Leg[/td]

[td]L Leg[/td]

[td]Torso[/td]

[td]R Arm[/td]

[td]L Arm[/td]

[td]Head[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]R Wing[/td]

[td]L Wing[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[th]Melee[/th]

[td]01-04[/td]

[td]05-08[/td]

[td]09-12[/td]

[td]13-15[/td]

[td]16-18[/td]

[td]19-20[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]15[/td]

[td]18[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[th]Missile[/th]

[td]01-03[/td]

[td]04-06[/td]

[td]07-15[/td]

[td]16-17[/td]

[td]18-19[/td]

[td]20[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]17[/td]

[td]19[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[th]Config[/th]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]wing[/td]

[td]wing[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[th]AP[/th]

[td]6[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[th]HP[/th]

[td]4[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]5[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[th]Sections[/th]

[td]Thruster [/td]

[td]Thruster [/td]

[td]Engine [2],[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Cockpit [2],[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Missile [3][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Th. Break [3][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]B. Burn [4][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]G. Typhoon [4][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[table]

[tr][th]Device[/th]][th] Position [/th][th]Cost[/th] [th]Notes[/th][th]Config[/th][/tr]

[tr][td]Engine[/td][td]Tor [2][/td][td]-[/td][td]Generates 5 PP per turn[/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Brain Condor[/td][td]Hea [2][/td][td]-[/td][td]Cockpit, ejection mechanism[/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Thrusters[/td][td]Tor [5][/td][td]2PP/turn[/td][td]Twin thrusters on back[/td][td]wing[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Thrusters[/td][td]Leg[/td][td]1PP/rnd ea.[/td][td]Foot thrusters, +10% handling [/td][td][/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table]

[tr][th]Weapon[/th]][th] Position [/th][th]Type[/th][th]Damage[/th][th] Range[/th][th]Cost/Ammo[/th] [th]Notes[/th][th]Config[/th[/tr]

[tr][td]Brawl[/td][td] -[/td][td] Brawl [/td][td]1d6[/td][td]close[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]ATOMIC PUNCH[/td][td]Arm[/td][td]knock[/td][td] 1d8[/td][td] 10 [M][/td][td]1 PP each[/td][td]Twin [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]DRILL PRESSURE PUNCH[/td][td]Arm[/td][td]knock[/td][td]1d8+1[/td][td]10 [M] [/td][td]1 PP each[/td][td]Twin, 5 DEX to ready[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]NERBLE MISSILE[/td][td]Tor [3][/td][td]explo[/td][td]1d10[/td][td]10 [M] [/td][td]-[/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]BREAST BURN[/td][td]Tor [4][/td][td]heat[/td][td]1d6[/td][td]6 [/td][td]4 PP/round[/td][td]Rad beam[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]GREAT TYPHOON[/td][td]Hea [4][/td][td]knock[/td][td] -[/td][td] 6 [/td][td][/td][td]Enhanced knockback [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]GREAT BOOMERANG[/td][td]Arm [1r][/td][td]thrown[/td][td] 1d10[/td][td] 10 [M][/td][td][/td][td]Returns, 5 DEX to ready [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]THUNDER BREAK[/td][td]Hea [3][/td][td]elect[/td][td]1d6[/td][td]8 [M][/td][td]4 PP/round[/td][td]Rad beam, open air only[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]MAZINGER BLADE[/td][td]Arm [1t][/td][td]Melee[/td][td]1d8+db[/td][td]close[/td][td]Impale, 5 DEX ea. to ready[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]MAZINGER BLADE[/td][td]Arm [1t][/td][td]Thrown[/td][td]1d8[/td][td]5 [M][/td][td]Impale, 5 DEX ea. to ready[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]KNEE IMPLULSE KICK[/td][td]Leg[/td][td]Melee[/td][td]1d6+1[/td][td]close[/td][td]Impale[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Edited by RosenMcStern

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Breast missiles do 1d10 damage each.

Thanks! ;D

How do you handle scaling? For example, a fight between a mecha and a dinosaur or a Great Old One?

Do you also have rules for tricky borderline cases like "nested" power armors (à la Gordian Warrior)* or transformable power armors (à la Hurricane Polymar)? Is the latter case, along with other things like Hiroshi Shiba's transformations, to be to dealt with the BGB's superhero rules?

* Maybe this is not a tricky case at all, and the three power armors are just to be treated like three different mechas?

Edited by MatteoN

Do you also have rules for tricky borderline cases like "nested" power armors (à la Gordian Warrior)*

Different shapes of the same thing are handled via configurations. I was horribly afraid of this problem during the design phase, then I just decided to KISS (keep it simple stupid) and everything was solved. I had a moment of panic when a player chose to play Getter Robot during a playtest, but instead it was a lot of fun: "OPEN GETTER" - "CHANGE GETTER DRAGON" and there you go.

Mazinger has two configurations, one with wings and one without, but only the location pattern changes in this case. In the case of Gordian (as I suspected, only Italians can recall ALL robotic series from the 80s) the Mecha has three configurations with different stats, and even the SIZ class is different among the configuration: Class 1 for Protesser, Class 2 for Dellinger, Class 3 for Garbin.

Transformable power armors (à la Hurricane Polymar)? Is the latter case, along with other things like Hiroshi Shiba's transformations, to be to dealt with the BGB's superhero rules?

Both Polymar and Hiroshi's cyborg form are superheroes, not Mecha. They can be handled with the superpowers in the Big Golden Book. You can find Jeeg's stats in the original BRP Mecha thread. I have also stated out Hiroshi, I will post the sample stats sooner or later.

If you don't mind, I go on asking unashamedly geeky questions. ;D

Is SIZ CLASS the criterion by which you distinguish between proper mechas and superpowered beings like Hurricane Polymar (and perhaps man-sized robots like Kyashan's transformable robot-dog, Friender), so that strictly speaking there aren't man-sized mechas?

Also (restating a previous question), do the rules support the interaction between a giant robot and huge "beings" like a T-Rex, Godzilla, Chtulhu, Ultraman or Megaloman?

Edited by MatteoN

If you don't mind, I go on asking unashamedly geeky questions. ;D

Anything geeky is welcome here, I suppose.

Is SIZ CLASS the criterion by which you distinguish between proper mechas and superpowered beings like Hurricane Polymar (and perhaps man-sized robots like Kyashan's transformable robot-dog, Friender), so that strictly speaking there aren't man-sized mechas?

Not exactly. SIZ class is what helps you distinguish between a Robotech Valkyrie (SIZ Class 2) and a Code Geass Knightmare Frame (SIZ Class 1).

Also (restating a previous question), do the rules support the interaction between a giant robot and huge "beings" like a T-Rex, Godzilla, Chtulhu, Ultraman or Megaloman?

Perhaps Guillermo Del Toro's last movie has something to do with your question?

If you stat the kaiju in such a way that the scale factor is compatible, yes. It all boils down to whether you consider Godzilla 100m or 200m tall (this would make it SIZ 30 or 60 in BRP Mecha) or smaller. In the 1998 movie, it is 100m long, the size of a ship, but it is killed by F18 missiles, which should have the same effect as fireworks on a being of that size. In BRP Mecha, the biggest thing an F-18 can launch - a Harpoon - does 1d10 damage. There is no way such a big creature could be killed by a few hits of something doing 1d10. Note also that in Shin Jeeg the Haniwa Genjin (SIZ Class 3) intercepts the Harpoon launched at it by the ship, so it considers itself vulnerable to them. That said, I think Godzilla is depicted as SIZ Class 30 in the movie, but behaves as SIZ Class 4 or 5.

OTOH, if you take the Cthulhu stats from CoC and divide Damage Bonus, Armour and Hit Points by 10, you have an opponent which is about the same power level as a Mecha. However, Cthulhu can not be really destroyed...

The second scenario included in the book will feature small Kaiju as opponents.

Anything geeky is welcome here, I suppose.

Read further down if you dare, then!

Perhaps Guillermo Del Toro's last movie has something to do with your question?

Well, yes, but it also has to do with the fond memories of the only (very short) campaign I played in Mekton, more than fifteen years ago. I and two friends played... kaijus that defended Earth from alien invaders (the invaders were hot chicks from Venus). Actually, our characters weren't exactly kaijus; they were human sized cyborgs that transformed into giant "mechanical monsters": MechaBalrog (with a second face on his chest ;)), MechaCthulhu (with extendable electrical tentacles - as it is well known, absolutely the worst weapon a mecha can have, but so cool!), and MechaTyranid. The invaders piloted cool, shiny Gundam-like mechas.

That said, being a big fan of Guillermo del Toro, I am so sad for the apparent shipwreck of his project of filming At the Mountains of Madness. With Prometheus Ridley Scott has made a lousy (IMHO) movie, but the worse thing is that basing it on Lovecraft's novella he has also actively sabotaged what for me could have been a much more promising chapter in the history of contemporary fantastic cinema.

I don't know much about Pacific Rim, but I am hopeful.

If you stat the kaiju in such a way that the scale factor is compatible, yes. It all boils down to whether you consider Godzilla 100m or 200m tall (this would make it SIZ 30 or 60 in BRP Mecha) or smaller. In the 1998 movie, it is 100m long, the size of a ship, but it is killed by F18 missiles, which should have the same effect as fireworks on a being of that size. In BRP Mecha, the biggest thing an F-18 can launch - a Harpoon - does 1d10 damage. There is no way such a big creature could be killed by a few hits of something doing 1d10. Note also that in Shin Jeeg the Haniwa Genjin (SIZ Class 3) intercepts the Harpoon launched at it by the ship, so it considers itself vulnerable to them. That said, I think Godzilla is depicted as SIZ Class 30 in the movie, but behaves as SIZ Class 4 or 5.

OTOH, if you take the Cthulhu stats from CoC and divide Damage Bonus, Armour and Hit Points by 10, you have an opponent which is about the same power level as a Mecha. However, Cthulhu can not be really destroyed...

The second scenario included in the book will feature small Kaiju as opponents.

Thank you very much for the thorough answer. I think that the "interfaceability" of mechas with the creatures of CoC and other BRP games might be a selling point: think, for example, of all the people that on rpg.net seem to dislike CthulhuTech (also) because of its system.

Edited by MatteoN

Is it just me, or does that handshake between Mazinger and Devilman remind you of the one between Batman and Robin during the credits of the '60s TV show?

Do you mean the handshake in the intro?

Also, Godzilla movies had Jet Jaguar, and Ultraman had Godzilla (with a neck frill and another name).

There even is MechaGodzilla! Mechagodzilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, mecha-kaiju-superhero crossovers are absolutely canon in the original animes:

Not exactly absolutely canon. While the crossovers do exist, there is some debate as to if they take place in an alternate universe or not. Typically, to get the crossovers to work, the various mecha had to be scaled so that they were all roughly on the same scale as far as their abilities go. It wouldn't be very satisfying to fans if their favorite mech was completely outclassed. Often the crossoevers took place against the objections of the creators of a given series.

For example, Go Nagi was not in favor of the various crossovers between Mazinger Z, Getter Robo Go, and Grendizer. Grendizer is supposed to outclass the earlier mocha, especially Mazinger Z (that's why Mazinger Z's pilot get's reduced to sidekick status) but they couldn't let Grendizer steal the show, so the mecha were all all balanced out. I believe when asked about the crossovers he says they just took place in an alternate universe.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Not exactly absolutely canon.

Thanks for the infos! I wasn't aware of these details, but probably the Demon Tribe agreeing to forming an alliance with the human Doctor Hell didn't make much sense... I understand that motion-picture animes seldom square(d?) with the regular series, though (just think of Nausicaa or Akira).

Often the crossoevers took place against the objections of the creators of a given series.

There are two other crossovers that are far more reliable with regard to showing Go Nagai's take about the various series: Dynamic Heroes, a Flash animation showing all robots plus Cutey Honey and Devilman, and the mute animation that you can easily find on youtube, showing all Mecha including Jeeg, Gloizer, Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser. In both series, all robots are the same size although Shin Getter, Grendizer and Mazinkaiser are clearly shown as more powerful.

BRP Mecha uses those as "canon".

Thanks for the infos! I wasn't aware of these details, but probably the Demon Tribe agreeing to forming an alliance with the human Doctor Hell didn't make much sense... I understand that motion-picture animes seldom square(d?) with the regular series, though (just think of Nausicaa or Akira).

It is usually a case of corporate profits overriding the wishes of the creator. Generally the company execs thing it is a great way to make some fast cash, and the author lacks the ability to stop the project, so he either walks away, or goes along and tries to mitigate the damage.

It tends to comae back and haunt companies later, too, since they have to deal with this sort of stuff when they do sequels. In fact, I think it helped contribute to the endless Space Cruiser Yamato sequels.

There are two other crossovers that are far more reliable with regard to showing Go Nagai's take about the various series: Dynamic Heroes, a Flash animation showing all robots plus Cutey Honey and Devilman,

"Cutey Honey" that you for the orginisal spelling. I'd rather have "Cutey Honey", than "Cutie Honey."

I recall reading somewhere that when asked flat out which of his mecha would win in a free for all, Go Nagi replied, "Cutey Honey."

and the mute animation that you can easily find on youtube, showing all Mecha including Jeeg, Gloizer, Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser. In both series, all robots are the same size although Shin Getter, Grendizer and Mazinkaiser are clearly shown as more powerful.

Not surprising as Shin Getter and Mazinkaser were deliberatly created to give the earlier series parity with Grendizer.

BRP Mecha uses those as "canon".

Cool, but as BRP Mecha is a toolkit, we can fine tune things as we wish.

Definitely. The only notable point is that the book suggests an "even start", that is no Super Robot is twice or thrice as big as another. Maybe more powerful, but not overwhelmingly so.

Generally good advice. I can see a few series where the heroes have to face tough odds where that might not hold, but for a RPG it is certainly a good bit of advice.

Speaking of "even starts" how does Mecha handle that? Do you get a point total of some sort that indicates relative abilities of the mecha? Or do GMs determine the limits based on things like the AP and db?

Speaking of "even starts" how does Mecha handle that? Do you get a point total of some sort that indicates relative abilities of the mecha?

Absolutely not. No "point build". I am really sick of trying to hammer the square peg of staying true to the anime into the round hole of point buy systems made for games that have nothing to do with anime. I experienced this in the 80s with Battletech, and did not like it. You create the Mecha you wish to pilot, and that's all. Whether it stays true to an anime - and so Grendizer outclasses Mazinger by about a 2:1 factor - or it manages to keep things even, it is up to you. The rules just say that there is no "50 m tall" robot where the average of the other Mecha is 18m, and do not describe "end of the world" attacks like Solar Attack or Getter Shine.

Of course, if you are playing something akin to Macross, where the Mecha are actually transformable fighters, most pilots will have similar vehicles. The rules include a system to "buy" upgrades for your vehicles with a Status roll, though, so that your performance in previous missions may help you gain better performance. But it is the GM who determines which upgrades are available, and which of them can be bought permanently versus the ones which can only be assigned for the duration of one mission.

Edited by RosenMcStern